No, I wouldn't know what to do
This is a multiple choice poll.

2014-10-24 9:57 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Stopping to help

As many have said - it depends.  

I look at it from the other perspective.  If I had a mechanical issue, I would never want someone to lose time in their race to offer me assistance (my race = my problem).  If I was in need of emergent medical attention, I would hope that someone would at least point it out to a spectator with a phone or a race official/volunteer.  

2014-10-24 10:43 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by cwpeters During a race would you stop to lend aid to another athlete?

If I was able to, and there was no one else around better equipped to do so, then yes.  I have stopped in the past to help a runner during an HIM who took a pretty gnarly digger.  I'll always ask a cyclist (training or racing), if I see them on the side of the road, if they got everything they need.

2014-10-24 1:03 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by wannabefaster See my race report from Eagleman 2012........ I'm not stopping to help you with your mechanical problem and I don't expect you to stop and help me with mine. Dealing with mechanical issues is part of racing. If you are hurt/injured on the side of the road, I couldn't live with myself if I put my race ahead of another person's well-being. However, if there are a bunch of people already there helping, I'm probably not going to stop and add to the melee.

x2

I stopped last year on the bike segment to help another woman who was having difficulties due to a knee issue or something.  She was in great pain and needed some assistance to alert race volunteers about 100 yards away.  Missed an AG win by 15 seconds but I would do it again.

2014-10-24 1:10 PM
in reply to: 0

For medical situation, definitively. Life threatening or not. That would however be at extent of my capabilities. I would not risk drowning to help a panicking person now would I risk moving a person with a head or back trauma. I would however make everything possible to make sure the situation does not worsen and the person receives attention as soon as possible. I would also help for lesser issues.

For mechanical issues, I am pretty limited both in experience and equipment. I would definitively not help a person who looks like he can manage it better than I can...

While we are at it, are the rules different for Ironman or in the US then they are for sprints/olympics in Canada/Quebec? One rule I keep hearing is how you must be autonomous and can be disqualified if you accept help from another? I imagine rules are applied less strictly for less competitive people like me who have little potential to achieve podium...

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-10-24 1:25 PM
2014-10-24 2:40 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It depends on the situation. Medical, yes. Mechanical, probably not, but again, it depends. I do know that most people that passed me when I was bleeding on the side of the road after a wreck in a race at least asked if I needed help. I'd like to think that most of us would do the same.

2014-10-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I feel like it would be unlikely that I would even notice someone in distress during the swim - you just can't see anything other than what's immediately around you, and with all that splashing I'm kind focused on doing my own thing. The good news is there's always lots of people in kayaks keeping an eye on things (in my experience) so I feel like someone in distress would be taken care of quickest in the water anyways.

On the bike I wouldn't stop to help someone with a mechanical. If they were hurt, yes I would, though if there were volunteers/marshalls nearby I'd probably leave it to them. Same thing on the run.

2014-10-24 4:11 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by Antoine triWhile we are at it, are the rules different for Ironman or in the US then they are for sprints/olympics in Canada/Quebec? One rule I keep hearing is how you must be autonomous and can be disqualified if you accept help from another? I imagine rules are applied less strictly for less competitive people like me who have little potential to achieve podium...

Generally you can accept help from a fellow competitor or from neutral race support.  You can't have your own support crew helping you out.

Strictness varies.  As does the pettiness of the issue.  At one race a little kid was handing out cold water bottles to people, and I heard someone telling the boy's mother how it wasn't allowed.  Oh please.

2014-10-24 4:31 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by Antoine triWhile we are at it, are the rules different for Ironman or in the US then they are for sprints/olympics in Canada/Quebec? One rule I keep hearing is how you must be autonomous and can be disqualified if you accept help from another? I imagine rules are applied less strictly for less competitive people like me who have little potential to achieve podium...

Generally you can accept help from a fellow competitor or from neutral race support.  You can't have your own support crew helping you out.

Strictness varies.  As does the pettiness of the issue.  At one race a little kid was handing out cold water bottles to people, and I heard someone telling the boy's mother how it wasn't allowed.  Oh please.

Straight from the head ref's mouth:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/02/training/ask-a-triathlon-re...

I think any assistance you provide that actually moves a competitor forward - like hanging on a kayak and being dragged forward, or letting a competitor help you up and support you as you walk forward on the run is unauthorized assistance and should be a DQ. Otherwise, I agree with most of the other commenters. For a medical/health issue, I'm gonna stop to help unless it looks like adequate help is already there. In that case I would notify the next race official I see of the problem. For mechanical issues, if I can toss a tube or a CO2 on the way by, I'll do it. However, I firmly believe that competitors should be experienced enough to take care of their own mechanical problems and carry appropriate tools/spares.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stopping to help Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

help me stop launching bottles

Started by clemson05
Views: 1162 Posts: 9

2012-05-15 9:10 AM clemson05

HELP HELP HELP!

Started by sundiego
Views: 1285 Posts: 5

2011-02-18 12:49 PM GLC1968

Help me swim a km without stopping

Started by Tomboy
Views: 1707 Posts: 12

2009-12-20 12:41 PM Tomboy

Do you stop at stop signs? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jashac
Views: 4792 Posts: 63

2009-07-01 10:16 PM tribullbutter

Sorry I didn't stop to help!

Started by liz1822
Views: 676 Posts: 2

2004-07-29 10:20 AM econway
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day

date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.