General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More Weight Training = Better Results? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-10-23 11:37 AM
in reply to: FrankMilena

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: More Weight Training = Better Results?
Originally posted by FrankMilena

Improved power, muscle endurance, correct muscular imbalances

Power - for what duration?

Muscular endurance - more so than the specific endurance built riding your bike?

Imbalances - have you had an assessment and know what imbalances you have?

Shane

2014-10-23 11:41 AM
in reply to: #5062424

I believe it will. As an athlete you will have more economical movements which will lead to less energy wasted.

What do you base your theory on? Actually trying it or just reading?
2014-10-23 11:41 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by FrankMilena 15min of specific excercises geared to the sport. If you are riding for 45min , 15 min of squats, leg presses, squats for example.
If your high level rider stuck at a plateau I could see the merit in it. However think about this for a second. Are your squats going to focus on the same exact muscles and intensity rate as you pushing on your pedals? ---No Will the squats overload your muscles faster than pedaling on your bike?--yes So if you don't have enough muscle to pedal your bike doing squats will be effective until you have the muscle to turn the pedals over- however it generally takes less strength to turn you pedals over than it does to do a body weight squat. Then the most effective way to strengthen the muscles for cycling is to ride your bike more.

I think just the opposite.  I think the OP will likely see benefits and get faster as he is starting down his triathlon road.  BUT....the time will come when he will have to do more swim/bike/run specific work in order to keep getting those gains.

I don't think you have to quit doing strength work.....but the type of work you do to continue making gains becomes more specific to your race..  HIll repeats on the bike, overspeed treadmill for thr run, hand paddles/parachute in the swim are all examples of "strength training" that will reap benefits toward a faster race.

Lifting weights......maybe at first......not as you progress.

2014-10-23 11:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by FrankMilenaHowever at this point I wiil continue to work on my own theory or logic/training program and see how it goes.
There really is nothing wrong with strength training if that's what you want to do. It's you're theory and logic that is a bit cloudy. You are basically picking one aspect of change that you experienced recently and deeming that as the sole cause of your improvements...and ignoring all the other changes that could have (or more likely) played a factor as well.In scientific experiments, you need to isolate the variables you are trying to test. That's what you're missing in this "experiment" you are trying.

I like this explanation. Weight training focuses on making a certain muscle group stronger. In the meantime, at any given moment swimming, biking, or running, you're using multiple muscles like neck, back, quads, calf, etc. You're killing two birds with one stone or you could say you're killing multiple birds with one stone.

I think the problem is the generalization of the question you are asking. "More Weight Training = Better Resutls?"
I would consider bench press to be weight training. Would it improve my running? Probably no.
You could do bunch of squats. Would it improve my hill attack on the cycling? Maybe, but you need to strengthen other muscles as well. Hip extensor, knee extensor, ankle plantar flexors, ankle dorsi flexors, knee flexor, hip flexors, etc... and I haven't even started on the upper body.

Do you have the time and expert resources to focus on your weak muscles? Do you have unlimited amount of time to do both the swim, bike, and run and also the additional weight training? You might, but majority of the people don't. So if someone asked "More Weight Training = Better Resutls?" The answer will always be "spend more time swimming, biking, and running". If you want speed, do intervals, go ride or run up and down the steepest hills.

Edited by Tmanishere 2014-10-23 12:21 PM
2014-10-23 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by FrankMilena One thing I find very interesting about this thread is the negative response towards weight training in tri training. Hey I get it. You want to improve at SBR you should do SBR. However weight training will have its benefits as will yoga to overall fitness. I would like to hear from someone who tried this approach and saw negative results. Mind you I am not saying to do less sessions of SBR, maybe less yards/time and incorporate weights into the mix. Example 45 min bike ride followed by 15min work out of compound movements.

I think any perceived negativity towards strength training or crossfit or anything other than swim/bike/run comes down to time management.  And I am speaking from my own personal experience.

I want to run faster, bike faster, swim faster.  The best way to do that is to train specifically at these activities.  To make significant progress in three disciplines at the same time is very, very difficult when you look at the time commitment involved in getting in enough sessions in each to improve.  There is not a huge amount of cross benefit between these activities when you reach a certain level.  You have to work hard and put time in to EACH one.  While other activities may be enjoyable there is little to support their overall benefit to swim/bike/run.

Quote from Jack Daniels:

"Specificity of training. The system which is stressed is the one which stands to benefit from the stress. While training for one particular sport usually has little or no beneficial effect on your ability to perform a second sport, in some cases there may actually be a detrimental effect. An example of this would be the negative effect that long-distance running has on explosive leg activities, such as sprinting and jumping. The same thing could be said for what body building would do for distance running; the extra muscle mass developed can act as dead weight, interfering with a runner's ability to optimize his or her distance-running capabilities.

To become really accomplished at something, you must practice doing that thing, not some other activity, which may not only take time away from the activity of primary interest, but may also actually produce results which limit performance in the main sport. This is not to say that all non-specific activity is bad, but considerable thought must be given to every aspect of running, and you must know what everything you do is doing for (or to) you."

Edited by popsracer 2014-10-23 12:00 PM
2014-10-23 12:16 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by FrankMilena 15min of specific excercises geared to the sport. If you are riding for 45min , 15 min of squats, leg presses, squats for example.
If your high level rider stuck at a plateau I could see the merit in it. However think about this for a second. Are your squats going to focus on the same exact muscles and intensity rate as you pushing on your pedals? ---No Will the squats overload your muscles faster than pedaling on your bike?--yes So if you don't have enough muscle to pedal your bike doing squats will be effective until you have the muscle to turn the pedals over- however it generally takes less strength to turn you pedals over than it does to do a body weight squat. Then the most effective way to strengthen the muscles for cycling is to ride your bike more.

I think just the opposite.  I think the OP will likely see benefits and get faster as he is starting down his triathlon road.  BUT....the time will come when he will have to do more swim/bike/run specific work in order to keep getting those gains.

I don't think you have to quit doing strength work.....but the type of work you do to continue making gains becomes more specific to your race..  HIll repeats on the bike, overspeed treadmill for thr run, hand paddles/parachute in the swim are all examples of "strength training" that will reap benefits toward a faster race.

Gains come quickly for any newbies to the sport. I think to test the theory of riding more vs weight in the beginning we need to find some identical twins and put them on 2 different controlled plans. Do you know any twins that want to volunteer?

Hill repeat, paddles, parachutes, overspeed training I see as ways of incorporating higher intensity in those sports still doing the exact same motion not really weight training.

The merit I see in weight training at the high end is mostly in your stabilizing muscles, ones that may not be worked as hard during your ride, run, or swim. Also the faster stronger you get, it becomes more difficult to overload those muscles, so doing some weights may help. This also becomes athlete specific. In this thread I don't really think we are talking about the high end athlete, I believe the question was geared to the average age grouper.

2014-10-23 12:36 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Gains come quickly for any newbies to the sport. I think to test the theory of riding more vs weight in the beginning we need to find some identical twins and put them on 2 different controlled plans. Do you know any twins that want to volunteer? Hill repeat, paddles, parachutes, overspeed training I see as ways of incorporating higher intensity in those sports still doing the exact same motion not really weight training. The merit I see in weight training at the high end is mostly in your stabilizing muscles, ones that may not be worked as hard during your ride, run, or swim. Also the faster stronger you get, it becomes more difficult to overload those muscles, so doing some weights may help. This also becomes athlete specific. In this thread I don't really think we are talking about the high end athlete, I believe the question was geared to the average age grouper.

True enough on the bolded.....I was thinking more in line with strength training instead of weight training.  I just don't know an application for weight training that can help make you faster or fix imbalances over other methods of "strength training".  We have a lot of weights in our home gym......we use the racks to hang bikes and the dumbells are covered with mats, towels, tires, etc.

As for the twin deal.....I'm game....if you can get #2 to trade in her horse for a bike I'll get her and #1 to try the experimenht.......I'll make money on that deal.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-23 12:37 PM
2014-10-23 12:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

My background before triathlons was weight training with good leg workouts every week. I think the weight training helped me on the bike when I started the sport. I no longer do any significant weight training as I devoted most of my training time to the three sports except for some core work each week. It is only my "opinion" that my gains came from more time training in each sport and less in the gym. I always wondered if I would see more gains if I continued the weight training but I just don't have the time with work and family. I have no regrets dropping the weight training as I am in better health now compared to when I only did weight training.
2014-10-23 1:10 PM

User image

New user
penticton
Originally posted by FrankMilena

15min of specific excercises geared to the sport. If you are riding for 45min , 15 min of squats, leg presses, squats for example.

squats, leg presses are not specific to the sport of cycling. If you want to do strength training specific to biking, I would recommend you to go on your bike and do some big gear work at higher intensity.

That is a concept that is often misunderstood; SPECIFICTY..... you can squat very heavy weight, but it wont allow you to produce more power over a long period of time on a bicycle. It will only help you squat more rep or heavier weight.

Let me use a real world exemple

I m working with 2 very interesting athletes

#1 Male, 30s, 180lbs Olympic weight lifter, Olympic level, national titles. Now making the transition to triathlon...as all the strength in the world to squat, dead lift etc...

#2 Female 20s, 2nd pro at ironman 125lbs nothing impressive in the gym or in person....

They both have very similar power(watts) on bike, She of course as a much high watts/KG and on a half ironman or ironman distance, I pick her as the fastest as she will ride in the 5:0X range and 2:20 range for half distance. while we also need to take into consideration aerodynamic, in the end, over a 2-5h period, there average power is very close....

While he as a background of weight training and a very powerfull person, it as very little relevance to the sport of triathlon. We still need to work on his aerobic system so he produce good power over long period of time. On the other hand, she as a superbe aerobic engine after 10+ years of developpement

strength isn't the limiter for either of them..... it wont give them anything to be able to leg press more or squat more...the improvement will come from developing what matter for endurance sport. AEROBIC system/Specific strength

There is plenty of valide reason why someone would want to do weight training. getting faster in triathlon isn't one of them.

Edited by jonnyo 2014-10-23 1:14 PM
2014-10-23 1:32 PM
in reply to: #5062018

Thanks for all of your thoughts, opinions and ideas.

I will continue with what I started. I believe it has its benefits. If in the long run it doesn't work out, at the very least I will know it does not based on my own personal experience and I will adjust according to my needs in the sport.
2014-10-23 1:48 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

x2 to what johnnyo said.

When people think about "power" in cycling, it really has very little to do with the type of power required to do squats.  400 watts would be considered a lot of power in cycling, yet it is roughly the same amount of power required for a 70 kg person to walk up stairs.  IOW, if your legs are strong enough to walk up stairs, then they are strong enough to push 400 watts on the bike.  The question is...HOW LONG CAN YOU SUSTAIN IT?  That's not a question of increasing power, or building more muscle...it's a cardiovascular question of endurance.

My guess is that if the OP continues what he's doing, he's going to get faster.  It generally happens when one is not as active, and then starts spending time doing activity...regardless of the activity.  The OP could go incorporate hiking, skiing, and chopping wood into his training and it would likely improve his overall fitness.  But as Shane mentioned...to what end?  And when do you start realizing that changes in overall fitness will not reap as much benefit as specificity...such as running more.  

2014-10-23 1:53 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by S_Franklin99 There are enough PROS that incorporate a large amount of strength training into their regimes for me to find it worth while. Plus, I enjoy it. As I've started on this adventure, the first coach/trainer I've turned to is a STRENGTH trainer. I feel that I need to build the muscle to be able to sustain a long swim/bike/run. We've focused on the basics of how strength affects form. Lots of squats/lunges, RDLs and single leg stability. I to have seen run and bike times decrease as my ability to generate power has increased. I will continue to keep strength training a part of my weekly routine.
There's so much wrong here I just don't know what to say. Enjoying strength training is an excellent reason to do it. Overall health is as well. Getting faster at triathlon is, sadly, not.

Chris... allow me.

Originally posted by S_Franklin99 There are enough PROS that incorporate a large amount of strength training into their regimes for me to find it worth while.

You're not seeing the forest through the trees here.  What are the reasons the pros incorporate ST into their regimen?  Why they do it vs why you think you should do it are very different.  You're making an incorrect assumption that strength is somehow limiting your performance.  Your aerobic fitness is what is limiting your performance.  To improve that you need to increase your aerobic conditioning.  Swimming, cycling, and running for example.  ST is anaerobic.  Until you have reached your peak of aerobic fitness, which I can guarantee you're nowhere near, ST will be of little to no value making you faster.

Professional triathletes are near their peak of aerobic conditioning.  In that case, strength "may" be the limiter in extracting that extra 1% performance gain that separates them from the win or podium.

Ask yourself... are you at the absolute peak of your aerobic conditioning?  The answer is a resounding no.  Once you get down to a 3:50 70.3 or 1:50 Oly you can worry about extracting that miniscule performance boost out of the weights.

Originally posted by S_Franklin99I feel that I need to build the muscle to be able to sustain a long swim/bike/run.

Medical science and physiology say otherwise.

Let's play a game.  Guess which group of folks are endurance athletes and which are not.

or

or

2014-10-23 1:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

x2 to what johnnyo said.

When people think about "power" in cycling, it really has very little to do with the type of power required to do squats.  400 watts would be considered a lot of power in cycling, yet it is roughly the same amount of power required for a 70 kg person to walk up stairs.  IOW, if your legs are strong enough to walk up stairs, then they are strong enough to push 400 watts on the bike.  The question is...HOW LONG CAN YOU SUSTAIN IT?  That's not a question of increasing power, or building more muscle...it's a cardiovascular question of endurance.

My guess is that if the OP continues what he's doing, he's going to get faster.  It generally happens when one is not as active, and then starts spending time doing activity...regardless of the activity.  The OP could go incorporate hiking, skiing, and chopping wood into his training and it would likely improve his overall fitness.  But as Shane mentioned...to what end?  And when do you start realizing that changes in overall fitness will not reap as much benefit as specificity...such as running more.  

And I would add in the another part he said in getting used to working hard. It's usually easier to do that with something really short and intense.

2014-10-23 1:57 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by FrankMilena I believe it has its benefits. If in the long run it doesn't work out, at the very least I will know it does not based on my own personal experience and I will adjust according to my needs in the sport.

Part of the frustration you are probably getting from people's responses is that this is wrong.  You will not "know".  All you will know is what you did and what happened.  You will not know "why".   You will not know, for example, what would have happend if you had done something differently.  You will not know how much the strength training is contributing and will certainly not know if you would have performed better by replacing it with more sport specific training.  There are very good reasons to guess that you would be better off with the latter (several explanations provided in the posts above).  But continue to do what you want and enjoy.

2014-10-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

The second set of choices was a tough one...poor Andy.  

2014-10-23 2:16 PM

User image

Champion
Should have used the shirtless picture of Rasmussen.

Shane

2014-10-23 2:17 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

The second set of choices was a tough one...poor Andy.  

I typed in "Scrawny cyclists" and Google said "Do you mean Andy Shleck?"

2014-10-23 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Another good one:

And the aforementioned Rasmussen:

Shane
2014-10-23 6:49 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by FrankMilena Jajaja yeah ok crossfit. Love the feedback based on actually trying this approach.

Here's my feedback. I've been bike racing for the past 7 years, mostly road and track. My A race this year was some track races in Japan in July. I spent more time in the gym than ever and I do think it helped with my power on the track. However, I did gain weight and I think that was a disadvantage to me on the road.

There's so many other variables though, so I'm not sure I can be of much help.

2014-10-23 6:51 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Also, I read this recently and found it interesting.

http://www.ridethetrack.com/pdf/train_paulrogers.pdf

2014-10-24 5:24 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I will preface this post by confessing that I have NOT read the full original research referenced in the article below, but I will link the abstract...

The study in question evaluated the affect of strength training on cycling efficiency in MASTERS cyclists (compared to younger athletes). The study found that there was a slight trend of increased efficiency in the younger athletes, but it was not statistically significant. But there was significant improvement in cycling efficiency among the masters athletes. Improved efficiency = more power at lower energy cost. The theory is that the improved efficiency is most likely related to ST offsetting age-related loss in muscle mass.

So it does appear that strength training can be a benefit, especially for older athletes.

My take...

1. If you enjoy strength training, by all means do it.

2. Most age group athletes, especially older athletes, would probably benefit IN GENERAL from including some strength training in their fitness programs. Most of us are not getting paid to compete in triathlons, and strength training provides a whole host of benefits that are beneficial from a general health perspective. It may not make you faster, but it might keep you from getting slower - or slow down the rate at which that happens. Of course specificity of training is key - so I'm not talking about spending hours and hours in the weight room, but incorporating some strength training as a compliment to tri-specific training (as time allows).

3. Strength training *might* also help with injury prevention, and if you're injured, you can't train.

Here's the article I referenced above, as well as the abstract from the original research.

Edited by jsnowash 2014-10-24 5:30 AM

2014-10-24 7:22 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by FrankMilena I believe it will. As an athlete you will have more economical movements which will lead to less energy wasted. What do you base your theory on? Actually trying it or just reading?

Go back and re-read the posts by Shane, Jonathan, and the one by Jenny above.  They know what they're talking about, and are giving you good advice.  There is also a lot of good advice by other posters, but their's are all based on both science and their hands-on experience.

I'm a proponent of strength training for athletes, but not just general sessions and not at the expense of SBR training.  It needs to be specific to the individual, to correct imbalances, or help avoid imbalances to reduce the chances of overuse injuries, and in the case of aging athletes to help maintain muscle mass and bone density.

In short, what you seem to be saying that you're doing is going to result in a lower level of triathlon performance than if you listened to what the guys above are saying.

Edited by TriMyBest 2014-10-24 7:22 AM
2014-10-24 7:30 AM
in reply to: jsnowash

User image

New user
penticton
the problem with this study is, there is no controle group that dosnt do strength training, They compare strength training for a group of younger athlete with a group of 50+. Yes, it s obvious the 50+ will get more out of this.

But what about the controle group of 50 year old athlete that WOULD NOT DO strength training but instead replace that 3X a week strength program with 3 rides? Then we could have a honest idea of what is the contribution of strength training. Well, we already know from previous study. The added activity specific training will produce superior adaptation at all ages.

But as I said, many people will have a hard time understanding the physiology of traininig, read this article and claim that s the way to go. That s not what the abstract is telling us......

Riding 3 times a week and doing 3 strength training session is better than riding 3 times a week., But it s not as good as riding 6 times a week.
2014-10-24 7:54 AM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by jonnyoRiding 3 times a week and doing 3 strength training session is better than riding 3 times a week., But it s not as good as riding 6 times a week.

A very simple concept that for whatever reason gets ignored by many.

Most of us have finite time to workout.  Let's say you can get in 12 workouts per week.  If your goal is overall fitness then I have no issues with doing something like 3 swim, 3 bike, 3 run, 3 strength training.  If the goal is to become a better triathlete the person would most benefit from all 12 of those workouts being S/B/R.  It's that simple.

I have no issues with ST.  I have issue with folks that think replacing a SBR workout with ST somehow is better for triathlon (or the triathlon activities) than the SBR workout.

2014-10-24 8:15 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by jonnyoRiding 3 times a week and doing 3 strength training session is better than riding 3 times a week., But it s not as good as riding 6 times a week.

A very simple concept that for whatever reason gets ignored by many.

Most of us have finite time to workout.  Let's say you can get in 12 workouts per week.  If your goal is overall fitness then I have no issues with doing something like 3 swim, 3 bike, 3 run, 3 strength training.  If the goal is to become a better triathlete the person would most benefit from all 12 of those workouts being S/B/R.  It's that simple.

I have no issues with ST.  I have issue with folks that think replacing a SBR workout with ST somehow is better for triathlon (or the triathlon activities) than the SBR workout.

What about ST that is s/b/r based?  I don't do any of it, but my kid does quite a bit of it...... swimming with paddles, parachute, massive kick sets, and even pulling weight stacks...... hours and hours of hill repeats on the bike, overspeed treadmill run sessions and tons of intervals.....all strength work, but all incorporated into s/b/r workouts.  The results have been excellent as he continues to gain more speed and build a faster race.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-24 8:16 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More Weight Training = Better Results? Rss Feed  

of 4