General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-12-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread
Originally posted by jarvy01

Things are crazy busy with the kids' holiday stuff. Lots of performances, parties, activities, etc. It's truly sucking away all my energy (as it should), so I'm left with little motivation to hit the training. I'm doing something every day....just not always the greatest performance.

How's everyone else doing with training during this crazy holiday month?

Training is OK...Had a cold and have taken all my training indoors until it's 100% gone. I don't mind so much, though. I'm ITCHING to start riding again, though! TrainerRoad and Sufferfest are my workout of choice during the winter, but marathon training has prevented me from any real cycling training.

Originally posted by jarvy01

Do you all have coaches? Or are you self-coached?

Just curious.

I worked with a coach the last 3 years. Once we budgeted out our money for 2015 including home improvements, family vacation, etc., it no longer made sense for me to spend such a large chunk on coaching. So, I'm going at it alone this year. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do training wise after having that structure for 3 years.

No coach. Everyone suggests hiring one, I just cannot justify that kind of an expense. That being said, I've bought a few books about training, learned all I could from other sources, and have had generally good success training myself. I know what works (for me).

I do go to Masters swim sessions, though. B/c my swim is just average, I highly value advice, experiences, and expertise from that discipline.

2014-12-09 12:41 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I was coached in 2011 for IMLOU - but since my abilities and goals haven't changed, I have just used that training plan and workouts as a basis going forward. I used the plan, tweaked a bit, for Vineman in 2013 and plan to do the same for LOU in 2015. 

I've done Master's swim before but I've found that no matter what effort I put into pool time (Master's, 3 self-guided swims/week or less than 1 swim/week), my IM swim times have all been within 1 minute of each other. This time around I'm going to shoot for 2 self-guided swims per week, with the option to drop down to 1. Mentally I would love to cut 5 minutes off my IM swim time, but the enormous efforts that will seemingly take seems not quite worthy of 5 measly minutes in a 15-hour day. 

2014-12-09 2:45 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
I am about to sign up along with one of my friends. We originally where going to madison but that sold out and lousiville looks to be an amazing event.

2014-12-10 5:20 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Miami
Taking care of my knee here, so only swimming 3-4 times/week and biking 2-3 times/week, aka maintenance mode. I can't run for 6-8 weeks and I can't abuse my knee with too much biking. It is killing me!! But I guess I rather rest and take care of my body now rather than suffer through the season.

I am self coached too, but I was thinking about hiring one. I completed multiple HIMs and 2 IMs and my times have been improving; however, I think I may be missing something (ie: I don't do strength training because I have no idea how and when should I do it) and maybe a coach will help me put everything together... For those of you that were self-coached and the hired a coach, how did he/she help you? Is it worth the $$?

I did join a Master's Swim Program though. It is by far my weakest sport and I hope this will help me (4 x week 3,500-4,500 yards per session). The coach is awesome and the rest of the people are really fast, so that pushes me quite a bit.
2014-12-11 9:27 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by davidfedez

For those of you that were self-coached and the hired a coach, how did he/she help you? Is it worth the $$?  

My cost was around $250/month but he's bumped it to $250 first month and $200/month after. Here's his site if you want to compare anything.

• We had an initial sit-down meeting to talk abilities, goals, obstacles, etc. 
  • I received a completely customized plan - in 4 week blocks
  • Pro Training Peaks account
  • Feedback and tweaks as necessary

I dunno. The customized plan was what I was really looking for and I got that - not sure it was worth what I paid overall, but the accountability and knowing he was looking at my logs and making comments/tweaks was also very valuable to me. Since my swim was not an area we identified as a weakness, he mainly focused on bike and run workouts for me. I think with most of his clients he does more nutrition work but I had that nailed down already. He did work with me a lot on run hydration and I found out I have a super high sweat rate so that was interesting. 

I did feel like he focused a lot more on his "elite" athletes. I am a much slower athlete than probably all of his clients and didn't have crazy genetic abilities or Kona aspirations or anything like that. So while I don't have any major complaints, the experience didn't blow me away enough to sign up again.

2014-12-12 9:49 AM

User image

Miami
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by davidfedez

For those of you that were self-coached and the hired a coach, how did he/she help you? Is it worth the $$?  

My cost was around $250/month but he's bumped it to $250 first month and $200/month after. Here's his site if you want to compare anything.

• We had an initial sit-down meeting to talk abilities, goals, obstacles, etc. 
  • I received a completely customized plan - in 4 week blocks
  • Pro Training Peaks account
  • Feedback and tweaks as necessary

I dunno. The customized plan was what I was really looking for and I got that - not sure it was worth what I paid overall, but the accountability and knowing he was looking at my logs and making comments/tweaks was also very valuable to me. Since my swim was not an area we identified as a weakness, he mainly focused on bike and run workouts for me. I think with most of his clients he does more nutrition work but I had that nailed down already. He did work with me a lot on run hydration and I found out I have a super high sweat rate so that was interesting. 

I did feel like he focused a lot more on his "elite" athletes. I am a much slower athlete than probably all of his clients and didn't have crazy genetic abilities or Kona aspirations or anything like that. So while I don't have any major complaints, the experience didn't blow me away enough to sign up again.

Thank you for the answer!!

That's exactly why I am not sure it will be worth it for me. I am not looking for a customized plan as much as for learning proper swimming technique and improve running form/efficiency. I am looking for a coach that can look at me in person (preferably) or by video and help me improve in those areas. Also, somebody that can help me analyzed the data with a more scientific/professional approach than what I do and make decisions based on that info.

A customized plan will be great, but I think I am able to, more or less, write my own plan and do ok. You are right that most coaches offer nutrition advice services, but I am well covered in that field, so that's another benefit that I won't be taking advantage of.

Thank you again!

2014-12-12 11:07 AM

User image

Regular
David, sounds like you just want a few 1-1 sessions with a swim and run coach. I recently spent $70 for a one hour session with a swim coach, just to look at my form and provide some feedback. There's also a place near me (north Dallas 'burbs) that has a nice machine that helps with run gait analysis, with video and everything. You can surely find something similar in your area. Much better than $250/mo for the next 10 months, if that's all you're looking for.
2014-12-12 11:15 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Where in North Dallas do they do that? I've been to PlayTri a few times and they're great but not cheap!
2014-12-12 11:41 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Regular
The one I referred to is at Frisco Running Company, which is a sponsor of my tri club (NTM). It's associated with Premier Foot & Ankle. It probably isn't cheap, but I've never looked into prices. My club raffled off a free gain analysis there earlier this year.

http://www.premierfoot.com/gait-analysis.html

2014-12-16 4:27 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had video analysis done of my swim 2 years in a row, and I found it very useful. If you're looking for specific feedback on your swim technique, I'd suggest doing that and then scheduling a couple one-on-one swim sessions with a swim coach. I had one specific (very minor) issue, and I worked hard to correct it. We have a fantastic swim center here with tons of qualified swim coaches, and they offer all kinds of services. I'm doing master swim with them once the holidays are over.
2014-12-16 8:44 AM

User image

Miami
Thank you for the answers mbwallis and jarvy01! I think you are right, I am looking for some specific 1-on-1 swim and run sessions to improve my efficiency in these sports rather than a coach for the entire year. Hopefully, this approach will also fit my budget better...

2014-12-16 4:33 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
When are most of you planing on arriving in Lousiville. Im trying to gauge time off already. I was thinking the thursday to give enough time to check out the course and relax.
2014-12-17 7:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thursday - Monday for me. I'm driving from Cleveland.

Edited by jarvy01 2014-12-17 7:27 AM
2014-12-17 8:42 AM
in reply to: slides

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by slides

When are most of you planing on arriving in Lousiville. Im trying to gauge time off already. I was thinking the thursday to give enough time to check out the course and relax.

I'm going to arrive late Thursday, register early on Friday, then take the rest of my time there to relax and prep! I do plan on doing the practice swim and driving the course.
2014-12-17 8:48 AM

User image

Miami

Thursday at some point or very early Friday morning. It will depend on flights availability and price... Ideally, I would like to get there on Thursday though.
2014-12-17 8:59 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

We'll be driving from Kansas on Thursday! Leaving Monday morning as well.

2014-12-17 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Driving in Friday morning from Dayton and staying until Monday. Still need to book a hotel though!
2014-12-17 10:55 AM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Its a 11 hrs drive from minneapolis so thursday would be prime with 2 days to relax and check out the sights.
2014-12-17 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Also driving in from Kansas on Thursday and leaving on Monday. Recently found out my husband will be deployed (active duty army) on race day, so my best friend will be going with me, and a great friend I served in the army with is driving up from Wichita (about 2 hours) to stay with my kids at home for race weekend so they don't miss school. I'm staying at the Galt House
2014-12-18 8:11 AM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Lake Orion
I'm also arriving on Thursday and staying through Monday night. Being my first full, not sure I want to be rushing around trying to pack up and get out on Monday morning so extending it a day. Still up in air about bringing kids, but at this point school wins out and will have grandparents watching them.
2014-12-29 4:31 PM

User image

Regular

The plan is to drive from the Dallas area with other racers on Wednesday, returning on Monday. My wife and son will fly in on Friday, most likely. But arriving Thursday still would give you plenty of time to drive the course and relax.

2014-12-30 7:43 PM
in reply to: #5062637

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario
Arriving late aft Thursday from Ontario, Canada. Not such a long drive, and I love being able to bring whatever spares/parts/gear that I might need.
2014-12-31 12:14 PM
in reply to: runmini

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by runmini Arriving late aft Thursday from Ontario, Canada. Not such a long drive, and I love being able to bring whatever spares/parts/gear that I might need.

Agree about driving and being able to load up the car! In the past, we like to stay at places with full kitchens so we can cook our own meals, so we bring most grocery items except for fresh stuff we grab upon arrival. 

2015-01-03 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Lisa! Jillian! I am in again, too!

I also did LOU in 2011 (& 2013). LOU will be my 9th (OMG, really!?!) IM and my 3rd time at LOU. Geez, has it been that long ago? LOU in 2011 was SO fun....remember our meet up at Starbucks? And the book that Tri Sam wrote? That was a fun year! I don't really post on here all that much anymore, but had to jump on and say HI.

We'll definitely have to meet up again this year!

Happy Training!!
2015-01-03 1:18 PM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by marathongirl11 Lisa! Jillian! I am in again, too! I also did LOU in 2011 (& 2013). LOU will be my 9th (OMG, really!?!) IM and my 3rd time at LOU. Geez, has it been that long ago? LOU in 2011 was SO fun....remember our meet up at Starbucks? And the book that Tri Sam wrote? That was a fun year! I don't really post on here all that much anymore, but had to jump on and say HI. We'll definitely have to meet up again this year! Happy Training!!

WHEEEEEEEE yessss! How fun!! 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56239 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 104948 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 228047 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 164850 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173198 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.

date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: