General Discussion Triathlon Talk » felt like forever Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-24 3:57 PM

User image

Subject: felt like forever
Hello,

This is my 5th month of sprint tri training. This morning, I did a run-swim brick. It was my FIRST time to run on a cushioned track. I thought I will enjoy it, but it felt like forever just to do 1 mile!!! It takes 4 laps to get a mile ( flat track).

My usual run training is on a hill and I love it!!!! (see picture below)

I thought I will enjoy track running vs road running. Which do you prefer?

(scenic jogging path.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
scenic jogging path.jpg (162KB - 9 downloads)

2014-10-24 4:00 PM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: felt like forever

Oh wow, nice path!

2014-10-24 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Since I don't do any running and certainly not track running, I can't answer your question specifically, but I do do road cycling and track cycling and I think the principles are the same. 

I go back and forth between which I like better. If most of my workouts are on either the road or the track, then I miss the other and think I like the other better. I like both in different ways too. Track has more focused workouts and races and I can get feedback instantly and really feel like I'm improving. Also, shorter sets with breaks promote more social interaction with others as well. But there's nothing quite like being on the open road and feeling like you can go wherever you feel.

2014-10-24 4:03 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I *definitely* prefer road running to running in circles.  If at all possible, I try to run on the dirt shoulder or gravel/dirt paths instead of asphalt or concrete because it's a softer surface and easier on my joints.

2014-10-24 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I rarely run on tracks, only short interval fartlek type stuff.  If I can't run on a trail or city streets or the like, then I might as well run on my treadmill.

I run mostly asphalt trails, some concrete.  I'm not a fan of trail running (roots, and branches type stuff, hard on my ankles) but gravel paths I'll do.

2014-10-25 1:32 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Try running on an indoor track which is 200m, or 8 laps to a mile.

I like the outdoor track near my house for speed work and even easy runs. I also like paths, sidewalks, trails, treadmills-- I like a lot of variety.

I will often listen to podcasts or music to help pass the time.

2014-10-25 6:47 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

I don't think a track run is that bad but I only run on the track for speed workouts (200-1200m intervals repeats, depending on day) with local tri club. Just going to a track to run in circles is not something I'd do. I prefer to run around a lake here. There's a restroom and water every ~1.5 miles or so. I also run around my neighborhood and have 3-10 mile routes. This has some repeated loops but I just started leaving some Gatoraid outside and it works out pretty nice. You could always try that.
2014-10-25 8:32 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No contest--detest running on tracks and treadmills! There aren't any tracks here (actually there is one, but it's several miles away downtown and there's no regular public access, plus surrounded by very busy, polluted streets) so it's a moot point. I do my speedwork on a measured stretch of road. The only time I've ever run much on the track is for speedwork (800m and under) in HS and college. Even then, we did some of it on grass or (in college) trails. My worst race memory is of 10K on a track!

Nowhere really interesting to run here--the best i can say is I can find reasonably traffic-free residential streets to do most of my runs on. The only problem is that there's really only about four miles of these streets so my runs involve a lot of loops and repetition. But still better than the treadmill. What I really miss are the wood chip trails in Eugene, Oregon, which is home when I'm not overseas. They're pretty unique to the northwest and that extensive a system is probably unique to our town. There's a meandering set of trails along the river and through the woods that gives you about a seven mile loop--I use it a lot for fartlek and tempo runs, and like to finish up long runs there; also a trail in another part of town that has one kilometer, 1200m, 1500m, and one-mile loops. The one-kilometer loop is marked every 100m, and the mile loop every quarter, so it's a great forgiving surface for speedwork and the marking helps with pacing. It also joins into another wood chip trail that winds through some residential areas, which is good for tempo/fartlek runs, or warmups/cooldowns from speedwork on the shorter trail.

Of course, Eugene is "running capital of the world"--these trails were created to cement its reputation in that respect. You never know what elite athletes you'll spy training there, as well as lots of lesser mortals like me.
2014-10-26 6:47 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I definitely prefer non-track running.... Track workouts are more fun if you can find a group to train with - or invite a few friends to share the misery with.
2014-10-26 9:34 AM
in reply to: jsnowash

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Trails ,Road Then track & Treadmill In that order for me, as you found out laps and laps around the track can seem like forever, the outdoor track is better being larger but working out on the 200M indoor track is like brutal, I only use it if its like - 20 outside and blowing like crazy or if its above 90 to 95 degrees outside because its air conditioned and heated.
2014-10-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

A track is almost as bad as a treadmill. Maybe even worse. I think if I ran on one, I would have flashbacks to jr high and high school gym. I might be so traumatized that I give up running all together.

2014-10-27 11:44 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I much prefer roads to tracks but at least there is your water bottle close by if needed. I like the track for interval training because I know I will push harder on the track.

The road you run on looks great.
2014-10-27 12:25 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by laffinrock

I *definitely* prefer road running to running in circles.  If at all possible, I try to run on the dirt shoulder or gravel/dirt paths instead of asphalt or concrete because it's a softer surface and easier on my joints.

Phebes, I agree with Mary. Interestingly, there is an indoor track in Santa Fe that is 1/10th of a mile! Argh!!!!!!!! I hate it when I have to resort to that one!
2014-10-29 7:11 AM

User image

Hi all,

Thank you for the complements on the running path. I'm blessed to have this path, walk-in distance from my house

I agree with you that running tracks will be my last resort. It's like running on treadmill. Like Jen, I need some kind of music to listen too. Also, I will use tracks if I run with somebody.

Someday, I will run trails with my husband and Maya ( our German Sheperd). They prefer to run or bike on trails.

I also practice running uphill/downhill on White Sands (give my legs a break from concrete/asphalt running, see pic ) during family time...... ( since the start of my tri training 6 months ago, I always find ways to incorporate my tri training )

(white sands.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
white sands.jpg (12KB - 7 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » felt like forever Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

After what seems like forever... (front door brag) Pages: 1 2

Started by Leegoocrap
Views: 3253 Posts: 30

2012-08-15 6:26 PM wbayek

The end of the Flip turn debate forever Pages: 1 2

Started by axteraa
Views: 3062 Posts: 27

2011-09-23 2:18 PM TriAya

So we triathletes should live forever then? :-)

Started by JollyRoger
Views: 1140 Posts: 5

2011-08-17 4:14 AM sicone

Warm-up takes forever???

Started by Cordulegaster
Views: 825 Posts: 8

2010-07-12 12:47 PM Chaderbox

I feel like I can swim forever now!

Started by skipg
Views: 1332 Posts: 9

2008-02-26 8:15 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!
date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?

date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?
date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!