Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Running and biking in Sri Lanka? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-25 11:10 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Running and biking in Sri Lanka?
Kinda sorta tri-related, but maybe it goes better in COJ--

I'm planning a bike tour in Sri Lanka in December and would also like to get in a few runs while I'm there--less for training purposes than personal compulsion--yearly totals; I also keep track of how many countries I've run in! Haven't had much luck with guidebooks or websites into how feasible/acceptable it is for a woman to run there, what would be most appropriate to wear, etc. If anyone has visited or lived there, would appreciate insight into the following:

*Can/do women (expats, locals) run in public in the daylight with a reasonable degree of safety?
*What would be acceptable attire for running? Can I get by with a T-shirt and running shorts, or better to bring baggy knee-length shorts or full-length yoga pants? Are there any taboos about bare shoulders, etc.? Not planning to run into any temples, but don't want to provoke undue attention or offend local sensibilities.
*Likewise, what would acceptable cycling attire look like? Okay for an expat woman to cycle in jersey, bike shorts, and arm coolers, or should I plan on wearing longer shorts or pants over that? In SE Asia, I generally bring capris or a sarong to pull on over the shorts if, for example, we stop in a village for lunch or sightseeing while cycling.

We'll be staying in a few beach resorts, tourist centers such as Galle, Kandy, and Nuwara Eliya, some smaller towns in transit, and a couple of the national parks. In the interests of not being trampled by an elephant or bitten by a poisonous snake, figure if I do run it will probably be on the beach or perhaps in a town park.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Running and biking in Sri Lanka? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Advice on Biking /Running Group

Started by gofishtlp
Views: 637 Posts: 4

2008-10-03 11:10 AM lisac957

Beads with swim bike run on them

Started by mathsgeek
Views: 686 Posts: 10

2008-01-09 3:41 PM briderdt

Favorite running/biking music

Started by Triguy67
Views: 504 Posts: 19

2007-11-19 8:07 PM scoobysdad

Reason to swim, bike, run fast

Started by gullahcracker
Views: 718 Posts: 6

2005-07-14 9:28 AM madeye

biking , shooting,running swimming?

Started by cdom
Views: 965 Posts: 5

2004-12-29 7:40 PM rkreuser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 6, 2009
author : ChiRunning
comments : 0
In this second part, Danny Dreyer, Founder and Head Coach of Chi Running, will discuss several ways to correct your posture for better running.

date : June 3, 2009
author : ChiRunning
comments : 1
Danny Dreyer, Founder and Head Coach of Chi Running, will discuss how to improve your transition from the bike to the run.
date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : January 29, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on bricks, bike steering when reaching for hydration, and flip-turns.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A compilation from the old site.