Socalultrarunning
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 20m 33s
Overall Rank = 3/40
Age Group = M 50-59
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

This was a bit of an impulse race: I've been considering moving up to ultra distances since 2012, but the lower back strain I've been rehabbing since that summer put that on the back burner. Saw a post on Facebook about this race a few weeks ago and decided to see if I could get ready for it on short notice, since it was a new race, new race series, and relatively local.

Started ramping up my Sunday long runs (from the usual ~11 miles) on September 28, giving me four weeks to get to a target of 22+ miles and build my volume of climbing as well. I've been dealing with Achilles and metatarsalgia issues in my right foot and ankle and a recurrence of my chronic PTT in my left arch, so I wasn't sure how an aggressive build would go, but everything was manageable. After a 22.22 mile run (about 40% trails) with ~3000' of climbing on 10/19, I decided to register.
Event warmup:

Just tried to stay warm until the sun came up in the canyon where the start/finish area was.
Run
  • 5h 20m 33s
  • 50 kms
  • 06m 25s  min/km
Comments:

First ultra distance race. Generally went very well. Ran all of it--including some brutally steep climbs just before and after the marathon distance point--except for a total of 0.33 miles of walking during the last two long climbs (0.13 miles at 28.4 and three brief stretches totaling 0.20 miles at 29.9).

I was told at the next-to-last aid station that I was in fourth and the third place runner had just left...I saw him almost immediately, walking the long climb out of the aid station. Ran past him on the grade and never saw him again. At the last aid station, they told me I was third overall. Somehow, though, at the finish, I was listed in the results as fourth.

**UPDATE (11/25/14) - After much back-and-forth with the timing company and RD, I was indeed 3rd overall. It took a month and two emails from the RD, but the guy credited with 3rd finally responded and admitted that he had dropped down to the 30K distance on course and just didn't bother to tell anyone. So instead of 4th of 41, the results are being corrected to 3rd of 40 overall.**
What would you do differently?:

I've lost so much weight this year that my five-pocket shorts were sagging down my ass for the first 10 miles. I stopped at an aid station and had them cut the drawstring loop the shorts have so I could cinch them tighter...that did the trick, but I wish I had remembered that was a potential issue _before_ the race.

Otherwise, I think this went amazingly well for my first ultra...can't complain about 3rd overall. Time was 20 minutes slower than I predicted, but there was also 1000' more climbing than advertised.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around...ate a little and drank. Fought cramps in calves and quads. (Actually blacked out for a couple seconds when I got a bad quad cramp getting up out of the car at home...my wife had to sit me back down until I came around.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably a bit undertrained. Temps got up to around 80F by the end...very little shade over the last three miles, with some very tough climbs...had to walk a little to get HR under control.

Event comments:

First ultra race organized by SoCalUltraRunning. Very welcoming and spirited race director...did a good job on an obviously limited budget. I'd consider doing this again. Beautiful course (although a bit lonely with only ~40 runners spread out through 31 miles of canyons and hills.).

Last updated: 2014-10-19 12:00 AM
Running
05:20:33 | 50 kms | 06m 25s  min/km
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 3/40
Performance: Good
Course: All fire road and single track in canyons and mountains of the Simi Hills. My Garmin fenix 2 had the total climbing as 5440'.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?