Overall Rank = 348/5525
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/237
Pre-race routine:

Exactly 2 weeks out - last long run of 35km
10 days out last 10km workout day
1 week out 5 x 1km all at pace
race week was 8km, 6km, 4km, 2km on Friday before
started carb loading on Thursday, cut out most veggies and fruit except bananas, sweet potato etc.
Night before dinner was momma mountains pancakes with syrup. I took at toaster to the hotel so I could warm them up!

Event warmup:

Morning of race woke up at 4:30am (well actually Hudson woke around midnight to nurse, and then again at 2am. When he woke at 2am he didn't want to go back to sleep. Finally after trying to get him back down for an hour I realized I only had 1 hour left to get any sleep. I asked Jon to take Hudson out of the room so could sleep. So at 3am Jon took Hudson to the hotel lobby and I got one more hour of sleep. Probably the worst night before a race sleep you can imagine but I have learned to thrive on sleep deprivation so I wasn't going to let it get in my way on race day).

Ok so at 4:30 I woke and ate two slices of toast with PB&j.

Left hotel at 6:15 for a 7am start. The start was 2km away. I jogged 3/4 of the way there. Then I just found my spot int he corral and waited there. No major warm up at all.
Run
  • 3h 10m
  • 42.2 kms
  • 04m 30s  min/km
Comments:

Gosh what to say. Well a few things first. After talking to Hugh a few nights prior I had a few new strategies which I used and were very effective. First I wore a white visor and sunglasses. It was overcast, but I didn't under estimate the heat or the suns eventual appearance. At each aid station I took in water and even poured a cup or two over my head. I am convinced this was key in keeping my strong.

The race started and it took me a few km's to get into it. I took my first gel early around 4km because my stomach felt empty. I finally found my rhythm. I took my 2nd gel at 12km and then basically one every 6 kms (2 aid stations) from then on out. I ran the first half very smart. I honestly felt I had more in me but I knew it was a long race and just wanted to stick to the game place of 4:30's. I had my garmin lapping every 4km;s, I loved this. It was just a long enough interval to get a real reading of my pacing without the erratic changes when you lap every 1km. I saw Jon and Hudson and Bob and Lynn at 21km, I knew I would see them again at 25km. I was excited so those 4km in between flew by! Then before I knew it I was at 28km, which is 2/3 through the race. I still nailing my splits so I felt great. I started to notice runners around me slowing down, and one by one I passed them, many of them. I was probably in 40th place for women, and I just kept looking for the next female to pass. I passed 8 women in the final 10km.

At 34km the sun emerged and it was hot, I was feeling tired and mentally wanted to slow down. I allowed myself to slow somewhat (4:39 per km from 35-40). At 40km there was a timing sign and it was 3:00:17... after seeing that I knew if I ran hard for the final 2.2km I could probably be under 3:10. So I ran hard. In the last 400m I saw 2 women running side by side and I decided to pass them. I picked it up and ran past but one of them decided to race me. We sprinted the final 100m and I won! It was because of this race that I ended up with 3:10:00 for my time!
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. Just enjoyed the event and the post race high!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Although I don't feel my performance was hindered from this, I only had about 4 hours of broken sleep as Hudson (10 months) had a very bad night. Also the weather was warm, but I managed this very well with lots of water intake and dumping water over my head at each station. The race started at 18 degrees but was around 25 by the end.

Last updated: 2014-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
03:10:00 | 42.2 kms | 04m 30s  min/km
Age Group: 0/237
Overall: 0/5525
Performance: Good
Course: flat, great views, great crowds. Loved it!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-23 8:10 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Ottawa Marathon

2014-10-24 9:06 AM
in reply to: #5062347

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ottawa Marathon

Whoa speedy time! Congrats on an awesome finish! I sure hope you got a little nap later at least after all that

2014-10-24 9:17 AM
in reply to: #5062347

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Ottawa Marathon

Smokin' time!  Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ottawa Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ING Ottawa Marathon

Started by msdesigner1
Views: 1135 Posts: 2

2007-05-30 7:35 AM cathyd

ING Ottawa Marathon

Started by zippyz130
Views: 772 Posts: 1

2007-05-28 5:38 PM zippyz130

Ottawa Marathon

Started by 2PPCLI PMED
Views: 690 Posts: 1

2007-03-04 6:12 PM 2PPCLI PMED

Ottawa Marathon

Started by TriGuyOttawa
Views: 1068 Posts: 2

2006-06-01 4:55 PM TimmyMay

ING Ottawa Marathon

Started by Wookiee
Views: 1259 Posts: 12

2005-05-30 1:24 PM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!