General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-24 2:27 PM

Subject: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance?
Due to time constraints I'm pulling the plug for a few years on doing 70.3, marathons and century rides to focus on getting fast at sprint and olympic distance.

Obviously I'm swapping mileage for speed and intervals in training but what should be a baseline as the longest bike and run in training? Plans I've looked at show 2.5hr bike on the weekend and around 1hr 10 runs mid-week.

Does this sound about right?

2014-10-24 5:23 PM
in reply to: #5062740

User image

Subject: RE: Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance?
Great question. That sounds right to me but I'll be interested in what others have to say.
2014-10-24 5:33 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Probably want to look at it within the context of the training. Not just that it's more short course than long course oriented, but the specifics of the work being done the rest of the time. What you're doing with the time matters a lot, it's not that you're just doing something.

Edited by brigby1 2014-10-24 5:34 PM
2014-10-24 5:47 PM
in reply to: elliot.power

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
There are many factors to consider but for the longest workouts, a rough guideline I would use is:

Swim - 3500m (with most workouts around 3000m)
Bike - about as long as you plan to race with at least some time spent at race efforts
Run - the lessor of double your expected run time or 90 minutes

Shane
2014-10-24 7:03 PM

As others have stated, there are many factors to consider when plotting out your training. The entire training plan put together is what will prepare you for the race. Having said that, Shane's recommendations are pretty good. I currently do not plan to race any 70.3's next season, but may change my mind by the end of the year & add one. But since you asked the question pertaining to "longest" workout here is what I will be doing: build up to a weekly long ride of 70 miles, which once I get to that point will maintain until the end of the season. Build up to a long run of 1:45, which will then be maintained on an every other week basis. I have found that doing the long workouts at this distance, especially the bike, gives me a strong base to really push the pace during a race. BTW, these are not just long slow workouts. The bike will have 3/4 x 20 mins & the run will be a build.
2014-10-24 7:44 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I agree that if you are time constrained, shorter races will work better for you.
However, you say that you want to get fast in sprints and olympics. You can bet that the fast guys are putting in just as much volume in the sprint league as the long distance guys. You won't rank higher on shorter races while cutting back on training.

(If you meant that you just wanted to go faster relative to your long course speeds, then I misunderstood. Carry on!)

2014-10-24 8:34 PM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Originally posted by 5stones

As others have stated, there are many factors to consider when plotting out your training. The entire training plan put together is what will prepare you for the race. Having said that, Shane's recommendations are pretty good. I currently do not plan to race any 70.3's next season, but may change my mind by the end of the year & add one. But since you asked the question pertaining to "longest" workout here is what I will be doing: build up to a weekly long ride of 70 miles, which once I get to that point will maintain until the end of the season. Build up to a long run of 1:45, which will then be maintained on an every other week basis. I have found that doing the long workouts at this distance, especially the bike, gives me a strong base to really push the pace during a race. BTW, these are not just long slow workouts. The bike will have 3/4 x 20 mins & the run will be a build.

This is interesting. When I trained for a HIM, my longest ride was 70 miles and the longest run was 1:45. So for me, since I am not a high volume type of person by nature, would think that for an Olympic distance, this type of distance would be overkill. If you end up wanting to jump into a 70.3, I would feel comfortable with that level of volume.

My long for an Olympic distance focus tends to be around 45 mile bike ride and 9 mile run. I am guessing that since you are time constrained, a 3-4 hour weekend ride (70 miles) would be too much time anyway.
2014-10-24 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It sounds pretty similar to what I would do. Normally a long run of about 90 minutes (my Oly 10 km in a good race would be around 45-47 minutes) and long ride of 2- 2.5 hours. Both of those would include some race-pace work, though, like tempo, fartlek, or 20 minutes repeats at race effort on the bike.
Occasionally I might do a longer, less intense ride of 3-4 hours (MTB ride with local club). There might still be some bits of hard effort in there, as it's a group ride and some people really pick it up when we hit a less technical section, but also some pretty slow riding in the more tricky parts.
2014-10-24 9:10 PM
in reply to: Mc Q

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Mc Q
Originally posted by 5stones As others have stated, there are many factors to consider when plotting out your training. The entire training plan put together is what will prepare you for the race. Having said that, Shane's recommendations are pretty good. I currently do not plan to race any 70.3's next season, but may change my mind by the end of the year & add one. But since you asked the question pertaining to "longest" workout here is what I will be doing: build up to a weekly long ride of 70 miles, which once I get to that point will maintain until the end of the season. Build up to a long run of 1:45, which will then be maintained on an every other week basis. I have found that doing the long workouts at this distance, especially the bike, gives me a strong base to really push the pace during a race. BTW, these are not just long slow workouts. The bike will have 3/4 x 20 mins & the run will be a build.
This is interesting. When I trained for a HIM, my longest ride was 70 miles and the longest run was 1:45. So for me, since I am not a high volume type of person by nature, would think that for an Olympic distance, this type of distance would be overkill. If you end up wanting to jump into a 70.3, I would feel comfortable with that level of volume. My long for an Olympic distance focus tends to be around 45 mile bike ride and 9 mile run. I am guessing that since you are time constrained, a 3-4 hour weekend ride (70 miles) would be too much time anyway.

Those are the long workouts, not volume. Volume at a larger aspect of training, like how much is done in a week. I would look more at the harder workouts being done than the long ones. Seeing if they have appropriate intensity and duration. Then fit in other easier work for more volume. This other work can be more flexible in how it fits in, so it may work out for someone that the durations listed end up being the best way to fit in. Or it could be spread a little more throughout the week. Would not just take them in a vacuum, however.

2014-10-25 1:12 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Mc Q
Originally posted by 5stones As others have stated, there are many factors to consider when plotting out your training. The entire training plan put together is what will prepare you for the race. Having said that, Shane's recommendations are pretty good. I currently do not plan to race any 70.3's next season, but may change my mind by the end of the year & add one. But since you asked the question pertaining to "longest" workout here is what I will be doing: build up to a weekly long ride of 70 miles, which once I get to that point will maintain until the end of the season. Build up to a long run of 1:45, which will then be maintained on an every other week basis. I have found that doing the long workouts at this distance, especially the bike, gives me a strong base to really push the pace during a race. BTW, these are not just long slow workouts. The bike will have 3/4 x 20 mins & the run will be a build.
This is interesting. When I trained for a HIM, my longest ride was 70 miles and the longest run was 1:45. So for me, since I am not a high volume type of person by nature, would think that for an Olympic distance, this type of distance would be overkill. If you end up wanting to jump into a 70.3, I would feel comfortable with that level of volume. My long for an Olympic distance focus tends to be around 45 mile bike ride and 9 mile run. I am guessing that since you are time constrained, a 3-4 hour weekend ride (70 miles) would be too much time anyway.

Those are the long workouts, not volume. Volume at a larger aspect of training, like how much is done in a week. I would look more at the harder workouts being done than the long ones. Seeing if they have appropriate intensity and duration. Then fit in other easier work for more volume. This other work can be more flexible in how it fits in, so it may work out for someone that the durations listed end up being the best way to fit in. Or it could be spread a little more throughout the week. Would not just take them in a vacuum, however.

I absolutely agree you cannot evaluate those or any workouts in a vacuum. The totality of the training plan must be taken into consideration. Which is why the bigger consideration should be how all the workouts fit together to increase fitness. However the OP asked about long workouts not volume. I am not suggesting those are "correct" long workouts for the OP, just giving an example to think about. In terms of volume, if you want to be good at short course you still need lots of volume(good=competitive at Nationals or similar). It is not an either or proposition.

Edited by 5stones 2014-10-25 1:16 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Longest Bike and Run for Olympic Distance? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Long run and Long bike same weekend?

Started by wfricks
Views: 1829 Posts: 19

2009-09-03 1:30 PM Baowolf

How long to train for a Sprint/Olympic Distance triathlon

Started by Radness
Views: 12519 Posts: 11

2009-03-15 11:12 PM Radness

Long Runs as a Percent of Weekly Distance - Daniel's Running Formula

Started by mbmoran2
Views: 3563 Posts: 8

2008-03-19 5:42 PM WaterDog66

long run and long bike back to back?

Started by kellc09
Views: 1631 Posts: 10

2006-02-26 8:32 AM amiine

LONG BIKE / LONG RUN

Started by COP2TRI
Views: 1412 Posts: 9

2005-01-07 5:54 PM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : December 22, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
I only had 6 weeks to prepare, so I pushed myself pretty hard while I was training. After my first figure competition, my trainer had me take a week off just to rest and recoup. Was this needed?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : April 17, 2005
My question is on nutrition in a long race. Most intake will occur on the bike, but I'm curious as to the details. I didn't do real well in this area last year and really need to improve.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A compilation from the old site.