General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-09-17 6:30 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread

Originally posted by d00d
Originally posted by rwekin I've heard some rumblings about an algae issue at the boat dock area. Any locals have any intel on this? Just wondering if it is of any concern for race day.
I'm not sure on how this algae reacts to cooler weather, but I'm guessing it'll die down a bit as the weather cools...and cool it will. It was 51 this morning in NC. Brrr.

I'm not worried about the algae.  From what I've read it will be gone because of the cooler temps.

2015-09-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by rwekin I've heard some rumblings about an algae issue at the boat dock area. Any locals have any intel on this? Just wondering if it is of any concern for race day.
I'm not sure on how this algae reacts to cooler weather, but I'm guessing it'll die down a bit as the weather cools...and cool it will. It was 51 this morning in NC. Brrr.

I'm not worried about the algae.  From what I've read it will be gone because of the cooler temps.

it would be cool to emerge from the river glowing blue-green and moaning, a la swamp thing.

btw, i almost got hit by a car this morning, so just wanted to extend a "cycle safely" announcement. i think the guy was on his cell phone, but can't be sure b/c it was dark. anyways, be careful out there, especially as we are about to enter taper!
2015-09-18 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by DirkP

it would be cool to emerge from the river glowing blue-green and moaning, a la swamp thing. btw, i almost got hit by a car this morning, so just wanted to extend a "cycle safely" announcement. i think the guy was on his cell phone, but can't be sure b/c it was dark. anyways, be careful out there, especially as we are about to enter taper!

I hear you!!  I'm pretty nervous about the ride tomorrow morning.  I am only going to ride the finger once and the loop 3 times to get the 112 miles in and stay away from the main traffic.  I definitely won't be riding in the dark!.

2015-09-21 3:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Do all IM Facebook groups devolve or is IM Louisville 2015 just special? Sorry to see you go Lisac.

Edited by rsmoylan 2015-09-21 3:20 PM
2015-09-21 5:15 PM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by rsmoylan Do all IM Facebook groups devolve or is IM Louisville 2015 just special? Sorry to see you go Lisac.

Haha oh my goodness people are going crazy over there! Definitely hit the tipping point for me today. Even though i have "unfollowed" the group and turned off notifications I'm still getting it in my feed. Maybe it takes Facebook awhile to get it through it's system. I about lost it when like 10 days ago someone posted the race day weather forecast. 

I'm also in Redman's group from year's past. Their race is this weekend, and it's NOTHING like the IMLOU group. Maybe it's a numbers game, not as many people doing Redman. 

2015-09-21 9:38 PM
in reply to: #5062637

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Ha, I've been sitting back and watching the IMLOU Facebook all summer and have been amazed at the ridiculousness on that page! I'm just keeping me to myself and getting ready for whatever Oct 11th brings!

2015-09-22 4:16 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by rsmoylan Do all IM Facebook groups devolve or is IM Louisville 2015 just special? Sorry to see you go Lisac.

I haven't paid much attention to all of the algae, weather, etc. panic posts.  It really doesn't bother me.  There are so many people that are new to the sport and have no idea what's going on that I'm willing to let others reply and scroll by without stopping.  I'm sure there are those that try to stir things up but what I saw yesterday was frustration on the part of the organizers.  

I was a part of the IMWI page last year (still following that page) and it wasn't that bad, this year is much the same.  A few people that panic but it seems to be more contained than Lou's page.

2015-09-22 7:11 AM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

Elite
Originally posted by lanzodt

Ha, I've been sitting back and watching the IMLOU Facebook all summer and have been amazed at the ridiculousness on that page! I'm just keeping me to myself and getting ready for whatever Oct 11th brings!

I've done the same. It's crazy how worked up some ppl can get over the simplest things.

By the way, anyone have a weather projection yet?
2015-09-22 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

By the way, anyone have a weather projection yet?

Prediction?....Prediction?!......P A I N.....
2015-09-22 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
I've followed a few 70.3 and 140.6 groups on FB, none have been anywhere near as active as that Louisville one. Not sure why.

I've got my own problem now. A seat clamp bolt broke on my Trek SC, and it's stuck inside the frame. It's at the LBS now, but they seemed pessimistic about being able to get it out, probably scared to use a dremel in such a tight space, with a carbon frame. They suggested sending it back to Trek, but I'd then be without a bike for the race. They'll see what they can do today, but I really didn't need this added stress.
2015-09-22 11:29 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Originally posted by mbwallis

I've followed a few 70.3 and 140.6 groups on FB, none have been anywhere near as active as that Louisville one. Not sure why.

I've got my own problem now. A seat clamp bolt broke on my Trek SC, and it's stuck inside the frame. It's at the LBS now, but they seemed pessimistic about being able to get it out, probably scared to use a dremel in such a tight space, with a carbon frame. They suggested sending it back to Trek, but I'd then be without a bike for the race. They'll see what they can do today, but I really didn't need this added stress.

Man that is tough. Sorry about that. Hope that goes well and they are able to figure something out. You would think long pliers and some kind of shim would do the trick, but.....Not ideal, but do you have a road bike fit to you well?

2015-09-22 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by rsmoylan

Man that is tough. Sorry about that. Hope that goes well and they are able to figure something out. You would think long pliers and some kind of shim would do the trick, but.....Not ideal, but do you have a road bike fit to you well?

x2, that sucks. does it need to come out? can't they just drill out the broken bolt, add a new one, and just leave the other inside the frame?
2015-09-22 2:46 PM

User image

Regular
I sold my road bike a couple of years ago to fund my triathlon purchases. I have an old Argon18 frame, but it's a 10sp and I'd have to get a 10sp cassette, convert wheels and probably get some cabling work done. It's also a significantly different geometry than the SC.

I am hoping they can drill it out, but I believe they're scared of damaging the carbon frame, hence they want Trek to deal with it. To make things worse, the bolt broke at an angle, so it's not a flat perpendicular drilling surface. But the broken bolt must come out, as I can't get another one in there now, and thus can't secure my seat post.

Some folks at ST recommended I take it to a machine shop, suggesting it would be very trivial work for any competent machinist. So that's an option, although I'd have to assume full risk of any frame damage.
2015-09-23 9:30 AM

User image

Elite
Do any of you ride with a power meter? What % of FTP (IF) do you plan to ride at? What's your targeted TSS? How about VI?

I've been doing my long rides at an IF of high 70s and low 80s, but plan to back that down to 72-75 for the race. I'm targeting a TSS of 270-280, which should allow for a decent run. Depending on how I approach the climbs, those numbers may fluctuate a little, but should be close.

I'd just like to state that no one should attempt to follow what I've written above, unless you've trained that way. Beginners should targetr an IF of mid to high 60s, or even less.

I'm just curious as to how those of you that have trained with power will ride at IMKY. Come on, give away your strategies/secrets! :P
2015-09-23 9:34 AM

User image

Regular
Crisis averted, just as they were about to box my bike up and ship it back to Trek. The guy at my LBS pulled out his MacGyver bag of tricks and finally managed to get the broken bolt out. So one less thing to stress about.
2015-09-23 9:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular

Do any of you ride with a power meter? What % of FTP (IF) do you plan to ride at? What's your targeted TSS? How about VI?

I've been doing my long rides at an IF of high 70s and low 80s, but plan to back that down to 72-75 for the race. I'm targeting a TSS of 270-280, which should allow for a decent run. Depending on how I approach the climbs, those numbers may fluctuate a little, but should be close.

I'd just like to state that no one should attempt to follow what I've written above, unless you've trained that way. Beginners should targetr an IF of mid to high 60s, or even less.

I'm just curious as to how those of you that have trained with power will ride at IMKY. Come on, give away your strategies/secrets! :P

I generally target 72-73%, but have not been riding well the past 5-6 weeks, and so I might pull that back to 70%. I'll probably decide based on how I feel during the ride. It also depends somewhat on the temperature, although I'm expecting it to be fairly cool for the bike.

At IMFL last year, I rode 72% (TSS = 272) and had a decent run (3:40). My run training has been much better this year.

Edited by mbwallis 2015-09-23 9:45 AM

2015-09-23 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

This is my first attempt at this distance so I'm planning to start conservatively. I will start to ride at 70% FTP and allow that to rise a small bit on the punchy hills. I have run well off the bike in training at 75% for 5 hours. So nothing earth shattering from me. 70-75% FTP.

2015-09-23 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

Crisis averted, just as they were about to box my bike up and ship it back to Trek. The guy at my LBS pulled out his MacGyver bag of tricks and finally managed to get the broken bolt out. So one less thing to stress about.

A collective sigh of relief for you, brother. Congratulations.
2015-09-23 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Sorry if this has been covered already. I am curious about people's hydration and calorie set up. Here's mine.

Bottle gatorade between the aero bars.
1 bottle gatorade behind my seat.
Bento box will have cliff blocks
Gu in my tri suit pockets.
2015-09-23 2:01 PM

User image

Elite

Sorry if this has been covered already. I am curious about people's hydration and calorie set up. Here's mine.

I have:
Torhans Aero 30 between aerobars for water and electrolytes
Torhans VR on the downtube with concentrated nutrition (5 hour UCAN w/ protein)
Bento box with electrolytes and emergency nutrition
(Small) Flat kit behind the seat
2015-09-23 2:40 PM

User image

Regular

Water in a BTA bottle (XLAB Torpedo), refilled from aid stations as necessary.
Concentrated Infinit in an aero bottle (XLAB Aero TT) on the down tube, with ~750 calories
A 2nd such aero bottle in bike SN, with another ~750 calories
I'll have a single cage BTS but will only use it to hold water bottles if necessary

This is the first year I'm using SN and hope it's fast. I am just choosing to simplify (and lighten!) my setup and not carry around as many bottles as in years past.

I target 275 calories per hour on the bike.

2015-09-24 10:12 AM
in reply to: #5062637

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Just curious if any one else does a full wardrobe change at transitions. I've been dragging my feet at buying a tri suit and at this point don't really thinks it's necessary. I have a wetsuit for the swim, bike shorts and jersey for the bike and running shorts and a shirt for the run. I did the full bike distance so I know I'm comfortable in the shorts and fairly certain my run gear will be fine too. Recommendations? Is there a place to change at transitions?
2015-09-24 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Originally posted by lanzodt

Just curious if any one else does a full wardrobe change at transitions. I've been dragging my feet at buying a tri suit and at this point don't really thinks it's necessary. I have a wetsuit for the swim, bike shorts and jersey for the bike and running shorts and a shirt for the run. I did the full bike distance so I know I'm comfortable in the shorts and fairly certain my run gear will be fine too. Recommendations? Is there a place to change at transitions?

More experienced folks can chime in, but I believe there are changing tents, so you should be good to go with full wardrobe change.

I will have my trisuit on under the wetsuit and wear that all day long. I may put running shorts and singlet in my running bag just in case I want to change, but more than likely trisuit all day for me.
2015-09-24 10:44 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by lanzodt Just curious if any one else does a full wardrobe change at transitions. I've been dragging my feet at buying a tri suit and at this point don't really thinks it's necessary. I have a wetsuit for the swim, bike shorts and jersey for the bike and running shorts and a shirt for the run. I did the full bike distance so I know I'm comfortable in the shorts and fairly certain my run gear will be fine too. Recommendations? Is there a place to change at transitions?

Yes, when you enter the transition area you will run by all of the T1 and T2 bags set up in numerical order. Find your bag and continue on into the changing tent - there will be signage for male vs. female tents. After you're done in there and stuff everything back into your bag, leave it with a volunteer. Then you're off. 

Personally I will swim with my tri shorts and tri top under my wetsuit (or maybe bra top and put on a bike jersey in T1, haven't decided yet). I'll do the full change in T2. 

If you haven't seen it, the Athlete Guide may help answer any more logistical questions you might have.

2015-09-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Here's what the area looks like with all of the transition bags (T1 is red on the left, T2 is blue on the right) - you can see the tents off to the right of the photo. This was taken race morning, you will have access to your bags then, to do anything last minute.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56349 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 105024 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 228123 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 164916 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173269 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.

date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: