User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Election 2014

Originally posted by Jackemy1
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by Jackemy1 I was at a fundraising event for Senator Collins about a month ago and had a conversation with her on a number of things, one of them regarding the dysfunction the Senate and how was it that what was once the greatest institution for public debate has devolved into what it is today. She said the Harry Reid's changing of the Senate rules eroding the minority party's rights was disastrous to the functionality of the Senate. She stated that if the GOP was elected to the majority in the Senate, her first order of business was to re-install Senate rules that protect the minority. So I am routing for a GOP takeover and hoping that she'll be able to do what she promises and that proper debate that involves the minority and demands consensus building can be brought back to Senate.

Do you honestly believe that if the GOP gains the majority, their first order of business will be to give more power back to the Democrats?

Yes, absolutely. I've known Sen. Collins for a few years now and find her to be of impressive character and integrity. I also know she values the Senate as a civil institution designed to protect the rights of the minority opinion. Besides, she has no reason to lie to me to garner my vote.
Your faith in her and her fellow Republicans is inspiring, but, politicians being politicians, I'm going to go ahead and not hold my breath on that one. Politicians lie for the same reason that well-fed house cats chase mice: it's in their nature.
So be it. The nice thing about this is that we'll have the opportunity to see which opinion holds true in January.

Unless....

2014-10-28 4:22 PM
in reply to: tuwood

New user
Key West
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by Jackemy1 I was at a fundraising event for Senator Collins about a month ago and had a conversation with her on a number of things, one of them regarding the dysfunction the Senate and how was it that what was once the greatest institution for public debate has devolved into what it is today. She said the Harry Reid's changing of the Senate rules eroding the minority party's rights was disastrous to the functionality of the Senate. She stated that if the GOP was elected to the majority in the Senate, her first order of business was to re-install Senate rules that protect the minority. So I am routing for a GOP takeover and hoping that she'll be able to do what she promises and that proper debate that involves the minority and demands consensus building can be brought back to Senate.

Do you honestly believe that if the GOP gains the majority, their first order of business will be to give more power back to the Democrats?

Yes, absolutely. I've known Sen. Collins for a few years now and find her to be of impressive character and integrity. I also know she values the Senate as a civil institution designed to protect the rights of the minority opinion. Besides, she has no reason to lie to me to garner my vote.
Your faith in her and her fellow Republicans is inspiring, but, politicians being politicians, I'm going to go ahead and not hold my breath on that one. Politicians lie for the same reason that well-fed house cats chase mice: it's in their nature.
So be it. The nice thing about this is that we'll have the opportunity to see which opinion holds true in January.

Unless....

Please don't remind me what a mess Florida is (in so many ways). All of the politicians here disgust me. Hard to decide who disgusts me less. Right now I can say for sure the Bondi (the AG) disgusts me the most. After that, it is pretty close for the rest.
2014-11-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Just get out and vote.  Don't vote? Don't complain.

2014-11-03 3:47 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by crowny2

I can only vote in one of these United States, but I have a right to complain about policies passed by legislators from all of them.    

Truth be told, I think way too many people vote as it is.  If a person requires encouragement to vote, then I'd just as soon they didn't.

2014-11-03 4:06 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Hook'em

I can only vote in one of these United States, but I have a right to complain about policies passed by legislators from all of them.    

Truth be told, I think way too many people vote as it is.  If a person requires encouragement to vote, then I'd just as soon they didn't.

lol, there is something to be said about the uninformed voters. 

I did vote today because we're traveling tomorrow, and even as what I would consider a very informed voter it's really hard to do your homework all the way down the ballot.  My ballot was 4 pages long and other than the first handful of high office races I have barely heard of most of the people on the ballot and they're mostly non-partisan positions so you can't even vote ideologically.

Fortunately I had my handy dandy voters guide that I could read the personal statement of every ballot, but even with that there were two or three board positions that weren't even in my voters guide so I didn't vote for any of them.  No freebies from tuwood.  :-P
I did vote for every position that had a Libertarian and had a good mix of R's and D's the rest of the way down.  I have to say I feel that this was my most "informed" vote to date. 

I do have a long standing position of voting no for every single judge that comes up for retention, so those are always easy.  Throw them all out.  lol

2014-11-03 4:50 PM

User image

Pro

I'm in no hurry for the elections in my part of the world.....because when they are over, we're going to get a Grand Jury decision that is liable to make life a whole lot less fun for a few days or so for me.

They won't send out the GJ decision before the elections......so I'm all for putting the elections off until.....oh.....maybe January when it's 0 degrees with a -20 wind chill.

2014-11-03 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Denver

Originally posted by tuwood

lol, there is something to be said about the uninformed voters. 

I did vote today because we're traveling tomorrow, and even as what I would consider a very informed voter it's really hard to do your homework all the way down the ballot.  My ballot was 4 pages long and other than the first handful of high office races I have barely heard of most of the people on the ballot and they're mostly non-partisan positions so you can't even vote ideologically.

Fortunately I had my handy dandy voters guide that I could read the personal statement of every ballot, but even with that there were two or three board positions that weren't even in my voters guide so I didn't vote for any of them.  No freebies from tuwood.  :-P
I did vote for every position that had a Libertarian and had a good mix of R's and D's the rest of the way down.  I have to say I feel that this was my most "informed" vote to date. 

I do have a long standing position of voting no for every single judge that comes up for retention, so those are always easy.  Throw them all out.  lol

Funny, I always do the exact opposite.  I always vote yes for all of them unless there's some hugely compelling reason like they got caught taking bribes or something.  The surest way to dismantle a democracy is to turn judges into politicians...

2014-11-04 8:25 AM

User image

Champion

Yes, because putting the fate of the many in the hands of the few has always worked out so well.

2014-11-04 9:02 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Yes, because putting the fate of the many in the hands of the few has always worked out so well.

I'd rather fewer informed voters make decisions than the politically ignorant masses.  An informed electorate is vital for democracy to work - we do not have an informed electorate.  It is nearly impossible for a voter to be fully informed these days.  While there are plenty of people who don't even try to become informed, political ignorance is systemic and is a direct byproduct of how complicated our government has become.  How many voters are informed about the issues, have thought through their own positions on the issues, and know how opposing candidates stand on those issues in any given race?  Not many, including me.  Like Tuwood, I won't vote in a race unless I have taken the time to gain the knowledge to make an informed decision - there are races on every ballot that I leave blank.

2014-11-04 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Kinda sad. I used to be a card carrying member of the libertarian party and that is the only party I did not vote for today.
2014-11-04 10:23 AM

User image

Champion

I'd rather fewer informed voters make decisions than the politically ignorant masses.  An informed electorate is vital for democracy to work - we do not have an informed electorate.  It is nearly impossible for a voter to be fully informed these days.  While there are plenty of people who don't even try to become informed, political ignorance is systemic and is a direct byproduct of how complicated our government has become.  How many voters are informed about the issues, have thought through their own positions on the issues, and know how opposing candidates stand on those issues in any given race?  Not many, including me.  Like Tuwood, I won't vote in a race unless I have taken the time to gain the knowledge to make an informed decision - there are races on every ballot that I leave blank.

I agree to a point.  An informed electorate is vital for an effective democracy to work.  My point is that I believe people should inform themselves.  I'm not advocating for people walking into the booth and just randomly voting OR voting party lines without actually researching what the Person, not Party, is running on.  I'm advocating for people to actually inform themselves on what is going on.  And frankly it is the least we, as citizens, can do.  And it isn't like today just "snuck up" on people.  We have known for a LONG time that it was coming.  So being unprepared or uninformed is a lame excuse.  Sorry.  No sympathy.  And I frankly believe that the MORE informed individuals that vote the better off we will be.  

Now, as it relates to judges, I personally find the practice of voting for them abhorrent.  But that is just me.  

2014-11-04 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Don't we have the same issue with out politicians? Voting down party lines or based on what a few people say (lobbyist)? People who need to be most informed on the issues are not always very informed.

2014-11-04 6:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I see the Republicans gaining the Senate, but not by much. 

Then, for the next two years they get to actually LEGISLATE.  They get to debate and vote on bills that they hope will shape the direction of the country.  And two yrs from now, they'll be held responsible for those votes; They'll be no more hiding behind the president or the party in the majority.   If, as American's, we like what we see; a social-economic-environmental future that we can all live with, then perhaps the (Far Right) Conservative movement will survive....however.....

BTW:  Esquire Magazine, Nov. issue has a FABULOUS article about what CONGRESS thinks is wrong with Congress.  They mostly all agree on the same obstacles to actual governing;  Money, Gerrymandered voting districts and Ted Cruz. 

Edited by jeffnboise 2014-11-04 6:16 PM
2014-11-05 1:07 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Then, for the next two years they get to actually LEGISLATE.  They get to debate and vote on bills that they hope will shape the direction of the country.  And two yrs from now, they'll be held responsible for those votes; They'll be no more hiding behind the president or the party in the majority.   If, as American's, we like what we see; a social-economic-environmental future that we can all live with, then perhaps the (Far Right) Conservative movement will survive....however.....

BTW:  Esquire Magazine, Nov. issue has a FABULOUS article about what CONGRESS thinks is wrong with Congress.  They mostly all agree on the same obstacles to actual governing;  Money, Gerrymandered voting districts and Ted Cruz. 

Agree 100%. Be careful what you wish for, GOP. They wanted this election to be a referendum on Obama's policies, and I guess it was. But, now the GOP is in a position where they're going to be expected to actually DO something, as opposed to merely opposing things. They won't be able to blame politcal inaction on the Democrats or the president-- it'll be on them.
2014-11-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

Agree 100%. Be careful what you wish for, GOP. They wanted this election to be a referendum on Obama's policies, and I guess it was. But, now the GOP is in a position where they're going to be expected to actually DO something, as opposed to merely opposing things. They won't be able to blame politcal inaction on the Democrats or the president-- it'll be on them.

Not necessarily......the best thing they can do is pass a bunch of bills they know Obama will veto.....who will it be on then?

2014-11-05 2:41 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Left Brain

Not necessarily......the best thing they can do is pass a bunch of bills they know Obama will veto.....who will it be on then?

Really, THAT'S the BEST they can do?  Both parties can just continue the cycle of obstruct, deny, deflect while NOTHING gets done? 

I don't think I'm being a PollyAnna, but I hope for better things than that.

2014-11-05 2:47 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

Really, THAT'S the BEST they can do?  Both parties can just continue the cycle of obstruct, deny, deflect while NOTHING gets done? 

Oh, I agree....poor choice of words on my part. 

But let's be serious about this.....Obama's presidency has been a disaster.  I don't know how history won't view him and his administration as the biggest bunch of buffoons in the history of that office.....and I'll agree, he had to pass some pretty stiff competition on both sides of the isle to win that race.

2014-11-05 3:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion

But let's be serious about this.....Obama's presidency has been a disaster.  I don't know how history won't view him and his administration as the biggest bunch of buffoons in the history of that office.....and I'll agree, he had to pass some pretty stiff competition on both sides of the isle to win that race.

Based on opinion or based on quantitative data?

Based on polls, you might be right.  Based on actual quantitative data on what has gotten better v what has gotten worse, THAT might not be so easy to prove and state categorically.

2014-11-05 3:25 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

New user

I think over 300 bills passed in the house and sitting on Harry Reid's desk never seeing the light of day, the definition of inaction.

2014-11-05 3:38 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by NXS

I think over 300 bills passed in the house and sitting on Harry Reid's desk never seeing the light of day, the definition of inaction.

STOP.  That statement is as FOX-newsish as they come.  Almost 50 bills to repeal Affordable Care Act and over 200 to authorize Commemorative Coins.  Don't plan that crap all on Harry Reid.  There's plemty of blame, both Red AND Blue, to go around. 

2014-11-05 3:41 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Interesting article about the 300 bills left in the washington post.

"In 11 of the past 19 Congresses -- more than half -- more than 300 bills were waiting for Senate action by the time the Congress completed its work."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/08/08/yes-the-s...

2014-11-05 4:24 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

Based on polls, you might be right.  Based on actual quantitative data on what has gotten better v what has gotten worse, THAT might not be so easy to prove and state categorically.

I actually had this exact conversation with a friend this morning.
I outlined a multitude of quantitative data which indicated Obama's tenure had been a success (especially when viewed from the lens of the rotting corpse he inherited from Bush), while the only rebuttal I received was Fox&Friends-esque sound bites.

I soon realized that people really don't care about facts.

A major flaw of the two-party system is the "Us vs Them", win at all cost, mentality of the general (aka uneducated) population.

2014-11-05 8:54 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

Expert
Originally posted by Brit Abroad

I outlined a multitude of quantitative data which indicated Obama's tenure had been a success (especially when viewed from the lens of the rotting corpse he inherited from Bush), while the only rebuttal I received was Fox&Friends-esque sound bites.

A major flaw of the two-party system is the "Us vs Them", win at all cost, mentality of the general (aka uneducated) population.

This is a classic! I just can't understand how your friend could miss your point. LOL!

2014-11-06 10:25 AM

User image

Champion

Just to continue.  Voter turnout was crazy low in some states.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/preliminary-turnout-numbers-are-way-down-from-2010-and-2012/ 

2014-11-06 10:55 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Oh, come on......this administration is as ham handed as can be possible to still be taken seriously.  From the Obamacare rollout debacle, through the IRS scandal of "losing" records, to the handling of the ISIS ramp up, to dealing with Putin, to the DHS phone snooping, to the Secret Service meltdown and on and on and on.  In fact, there seems to be no end to the dumbness from these clowns.  I don't know how anyone could take anything that comes out of the WH seriously.......and Holder? ...my god, this guy is one of the biggest numbskulls to ever hold the AG office.

I don't watch TV, I don't look at Fox news........I just sit and laugh.   I don't have an "us vs. them" attitude.......I'll vote either party.  But geez......I can't believe how many people bought into this President.  I'm stunned at how this administration just rolls along......clueless.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Election 2014 Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

CPAC 2014 Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 6302 Posts: 104

2014-11-04 6:18 PM jeffnboise

I figured out who I'm supporting for the 2016 election

Started by tuwood
Views: 1601 Posts: 5

2013-10-20 8:33 AM strykergt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2004
author : infosteward
comments : 0
Buried beneath election rhetoric about stem-cell research, gender in marriage and taxes are issues that could seriously affect your newfound hobby – triathlons.