No, I've trained too much to stop
No, I wouldn't know what to do
This is a multiple choice poll.

2014-10-22 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Stopping to help
During a race would you stop to lend aid to another athlete?

2014-10-22 1:36 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Stopping to help

If there was no one who was not racing available to help, absolutely.....and if asked to help, even if I was racing and there was other help, yes. 

2014-10-22 1:54 PM

User image

Kind of a vague question.

Would I stop to help if someone had a flat tire...no.

Would I stop to help if someone just went over the guard rail, and into a ditch...and I was the only one that saw them...no doubt.

Then there is sort of...it depends...in between those two scenarios.

2014-10-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

If I thought someone needed urgent help, I would stop. For example, if someone fell. I have never had to stop, but I have paused to ask someone who was cramping up if she was OK.
2014-10-22 2:09 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jason N

Would I stop to help if someone just went over the guard rail, and into a ditch...and I was the only one that saw them...no doubt.

x2, depends on the severity of the situation.

For people stopped with flats (and when I used to race 650 tires) I'd yell "do you need a 650 tube" as sag wagons don't always have those.

2014-10-22 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

It's good karma to help if you're in a position to do so.

Once during an Ironman Arizona race I gave away a tube to a guy who was saying his spare tube's stem broke.  I had three spares with me (paranoia, having flatted the day before while riding just 20 miles on the course) so it was no risk to me at all.

Another time during Lake Stevens 70.3 I gave away my multi-tool to someone who had a derailleur problem and no tools.  I was on the last lap with 20 miles to go, and figured chances were high I wouldn't need that tool even though it was the only one I had. I finished the bike without incident.

2014-10-22 2:16 PM

User image

, Illinois
As I run through scenarios I think I would have to say no, I wouldn't help. What could happen during the swim? Lots of things, but there are usually many volunteers in the water that are more qualified and prepared to help than me. My opinion is to let them do their job and stay out of the way. Too many times people that try to help just simply get in the way (not specific to races). On the bike other than helping to make someone else aware of an emergency I again don't know what I could do to help. I'm not a doctor and wouldn't know what to do in a medical emergency, again I would defer to those who know what they are doing. As for a mechanical problems, I consider that part of racing. It's your responsibility to maintain your equipment and also keep an eye out for rocks, glass, potholes, etc. On the run it again falls into the medical emergency category. I'm not qualified and would defer to medical staff. I guess if your definition of "help" encompasses making someone aware of an emergency then yes I would absolutely help every time all the time. If "help" means actually performing the action to attempt to fix the problem, then no.
2014-10-22 2:41 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by lisac957

x2, depends on the severity of the situation.

What she said.

2014-10-22 3:00 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
See my race report from Eagleman 2012........

I'm not stopping to help you with your mechanical problem and I don't expect you to stop and help me with mine. Dealing with mechanical issues is part of racing.

If you are hurt/injured on the side of the road, I couldn't live with myself if I put my race ahead of another person's well-being. However, if there are a bunch of people already there helping, I'm probably not going to stop and add to the melee.
2014-10-22 3:07 PM

User image

Exton, PA
depends:

On the swim: If someone is actually in trouble then yes- many people(including lifeguards) do not know what this looks like, and I have delt with drowning's(near drowning's) multiple times.

On the Bike: crash- yes flat or equipment failure- probably not unless my race was already blown for some reason

On the run: Only in a life threatening situation- such as heart attack, heat stroke,....
2014-10-22 3:10 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I'm not stopping to help you with your mechanical problem and I don't expect you to stop and help me with mine. Dealing with mechanical issues is part of racing.

If you are hurt/injured on the side of the road, I couldn't live with myself if I put my race ahead of another person's well-being. However, if there are a bunch of people already there helping, I'm probably not going to stop and add to the melee.

This exactly! I stopped in my first Oly tri to help a guy that went down on a descent right in front of me. I got his bike out of the road so it didn't wreck anyone else and made sure he was ok to sit and wait on his own, then I rode to the next volunteer (at record pace for me!) and informed them that there was a man hurt a couple miles back at the bottom of the hill.

In my HIM a couple weeks ago I rode past many dropped chains and flats, I only carry what I need and they should do the same.

2014-10-22 3:42 PM

User image

From one of my race reports.

About 1/2 way through the first lap there was a guy on the side of the road. I always ask, "Are YOU okay?" because everyone can get a bike up and running but if a person's hurt I want to make sure someone knows at the next water point.

Anyway, the guy was asking for CO2. Seems he either used his (my guess) or forgot to pack it. As I was passing him I realized no one was even making any moves to toss a CO2. Since I carry two CO2 cartridges, I turned around. I gave him my spare and he looked at it strangely. I asked him if he needed threaded and he held up an X-Lab Nanoflator. Well hell. I went across the street to his bike and handed him my inflator. He asked how to use it. Oh well, it's easier and faster to do than show. I inflated his wheel, gave him the used cartridge and put everything back together and went along my way.
2014-10-22 3:57 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by DanielG From one of my race reports. About 1/2 way through the first lap there was a guy on the side of the road. I always ask, "Are YOU okay?" because everyone can get a bike up and running but if a person's hurt I want to make sure someone knows at the next water point. Anyway, the guy was asking for CO2. Seems he either used his (my guess) or forgot to pack it. As I was passing him I realized no one was even making any moves to toss a CO2. Since I carry two CO2 cartridges, I turned around. I gave him my spare and he looked at it strangely. I asked him if he needed threaded and he held up an X-Lab Nanoflator. Well hell. I went across the street to his bike and handed him my inflator. He asked how to use it. Oh well, it's easier and faster to do than show. I inflated his wheel, gave him the used cartridge and put everything back together and went along my way.

Yeah, inflating his wheel with your inflator is over and above the call of good sportsmanship.  If I handed someone a CO2 cartridge and they couldn't use it do to equipment mismatch, well that's when the "sorry, dude, I tried but I can't help you" attitude comes out.

As others have said, medical emergency I wouldn't add to the noise.  I can't help other than to get someone who can.  Mechanical failures, well helping a little as I've done before is just good sportsmanship in my book. 

Dropped chain?  Well that's too trivial to bother.

Flat tire, and you don't know how to fix one?  Well too bad so sad that's a learning experience for you.  Don't race without knowing how to fix a flat, or be prepared to DNF.

2014-10-22 4:32 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I volunteered at IM Arizona in 2008 and worked the bike corral and witnessed something that convinced me there is something special about our sport.

I guess this is extremely common and almost mythical. There are ~2,500 bikes in the corral, almost all of them had their tires filled with air just before the race started. As the air warms up, more than a few of those bikes experience tube failures. If I could guess, I would say over 100 that day.

The volunteers in the corral already know this and they walk through the corral and replace the tubes. Some of the individuals who were really good replaced 3 or 4 tubes in a 10 minute period of time.

When the racers got out of the water, we handed them there bike and they never knew the difference....... :D

Anything we do to make someone's race a little easier, is certainly well within the spirit of our sport.

Would I help a competitor?

Really the question is, would I want to beat someone because he had some sort of issue and I decided NOT to help him. I always carry enough spares to be able to throw one down in a hurry if it would help someone. IF it is medical, I would surely delay my race to render assistance if no one else was around.

But that is just me

2014-10-23 2:32 PM
in reply to: WaterDog66

User image

Champion
MA

I always ask if they need help especially in an IM race. If they do, normally I am not in position to help. I recall situations like broken chain, broken seat post, stuff like that my goal is to let others know someone needs the mechanic. When someone is changing a flat I will ask, if they need something I'd give it to them but no one has ever needed anything. I always wish them good luck as well.

On the run in an IM, it is likely a mental thing or struggle. Just talking to them and encouraging them can be a big boost to someone. The aid stations are close enough that normally they can get them.

I have ridden by crashes with other athletes stopped to help waiting on nonracer official help. Me stopping then wouldn't help as I have no medical training and would be in the way. If it seemed like it just happened or I was first, absolutely I would stop and try to get a more medical person to help but I would do what I could in the meantime.

Socks here on BT tried in on IM swim to get someone's shoulder back in socket after she dislocated it, but she is an ortho so knows all about that.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone in a race stuck on the side of the road needing help that hadn't been helped by others or waiting for the support staff to come.

2014-10-23 2:56 PM

During the race I don't stop for mechanical issues, medical different story only if I can help. However after I DNF'd a race due to a mechanical I could not fix, I spent the ride in the bus o' shame stipping pieces and parts off of my bike so that others could finish. (heck I was done with it at that point in the day)

2014-10-23 4:40 PM

User image

Pro

what was said above... it depends.

like... if they were in my age group or not.    

2014-10-23 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
I asked because I'm one of those, stop no matter what, guys. I've given other athletes tubes, CO2, even band-aids & Chamois Butter, but on my last race I witnessed an accident that resulted in a lady going over the handlebars and hitting her head hard enough knock her out and split her helmet. As an Athletic Trainer, I have an ethical duty to stop for medical emergencies, I was curious what others would do. No judging or blaming, just curious. Thank you to everyone that's shared their thoughts on this.
2014-10-23 7:50 PM
in reply to: #5062158

User image

Regular
Yes, no doubt.
2014-10-23 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I always ask if they are okay but generally keep going.

On a charity ride I did stop and helped someone change a tube. He couldnt figure out how to get the tube out while the wheel was still mounted on the bike. At this point in my tire changing "career" I can change out a tube in about 5min but I took my time and showed him how to do it. In his defense he did at least try and he did have everything he needed... Just not the know-how.
2014-10-23 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Sums up my answer.

2014-10-23 10:10 PM
in reply to: #5062570

naperville, Illinois
it depends on the race. i have stopped during an olympic to help someone that dropped a chain, had her bike turned upside down, and clearly had no idea what to do next. yes, i stopped because why not - i wasn't going to win money and she looked pretty new to racing. I have also stopped to help someone during a HIM who had a flat and without a tube. i gave him a tube and my bike wrench. i didn't have any extra canisters to give him but someone else stopped and help him with that. on the run I saw him again, he was so thankful and was carrying the bike tool to give back in case he saw me again. i don't remember my finish time in other race, but I remember helping someone out. i tend not to help people who look like they are hard core.
2014-10-24 5:47 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Certainly if the person was seriously injured or in danger. 

As a BOPer I'm probably in a position to encounter more situations than the guys out front.

I stopped to help a guy during a swim a couple of years ago and ended up dropping out of the race since I lost so much time.  My only DNF so far, but no regrets.

I've stopped a couple times on the bike to check to see if folks were OK after crashes, then continued on when they said they were fine. 

Also stopped once to help a newbie put their dropped chain back on.  Only took a few seconds.

Mark

2014-10-24 9:20 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

helped a few people out during CHOO last month when they hit the part of the road that had been spread with tacks - gave a CO2 canister to someone who was having issues - his wasn't seeding right - i knew I was good on time and wasn't like I was going to win or anything, so it was a karma move for me
2014-10-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Life threatening only
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stopping to help Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

help me stop launching bottles

Started by clemson05
Views: 1163 Posts: 9

2012-05-15 9:10 AM clemson05

HELP HELP HELP!

Started by sundiego
Views: 1287 Posts: 5

2011-02-18 12:49 PM GLC1968

Help me swim a km without stopping

Started by Tomboy
Views: 1709 Posts: 12

2009-12-20 12:41 PM Tomboy

Do you stop at stop signs? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jashac
Views: 4803 Posts: 63

2009-07-01 10:16 PM tribullbutter

Sorry I didn't stop to help!

Started by liz1822
Views: 676 Posts: 2

2004-07-29 10:20 AM econway
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day

date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.