General Discussion Race Reports! » Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Canada Running Series Inc.
3C / 37F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 58s
Overall Rank = 28/5619
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/1222
Pre-race routine:

I trained for this race with Pierre as my coach. It was a good but tough program, with one long run, one fartlek or pace and one shorter-faster run. There was a recovery week every 3-4 weeks, this was maybe the hardest part for me because I felt I would lose my momentum and then have a few bad weeks in a row before getting back on track. The most successful part was learning to push outside of my comfort zone which I need to continue to improve on to see further improvements.

Ok, so my last run was 2 days out from the race. about 5km I believe. Day before the race was travel to Stouffville. We slept at Kate and Anthony's, had pasta and steak dinner and went to bed around 10pm. Once again (same thing happened in Ottawa before the marathon), Hudson decided to make sleeping extremely hard. He woke around 11pm then again at 3am, at 3am he decided he didn't want to go back to sleep, eventually at 4:30am Jon took him out of the room (we were all sleeping in the same room, but Hudson was in the pack n play). I had maybe about 4hrs of sleep. For breakfast I ate 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter.
Event warmup:

The event warm up was just a 10 min jog, and a GU gel about 20 mins before hand.
Run
  • 1h 27m 58s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 10s  min/km
Comments:

First of all, I started 35 sec back from the start line (behind the 1:30 pace bunny). This was a bit of a mistake, mostly bc the race start was for marathons and half marathons so I was dodging people for a long way (probably 2-3km) and this was a waste of energy. I knew from the time I woke up that I was going to have a good day. I just felt ready and excited. Once I got a groove going around 5-6km I knew I running fast (sub 4:10's). Normally I would check myself and pull back a bit, but on this day I didn't think that was necessary. I was going to have a great race. Mentally I used my trusty strategy of breaking the race into thirds. Run the first 1/3rd with your head, the 2nd with your personality and the last with your heart. For each I repeated....
1 - relax and focus
2nd - strong and smart
3rd - Hudson... I'm coming

At 10km a women ask me my goal, I said sub 90. She said "me too", and I replied "ok let's run". I wasn't in the mind set to chat, and good thing she wasn't either. We carried each other until about 18km, when she broke from me and I couldn't follow. I kept calm, and ran hard. I dropped off my pace a little here, and got a little frustrated by it but was able to mentally check back into the race and finish strong.

As for how I felt physically - I noticed at various times in the race that my legs felt fine. Great actually. If anything was limiting me it was my stomach... I had to do some breathing to avoid cramps and came very close to barfing at the finish line. I'm not entirely sure how to go about fixing this, but I know it's not a one off issue. So I should probably work on it.

Fueling - Gel at 5km, 12km and a 1/4 of a Gel at 18km. Water at every station. pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

Celebrated with my fam jam! John and Jill and mom ran too!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- stomach - see comment above

What helped me be successful -

I've learned the key is pace work. The more times I see the race pace on my garmin or on the treadmill the more confident I become at knowing I can run that pace in a race. When I was marathon training I did one key pace workout a week and 4:30 just started feeling "normal". With this half marathon I did a lot of 2 x 4km and fartlek's all in the 4:02-4:12 pace range and so 4:10 just felt "normal".

The other important thing for me is to focus on my strengths when I race. I'm a very strong distance runner, but I am not fast, so my race tactic is very important. I never go out to fast cause I'll crash and burn. I find my pace and I hold it for 21km or 42km or whatever the distance is. I use my head when I race and to be honest I think that's one of my biggest strengths as a runner.

Last updated: 2014-10-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:27:58 | 21.1 kms | 04m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 9/1222
Overall: 28/5619
Performance: Good
I set my watch for 3km splits, they were as follows: 0 - 3km - 12:29 (4:10 pace) 3 - 6km - 12:04 (4:01 pace) 6 - 9km - 12:07 (4:02 pace) 9 - 12km - 12:28 (4:09 pace) 12 -15km - 12:26 (4:09 pace) 15-18km - 12:18 (4:06 pace) 18 - 21.1km - 14:08 (4:33 pace, but I know I ran closer to 22.3km so this was likely 4:16-4:20 pace)
Course: flat, windy. A few small hills at 14km and 19km. Great spectators, tons of runners, lots of fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-25 1:49 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon

Started by pjadidi
Views: 417 Posts: 1

2012-10-14 8:45 PM pjadidi

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon

Started by playmobil31
Views: 981 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 10:01 AM playmobil31

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon

Started by hrthomson
Views: 974 Posts: 1

2007-01-19 10:34 AM hrthomson

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Half Marathon

Started by kizaf
Views: 1198 Posts: 1

2006-09-25 11:20 AM kizaf

Scotiabank- Toronto Waterfront Marathon

Started by sboucher
Views: 637 Posts: 1

2006-09-25 9:10 AM sboucher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.