General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More Weight Training = Better Results? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-10-22 8:59 AM

Subject: More Weight Training = Better Results?
I have been reading a lot about less cardio more weights for increased endurance.

My last block of training I could only run once a week due to achiles inflamation. So I increased my swim workouts and did more weights, mostly kettlebells.

My results where that I decreased my run by 3 minutes in the 5k to 24 min and my bike was actually the same but on more hills than my last race and finished way more relaxed then the previous race.

Has anyone else had these results with more weights?

2014-10-22 1:25 PM
in reply to: FrankMilena

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: More Weight Training = Better Results?

Correlation does not imply causation would be a very appropriate term to throw out here.

2014-10-22 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
It is much more likely that your legs simply needed a break. Once they were able to repair (and rebuild bigger and stronger!) that tendinitis and whatever other cumulative training stress you have amassed, you were more fit than ever.

Swimming will only marginally improve your run fitness, and kettlebells...not at all. This is almost certainly a case where correlation is not causation.

I'm curious...could you link to the less cardio for increased endurance articles?
2014-10-22 1:35 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Correlation does not imply causation would be a very appropriate term to throw out here.

x2.

There can be a ton of factors at play that were not mentioned...including a possible short course for the 5k...or maybe a long course that was the previous best 5k.

There are also things mentioned just in the OP...such as swimming more, and coming off the bike feeling relaxed.  More swim fitness generally means more energy for the bike and run.  Coming off the bike feeling relaxed generally means you run to your potential.

It very well could be that weight training had something to do with the OP's improved run, or it could be it had nothing to do with it at all. 

2014-10-22 2:04 PM

User image

New user
penticton
you mainly reduced your training load by running less..... ''you were rested and improved'' Mostly all athlete will react in a similar way to a reduce training load. you improved your 5km because of the work you put in before ''tapering your running''

In endurance sport like swim/bike/run, your are not strength limited but your aerobic fitness is the main components that need to be optimized.

putting energy into strength training the way you describe it as very small return on investment compare to more...swim/bike/run training.
2014-10-22 8:00 PM
in reply to: #5062018

Could be that maybe this approach works for some and not all?

I found that my form also improved due to the strength training.

This was not a taper, I had to stop running 6 weeks out and rest until 3 weeks out then I was able to do 1 30 min session per week.

If we attribute this to rest arent we saying over training is a bigger concern for triathletes then strength training?

2014-10-23 12:17 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by FrankMilena

This was not a taper, I had to stop running 6 weeks out and rest until 3 weeks out then I was able to do 1 30 min session per week.

If we attribute this to rest arent we saying over training is a bigger concern for triathletes then strength training?

I think we can safely say: one person who took time off running doing strength training came back and ran a faster 5k.
That is all.

If you want to make a generalized argument that strength training makes recreational runners faster, then you design and perform a rigorous study. (Or just look one up on http://scholar.google.com/

If you want to discover whether some recreational runners may respond more to strength training (while the rest don't), then you'd need a much bigger sample size to tease out other variables to bin the ST responders by shared traits...or again, look it up at http://scholar.google.com/

The reason why everyone (including me, I'm not innocent) is so quick to spout the default line: "correlation, not necessarily causation" is because you are linking two variables with no really great reason to do so. If you journaled every facet of your life, I'm sure you would find a dozen equally "obvious" correlations that would be be ridiculous to assume as causal (i.e. I ate 3 kiwis a week leading up to my previous PR, but only 2 when I hit the 24...therefore, less green hairy fruit made me run faster).
2014-10-23 1:44 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

There is some logical fallacy in this thread that I can't quite put a finger on, but...

Strength training can be a benefit from some people, yes. The majority of evidence says that it does not help, but some studies suggest that it can help (help what depends on what was being studied).

Plyometrics generally improve running economy.

Overtraining IS a big concern for triathletes. As a coach most of my time is spent holding people back in order to make them faster.

If the strength training seemed to help you then keep doing it. no study will tell you waht you should do with your own body.
2014-10-23 5:59 AM
in reply to: #5062270

Has anybody tried this approach directly?
2014-10-23 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by FrankMilena Has anybody tried this approach directly?

No because the theory of specificity dictates otherwise.

You get better at running by running.

You get better at cycling by cycling.

You get better at swimming by swimming.

You got better at running and cycling in your last race from all the running and cycling you had done up to that point combined with being well rested.  That's really it.

2014-10-23 7:14 AM
in reply to: #5062318

I appreciate all the responses and theories. I understand that you improve at each sport by putting in the work in the specific sport.

However at this point I wiil continue to work on my own theory or logic/training program and see how it goes.

Mind you weight training is still done with 2x week of each sport with the longest session being an hour long (I only do sprint distance for now). Again thanks.

2014-10-23 10:01 AM

User image

There are enough PROS that incorporate a large amount of strength training into their regimes for me to find it worth while. Plus, I enjoy it. As I've started on this adventure, the first coach/trainer I've turned to is a STRENGTH trainer. I feel that I need to build the muscle to be able to sustain a long swim/bike/run. We've focused on the basics of how strength affects form. Lots of squats/lunges, RDLs and single leg stability. I to have seen run and bike times decrease as my ability to generate power has increased. I will continue to keep strength training a part of my weekly routine.
2014-10-23 10:19 AM
in reply to: S_Franklin99

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by S_Franklin99

There are enough PROS that incorporate a large amount of strength training into their regimes for me to find it worth while. Plus, I enjoy it. As I've started on this adventure, the first coach/trainer I've turned to is a STRENGTH trainer. I feel that I need to build the muscle to be able to sustain a long swim/bike/run. We've focused on the basics of how strength affects form. Lots of squats/lunges, RDLs and single leg stability. I to have seen run and bike times decrease as my ability to generate power has increased. I will continue to keep strength training a part of my weekly routine.

There's so much wrong here I just don't know what to say.

Enjoying strength training is an excellent reason to do it. Overall health is as well. Getting faster at triathlon is, sadly, not.

2014-10-23 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

I appreciate all the responses and theories. I understand that you improve at each sport by putting in the work in the specific sport.

However at this point I wiil continue to work on my own theory or logic/training program and see how it goes.

Mind you weight training is still done with 2x week of each sport with the longest session being an hour long (I only do sprint distance for now). Again thanks.

If you enjoy it and it helps keep you active, then that's a great reason to approach tri training in this manner. Since you've had some success with this approach, it is likely that you have significant room for improvement so any training is likely to be beneficial. Further, if you have been doing lots of easy workouts and little intensity, this may have led to improvement simple because it helped you become used to the discomfort that comes with higher intensity.

Having said that, while you may see some continued improvement, if your goal is to be as fast as you can at triathlon, this approach is almost surely going to be sub-optimal and focusing your available time on SBR would be the way to go.

Shane
2014-10-23 10:51 AM
in reply to: #5062329

One thing I find very interesting about this thread is the negative response towards weight training in tri training.

Hey I get it. You want to improve at SBR you should do SBR. However weight training will have its benefits as will yoga to overall fitness.

I would like to hear from someone who tried this approach and saw negative results.

Mind you I am not saying to do less sessions of SBR, maybe less yards/time and incorporate weights into the mix. Example 45 min bike ride followed by 15min work out of compound movements.
2014-10-23 10:52 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by FrankMilena One thing I find very interesting about this thread is the negative response towards weight training in tri training. Hey I get it. You want to improve at SBR you should do SBR. However weight training will have its benefits as will yoga to overall fitness. I would like to hear from someone who tried this approach and saw negative results. Mind you I am not saying to do less sessions of SBR, maybe less yards/time and incorporate weights into the mix. Example 45 min bike ride followed by 15min work out of compound movements.

Oh.....like crossfit.

2014-10-23 10:56 AM

User image

Champion

One thing I find very interesting about this thread is the negative response towards weight training in tri training.

Hey I get it. You want to improve at SBR you should do SBR. However weight training will have its benefits as will yoga to overall fitness.

I would like to hear from someone who tried this approach and saw negative results.

Mind you I am not saying to do less sessions of SBR, maybe less yards/time and incorporate weights into the mix. Example 45 min bike ride followed by 15min work out of compound movements.

Of course this would depend on your goals - this could be a great general fitness workout (or done in the other order depending on what you want to accomplish). However, if you're trying to be a faster triathlon cyclist, then probably better to ride (hard) for that extra 15 minutes.

Shane
2014-10-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: #5062401

Jajaja yeah ok crossfit. Love the feedback based on actually trying this approach.
2014-10-23 11:15 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Training with weights to some degree can help depending on your situation. I personally do some weight training, but it is not to get faster in triathlon per say. I do it to help with muscle imbalance, strengthen my core(blew out a disc5 years ago), and strengthen my shoulder(something to do with the need for speed on a ski slope). Will this make me faster? yes because I will actually be able to compete vs being injured.

What your talking about doing 45 minutes of riding(focus on the muscles that you need to ride) and then 15 mins of weights (focuses on what?) will not be as effective as just riding 60 mins.
2014-10-23 11:24 AM
in reply to: #5062409

15min of specific excercises geared to the sport. If you are riding for 45min , 15 min of squats, leg presses, squats for example.
2014-10-23 11:28 AM

User image

Originally posted by FrankMilenaHowever at this point I wiil continue to work on my own theory or logic/training program and see how it goes.
There really is nothing wrong with strength training if that's what you want to do. It's you're theory and logic that is a bit cloudy. You are basically picking one aspect of change that you experienced recently and deeming that as the sole cause of your improvements...and ignoring all the other changes that could have (or more likely) played a factor as well.In scientific experiments, you need to isolate the variables you are trying to test. That's what you're missing in this "experiment" you are trying.

2014-10-23 11:29 AM

User image

Champion

15min of specific excercises geared to the sport. If you are riding for 45min , 15 min of squats, leg presses, squats for example.

To what end?

Shane
2014-10-23 11:35 AM
in reply to: #5062418

Improved power, muscle endurance, correct muscular imbalances
2014-10-23 11:35 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by FrankMilena Improved power, muscle endurance, correct muscular imbalances

Which you think will make you faster, right?

2014-10-23 11:37 AM

User image

Exton, PA

If your high level rider stuck at a plateau I could see the merit in it. However think about this for a second. Are your squats going to focus on the same exact muscles and intensity rate as you pushing on your pedals? ---No Will the squats overload your muscles faster than pedaling on your bike?--yes

So if you don't have enough muscle to pedal your bike doing squats will be effective until you have the muscle to turn the pedals over- however it generally takes less strength to turn you pedals over than it does to do a body weight squat. Then the most effective way to strengthen the muscles for cycling is to ride your bike more.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More Weight Training = Better Results? Rss Feed  

of 4