General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-25 4:44 PM

User image

, Illinois
Subject: Heart Rate Monitor
I'm looking for a cheap HR monitor. I use MapMyRun for time and distance and would just use the monitor once in a while to confirm my RPE. I also want to do some indoor bike training this winter based on heart rate. I have an Android phone and think I want Bluetooth compatible. I've looked around and it seems the low end of monitors fall between $25-$80. Are the $80 models 3X better than the $25 models? Does anyone have any experience using these lower end monitors?

Edited by ec1974 2014-10-25 4:49 PM

2014-10-27 7:11 AM
in reply to: ec1974

Union, Kentucky
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Monitor
I've had a couple of the mid range ones- first a Wahoo Blue HR then the Wahoo TICKR Run. The Run was towards the higher end, around $80, versus more like $50, but for the money you get dual ANT+/BTLE transmission so you can use it with any watch or phone, a motion sensor that gives you info on cadence and such while running, and a couple of LEDs that flash so you know it's working. That to me was worth the extra $30.

I haven't used any of $25 ones or anything, but I'd recommend one of the dual ANT+/BTLE ones just to be able to use it with any receiver you want.
2014-10-27 1:28 PM
in reply to: Spillicus

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Monitor
Originally posted by Spillicus

I've had a couple of the mid range ones- first a Wahoo Blue HR then the Wahoo TICKR Run. The Run was towards the higher end, around $80, versus more like $50, but for the money you get dual ANT+/BTLE transmission so you can use it with any watch or phone, a motion sensor that gives you info on cadence and such while running, and a couple of LEDs that flash so you know it's working. That to me was worth the extra $30.

I haven't used any of $25 ones or anything, but I'd recommend one of the dual ANT+/BTLE ones just to be able to use it with any receiver you want.

If you are spending $50+ for the tickr, check out the scosche rhythm. It is an optical arm band strap that does BTLE or ANT+ (perheps both?). Its got a great DCR review. A friend has one and he loves it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heart surgeon speaks out on what really causes heart disease

Started by Drago
Views: 3014 Posts: 21

2012-08-27 10:25 AM Oysterboy

heart rate on the bike

Started by trilover
Views: 1442 Posts: 19

2003-12-08 6:02 AM cameronw

Heart Rate Monitors

Started by Rio
Views: 1652 Posts: 19

2003-11-26 7:49 AM cameronw

Scott Herrick's Heart-Rate Article.

Started by Ron
Views: 1579 Posts: 4

2003-10-09 8:28 AM Lara

Heart rate monitor

Started by hytenms
Views: 1364 Posts: 5

2003-08-26 3:29 AM hytenms
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?
date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.

date : July 2, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
From triple bypass to triathlon. I am now just two days away from the Pacific Crest Half-Ironman.
date : November 27, 2005
author : mikericci
Focus on doing the drills and improving each week. Eventually you will go out for a run, look down, and see that your pace has improved, your heart rate is lower, and your cadence is over 90 rpm.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 1
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.