General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-04-01 10:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread
Originally posted by lanzodt

No bad bug but I have been nursing a very annoying shinsplint Luckily running is at a fairly low-level right now and I have been on the trails so I think it's finally going away Might take every run scheduled for next week and cut it in half to ensure I'm not going to make it worse. Don't wan't to have running sidelined anytime soon :/

That is not good and you need to get that taken care of ASAP before your volume really picks up. Are you doing any specific exercises or drills besides staying on trails?

Edited by tmoran80 2015-04-01 10:40 AM

2015-04-01 11:52 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

so anyone else get hit with a bad bug? I swear I was taken out for almost 3 weeks. Thank the lord there is plenty of time left to train Kinda puts a damper on things for me for early races though Hopefully tmrw I can get some quality time in. I started slowly building back up last wknd. I still have this dry, annoying cough though. GRRR

I got hit with a bug two weeks before a mid March marathon, but am over it now. I took the remainder of March easy, but am about to crank up the bike and swim training while maintaining the run. I'm excited to get back on my bike!
2015-04-02 1:52 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Originally posted by tmoran80

No bad bug but I have been nursing a very annoying shinsplint Luckily running is at a fairly low-level right now and I have been on the trails so I think it's finally going away Might take every run scheduled for next week and cut it in half to ensure I'm not going to make it worse. Don't wan't to have running sidelined anytime soon :/

That is not good and you need to get that taken care of ASAP before your volume really picks up. Are you doing any specific exercises or drills besides staying on trails?

Not particularly... I went to the doctor (The base hospital so take it with a grain of salt) and just got some anti-inflammatory meds and made sure it wasn't a stress fracture. I have been icing regularly and have started to jump rope for about 5 minutes before I run and it seems to help. Any other suggestions?

It's no more than a minor nuisance right now so I think I am in the clear.
2015-04-02 3:29 PM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by lanzodt No bad bug but I have been nursing a very annoying shinsplint Luckily running is at a fairly low-level right now and I have been on the trails so I think it's finally going away Might take every run scheduled for next week and cut it in half to ensure I'm not going to make it worse. Don't wan't to have running sidelined anytime soon :/
Not particularly... I went to the doctor (The base hospital so take it with a grain of salt) and just got some anti-inflammatory meds and made sure it wasn't a stress fracture. I have been icing regularly and have started to jump rope for about 5 minutes before I run and it seems to help. Any other suggestions? It's no more than a minor nuisance right now so I think I am in the clear.

Compression socks helped me when I had shin splints. No fun.

2015-04-02 3:29 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by lanzodt No bad bug but I have been nursing a very annoying shinsplint Luckily running is at a fairly low-level right now and I have been on the trails so I think it's finally going away Might take every run scheduled for next week and cut it in half to ensure I'm not going to make it worse. Don't wan't to have running sidelined anytime soon :/
Not particularly... I went to the doctor (The base hospital so take it with a grain of salt) and just got some anti-inflammatory meds and made sure it wasn't a stress fracture. I have been icing regularly and have started to jump rope for about 5 minutes before I run and it seems to help. Any other suggestions? It's no more than a minor nuisance right now so I think I am in the clear.

Compression socks helped me when I had shin splints. No fun.

2015-04-05 10:23 PM

User image

Expert

Not particularly... I went to the doctor (The base hospital so take it with a grain of salt) and just got some anti-inflammatory meds and made sure it wasn't a stress fracture. I have been icing regularly and have started to jump rope for about 5 minutes before I run and it seems to help. Any other suggestions?

When I had them about 4 years ago i did these exercises religiously every morning and night - especially before my runs and it really seemed to help. I got it from Runners World:

Kneel on a carpeted floor, legs and feet together and toes pointed directly back. Then slowly sit back onto your calves and heels, pushing your ankles into the floor until you feel tension in the muscles of your shin. Hold for 10 to 12 seconds, relax and repeat.

In a sitting position, trace the alphabet on the floor with your toes. Do this with each leg. Or alternate walking on your heels for 30 seconds with 30 seconds of regular walking. Repeat four times. These exercises are good for both recovery and prevention. Try to do them three times a day.

I also have used the exercises when I feel them coming on and it prevents it. Biggest thing is just backing off and not doing too much too soon. Live by the 10% rule...good luck!

2015-04-08 3:09 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Regular
, Ohio

When I had them about 4 years ago i did these exercises religiously every morning and night - especially before my runs and it really seemed to help. I got it from Runners World:

Kneel on a carpeted floor, legs and feet together and toes pointed directly back. Then slowly sit back onto your calves and heels, pushing your ankles into the floor until you feel tension in the muscles of your shin. Hold for 10 to 12 seconds, relax and repeat.

In a sitting position, trace the alphabet on the floor with your toes. Do this with each leg. Or alternate walking on your heels for 30 seconds with 30 seconds of regular walking. Repeat four times. These exercises are good for both recovery and prevention. Try to do them three times a day.

I also have used the exercises when I feel them coming on and it prevents it. Biggest thing is just backing off and not doing too much too soon. Live by the 10% rule...good luck!

Thanks all for the advice!
2015-04-16 8:19 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
so when I trained for Lou in 2013 I started drinking sugar free cappuccino in the afternoon and it would help me get out the door in the afternoon for more training. I started drinking 2 cups a few months ago, sometimes three. I have never been a coffee drinker and rarely would I ever have a pop, which would be coke zero. I just stopped this cold turkey on Saturday. I haven't been feeling like doing much, although Sunday I had a big ride. I will say I have been sleeping like a log and feeling much better. I will continue to use gels with caffeine from time to time on longer rides, but this shall be interesting. I can't say I have given it up for good and might start having a cup in the afternoon when race gets closer. How many of you are stuck on coffee or coke, etc? do you continue to drink it for race season? I think I feel better too now that the withdrawals are gone ( at least I think they are) !
2015-04-16 8:57 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I drink one cup of coffee (black) in the morning, and one Diet Dr. Pepper in the afternoon. 

I could probably do without the Diet Dr. Pepper but seeing that it's calorie/sugar free - and I don't have any negative effects if I forget or run out - I'm not terribly worried about it. I also don't think a cup of black coffee a day is anything to be alarmed by. If I were loading it with sugar and sugared creamers I would need to think on it, but I drink it black every day.

Do you like my justifications?

2015-04-16 10:00 AM

User image

Elite
good for you!

i'm a caffiend! prob 2-3 cups of black coffee per day, but it all has to be before 3PM or i will be up ALL night.. i don't drink many soft drinks, although I do have a Dr. Pepper on occasion. I have played with the idea of killing the caffeine intake, especially b/c i think it'd help me sleep better, but, as a developer (software), it's almost a requirement! :P
2015-04-16 11:00 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
I think I have you all beat... I regularly drink almost a pot of black coffee (like your style lisac957) in the morning and will occasionally get a cup in the afternoon. I also drink unsweetened iced tea sometimes but not as frequently as coffee. And coffee before bed, no problem! I could be asleep within 30 minutes of drinking a cup. This doesn't change whether I'm training or not either.

Yes, coffee is my drug but I stay hydrated and haven't noticed any side effects yet :/ It would be interesting to how I would react sans coffee...

2015-04-17 12:31 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Columbus, Ohio
Less than 6 months until race day! How is everyone's training going? I finally got my bike tuned up and out on the road. Put in 47 miles last Sunday with some friends and surprisingly felt great.
2015-04-18 6:20 AM
in reply to: mshumak3

User image

I have black coffee in the mornings and have noticed no ill effects to training or racing. I could quit with the diet Cokes though.
2015-05-04 2:20 PM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

Regular
Akron
How long are your long rides right now? I just did a 6 hr race over the wknd, but don't plan on doing anything over 4hrs for a few/several weeks ( so I say). Man I'm sore! erffff

I think I have a good base now.lol
2015-05-04 2:46 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My long rides are just over 2 hours right now. I'll ramp up steadily and then hit 5 hour rides in August.

2015-05-05 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Also just doing 2 hour rides right now, will do a few 3 hour rides in the next few weeks in preparation for Muncie 70.3. After that will be bumping up ride time starting in August

2015-05-08 6:07 AM

User image

Too long too early = burnout! Patience...the 5 hour Saturday mornings will be here soon enough.
2015-05-09 8:11 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Calvin386

Too long too early = burnout! Patience...the 5 hour Saturday mornings will be here soon enough.

Haha, my longest rides are an hour at this point!

I'll start adding distance in mid june. for now, it's just intensity, intensity, intensity.
2015-05-09 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
I have had a few 3 hour rides already. However, I am training for a half at the end of June. Building for that more than Louisville at this point.
2015-05-10 5:56 AM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

I am mostly interval work now as well but with Muncie 70.3 on the horizon I am working in some volume on the weekends.

Switching gears a little....I am looking for a race tire. Suggestions?
2015-05-10 6:17 PM

User image

Elite

I am mostly interval work now as well but with Muncie 70.3 on the horizon I am working in some volume on the weekends.

Switching gears a little....I am looking for a race tire. Suggestions?

I've been using the 700x23 Conti GP4000 II. It's prob one of the top all around tires out there.

2015-05-11 11:33 AM
in reply to: #5062637

User image

Copy that. I'll give them a look.
2015-05-11 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
x2 on the Conti's. Front and back. Great tire.
2015-05-11 6:48 PM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

You guys are gonna think I'm crazy but I have been racing with Gatorskins. I know everyone says they're slow but I just don't want to flat during a race.

This year I'm gonna go with a race tire though.
2015-05-12 10:34 AM

User image

Elite

You guys are gonna think I'm crazy but I have been racing with Gatorskins. I know everyone says they're slow but I just don't want to flat during a race.

This year I'm gonna go with a race tire though.

Don't race on Gatorskins, d00d. You're giving up TONS of speed. Training, yeah, sure, why not?
The Conti GP4000 has an inner layer that provides more than adequate protection against flats. I'd seriously consider a pair if I were you!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56349 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 105024 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 228123 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 164916 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173269 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.

date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: