General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Texas! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-27 12:43 PM

User image

Subject: Hello from Texas!
Hello! I'm new to this whole thing. I've tried exercising (walking and biking) before but I haven't been good about sticking with it long enough to see results. But now some of my goals and motivations have changed so I'm going to try again. I've always thought triathletes seemed cool (run, bike, AND swim?! They can do everything!) so I've decided to try working towards that myself. I'm 22 and 50+ pounds overweight, so I know it will take a lot of work, but better now than later, right?
The real problem is...I can't swim and don't have access to a pool or lessons. But I don't really want to put off starting until that comes along. The beginner exercise programs look really good, but does it work to replace the swimming with biking or running? Also, I can only bike outside and on dirt (the roads here are NOT safe). I would really appreciate some advice!

2014-10-27 2:04 PM
in reply to: gekkounonetsu

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Hello from Texas!

Welcome.  It is a good idea to start building a base in running and cycling even though you don't have access for swimming yet.  My best advice would be to pick a plan that starts at your fitness level and stay committed to it.  Commitment goes farther than motivation - it's commitment that gets me out of be at 4:30 to run when I'm motivated to go back to sleep.  There is nothing wrong with starting slow and starting with walk breaks.  If you have to walk a minute for every 2 minutes of running, fine.  A starting point is just that - your endurance will improve gradually and you are less likely to get injured.  It might help to pick intermediate goals  - 5k fun run, organized, supported bike ride, etc.

I wouldn't replace swimming with running or cycling because that is probably a recipe for injury.  Instead, replace the swimming time with some core exercises and exercises designed to build the muscles used for good running and cycling form.  If you watch your intake, you should drop some unnecessary weight during your running and cycling.

Good luck.  I wish I would have started when I was 22.

2014-10-27 3:15 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Thank you for the advice and encouragement. Commitment is something I'm still learning, but I know it will pay off.
And thanks for the advice about the exercises instead of swimming - injury is something I'd rather not deal with.
2014-11-21 10:28 AM
in reply to: #5063205

User image

Go you for starting! Where in Texas are you based? I'm in Houston and would be happy to give recommendations of places etc and help you out!
2014-11-22 6:13 PM
in reply to: journeytoironwoman

User image

I just started my Tri journey last summer! You will lose weight and get in shape for sure. I agree with the above post about building base. Doesn't matter how fast you go just get the distance in. I did the couch to sprint program and it was good. With no access to swimming at the moment, substitute yoga. It helps with core strength, arm strength, and breathing. You can also do high rep strenght training working the muscles for swimming.

I'm in Dallas area. Welcome to BT!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Texas! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello from Texas!

Started by mssgt
Views: 1112 Posts: 17

2007-06-05 11:13 AM CoachH

Hello from Texas

Started by rjbostick
Views: 562 Posts: 8

2006-06-11 9:04 PM jpb0009

Hello from Texas!

Started by stonefingermd
Views: 705 Posts: 3

2005-05-16 12:05 PM Ron

Hello from Texas

Started by scittkit
Views: 846 Posts: 12

2005-03-09 11:37 AM textridave

Hello from Texas

Started by Ozmokis
Views: 999 Posts: 15

2005-01-18 10:52 AM Ozmokis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2014
author : glyssellee
comments : 10
My race report is different. My motivating factors go back seven years. I have lived in denial for seven years. Depression. I registered for Ironman Texas even though I felt like a complete failure.

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : September 15, 2004
author : tboepple
comments : 0
Women / Masters / Special Needs - Lauren Maule, Diane Proud, Tom Rodgers
date : September 3, 2004
Joe Friel - Periodization

Joe Friel, Bike Technique & Training (Physiology)
Aero Positioning on the Bike – John Cobb

Details on the first Texas Triathlon Camp with Tom Rodgers, Joe Friel, John cobb, Lauren Maule and Andre Rizo.