General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Ed's Cage Diet - lost 13lbs so far Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-27 11:49 AM

Subject: Trainer Ed's Cage Diet - lost 13lbs so far
The back story: So, I'm feeling stronger after working out for months with Ed the trainer. I tell him, I am not losing weight and I am sticking fairly close to his diet plan for me. He says BULL! He says if I was on the diet, I would loose the weight. Then he says "If I could only lock you in a cage, and feed you the correct diet, you would be guaranteed to loose the weight". So, I realize that my little cheats here and there were adding up to Big Sugars, Big Carbs, and a Big Miss on my weight goals.

So, after years and years of working out hard and not loosing weight, I'm finally dropping the pounds. I'm now 49 years old. Here is how I did it.

1st Step was to kick ALL addictions. In my case it was sugar snacks, and alcohol. I went 2 weeks without eating any candy or drinking any alcohol. I didn't loose a single pound as I was working out harder and harder, but I did set up my body and mind for the proper diet. Kick your addition for 2 weeks, then go to the next step.

2nd Step was to make sure my head and emotions were right. I didn't start the cage diet until I knew I wouldn't be traveling at work or otherwise have too much stress. When you have 2 stress free weeks, go to the next step.

3rd Step was to actually go on the diet - which works exactly like this. Note; Ed the Trainer says this is a short term fix, which MAY lead to a healthy living diet. But, he cautioned this is a weight loss diet, and it is not healthy long term. So, I say fair enough.

In the Cage (so to speak) means 100% no cheating for 2 weeks. I lost 13lbs while training and gaining muscle. Here is what I ate, exactly:

The Daily routine for 2 weeks only:

Water: 120 oz minimum per day. That is like 10 bottles a day (twice my normal).

Supplements: 1000mg CLA and 1,000mg Omega 3 fish oil - taken with every meal (which is 5 times a day)

Meals: 5 Times Per Day. 5 oz Protein (Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, Fish, or Eggs) at every meal with all the salad I care to eat. Lots and lots of salad with tomatoes / celery / no Onions / no cheese. The ONLY acceptable dressing is Lemon or Balsamic Vinegar. (3) whole unsalted Almonds with each of the 5 meals. 1/2 cup of Asparagus with last meal of the day (which is a natural diuretic).

Habits: I make each day's meals in the morning and put it in Tupperware and bring to the office.

Carbs: Only on your 2 hardest training days each weak. (Tues and Thurs for me). Then, 1/4 cup Oatmeal for Breakfast and 1/2 Yam for lunch - Only on 2 days per Week!!

DONT Eat the Carbs until AFTER your morning work out. (I usually have the 3 almonds before workout).

If you took care of Step 1 and Step 2, and you locked yourself in a cage or was super-discipline on the Step 3 diet, you will loose 1 -2 lbs per day every day. Guaranteed. You will not be hunger or thirsty on this diet! In fact, you will get tired of eating all this food.

I started at 250lbs. Raced 2 weeks ago at 232. My next race is Key West Triathlon Sprint in Dec where I will be 220lbs Clydesdale.

I hope this information has been helpful as it helped me finally, finally, finally loose the weight I needed to train healthier.

Matt

2014-11-03 10:04 AM
in reply to: matttheboatman

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Trainer Ed's Cage Diet - lost 13lbs so far

I am looking at a very similar plan-- a friend did this earlier this year and got so ripped!  It will take some planning, yes, and trying hard to avoid sugar and alcohol, my downfalls.  Glad to see you are getting good results, though!

2014-11-17 9:42 AM
in reply to: Medusa_Ann

Subject: RE: Trainer Ed's Cage Diet - lost 13lbs so far
It is my goal to lose 30 pounds before the first indoor triathlon in late February or March here in the Northwest. I don't know if I will fall below the Clyde's status, but I will be close. I am down 14 pounds since October with a couple of days of indulging with friends. I am in the same boat where sugar and alcohol are my weaknesses. Especially Spanish Coffee during the cold spells.

VT
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Ed's Cage Diet - lost 13lbs so far Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Diet Bet

Started by ajusf16
Views: 1019 Posts: 8

2014-04-23 4:21 PM melbo55

My wife lost 97 lbs with triathlon... I lost 50...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 969 Posts: 4

2012-05-18 4:20 PM TheClaaaw

Amino acids for dieting

Started by TEST DUMMY
Views: 2030 Posts: 6

2013-01-25 11:25 AM AzTriDoc

training -diet -recovery

Started by [email protected]
Views: 1311 Posts: 5

2009-03-01 4:05 PM MrSolis

Got to Lose 100 lbs. - Starting Jan 1. - I bet I can lose faster :) Pages: 1 2

Started by WaterDawg
Views: 4509 Posts: 35

2009-04-08 5:25 PM sleeping_butterflies
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.
date : February 5, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 3
So what is the best way to lose weight quickly? Do you simply "starve yourself” by eating as little as possible? The answer depends on your long-term goals.