General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 35m 27s
Overall Rank = 18/985
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/93
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 AM and took my time getting out of bed. I was at the Blockade Runner, which is about a mile from T1, so no real rush.
Event warmup:

About 15 minutes before the start, I got in the water and warmed up. Chilly at first, but fine after the first dip.
Swim
  • 28m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pushed the swim harder than I normally do. The goal was to increase cadence and try to get through quicker. Slowly improving overall and age group placement.

Goggles are tinted and they were perfect. The sun rises to your right.

I've been watching too many OCEARCH updates about Mary Lee and the other fish in the area and caught myself thinking about what I'd do if I saw one of our 2000+ lbs. buddies joining us for the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Draft more...I kept coming up on ppl, trying to draft, then passing them before I could really benefit.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

WORST T1 EVER.

I sprinted out of the water and ran so hard that I was breathing HARD at T1. I was determined to have a top T1.

When I got to my bike, I tried putting on my dry tri top on a wet body...Nope. Had to try again. Then, I put on sunglasses and grabbed my helmet....and RIPPED OFF the clip! I accidentally flung it into the grass.

It took me at least a minute to find the small, black clip in the grass and another full minute to thread it through the strap. My hands were kind of cold and I fumbled around with it, growing more and more impatient.

After I finally secured the clip, put it on and rushed out. I lost a little over 2 mins to my tri top and helmet.

FAAAAAAAQQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exited T1, jumped on bike, and took off.

This is the year of bad luck. Every.Single.Race.In.2014.
Bike
  • 2h 29m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Best bike I've had at the half distance. The start was really bad, though. New wheels, which are too wide for the brake calipers I'm using, so my front wheel CHIRPED throughout the race...LOUD. I had to adjust, then readjust, and adjust again.

The first mile was slow. A few corners, and the roads were wet. There are also these plastic speed bumps that jar the crap out of your bike (if you go over them).

After the first mile, freedom! I settled in and rode a little above my comfort level. There was some mild wind, but nothing like the past 2 B2Bs that I had raced. I fully expected some gusts or strong winds here and there. There was a head wind for a ways, then a tail wind for a ways, but nothing too bad.

At mile 35, or so, bike peloton came roaring by me. I was pissed. In fact, I let my emotions get the better of me and picked it up, passed them all, then recovered...right in front of the leader. I did this 2 or 3 times...Each time, they'd sit there for a second, then go around me, spitting me out the back. I finally let them go b/c my quads were burnt...cooked...toast. Bunch of cheaters...and based off calf ages, mostly in the 42-47 range.

Saw a buddy a little after and he talked about the peloton ahead. he then pulled off and I saw another guy get on his tail. I was starting to tire and fell back maybe 100 meters when I saw the race official come up behind them and give the drafter a penalty. At least SOME justice was served today.

I was hoping the officials would keep going and catch up to the peloton, but they did a U turn not long after and went the other way. I just looked at them as they turned around and watched them head back the way they came.

Rolled into town with Art ahead by about 10 seconds. That guy is a freakin' machine.

Keep emotions in check.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Came into the dismount kind of fast, but have done this sort of thing a bit. Everyone was yelling at me to slow down, but I just got close to the dismount, jumped off, and kept going. Heard a few shouts about my dismount and entered T2, handing off bike to volunteer. Thank you!

Ran to my bag, got everything, and exited T1 with Art.

Go sockless. Socks take too long. ;)
Run
  • 1h 31m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out a little faster than I had planned, but I felt good and wanted to make up a little time on Art.

As usual, saw Daryn at the hill around mile 1.8, or so. I think he loves to see us suffer as we run up! He's probably thinking, "Better you than me, sucker!" ;)

Only passed 3 guys in my AG for the whole run. I kept looking, but couldn't find a single other 35-39 AG. I just assumed they were too far ahead to catch.

At mile 7, the hard bike ride caught up to me and I slowed WAAAYYYY down. Quads were destroyed...cramping and threatening to lock up at any minute. I had to go into damage control. I started to drink nothing but Heed...as much as I could as fast as I could. The thought of UCAN, which was in my side pocket, repulsed me.

The slowdown started and I could barely keep an 8 min mile towards the end. I was dying. Art passed me at mile 11 or 12, but I could make him out in the crowd until closer to the run down towards the chute.

I finally crossed the line and smiled large for my family. I was glad to see them and happy to be done.

Slow it down at the start. Goal was to run 6:45, but I think I went out too hard and paid for it later. Ahhh, the competitive juices were a flowin' today!
Post race
Warm down:

Cooled down and hung out with family for a short time. Checked results and was surprised I was 2 in my AG. I did not expect that, at all.

It kind of stung when I saw that I went two minutes slower than the 1AG...the two minutes I lost in T1 b/c of my aero helmet...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It'll always be the swim.

Event comments:

Great race and they really try to bring in things for the family to enjoy while they wait. The location is unbeatable and downtown is really a neat place to be.

Last updated: 2014-10-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/93
Overall: 126/985
Performance: Average
High Tide: 9:24 The Half folks did not get the push that the Full triathletes did, but we still got a decent push. IMO, gained about 6-8 mins from the current.
Suit: XTerra Vortex Wetsuit
Course: Point to point through Banks Channel.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:29:19 | 56 miles | 22.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/93
Overall: 37/985
Performance: Good
http://www.strava.com/activities/211702440
Wind: Little
Course: "The bike course is totally flat with the only elevation change taking place when participants finish the bike course by crossing a bridge on the way into the second transition area located inside the newly constructed Wilmington Convention Center in downtown Wilmington." Kind of true...There are a few elevation changes on the course, but more like long, very gradual climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:31:05 | 13.1 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/93
Overall: 9/985
Performance: Average
http://www.strava.com/activities/211836401
Course: One loop out and back run course with tons of shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-27 12:50 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2014-10-27 1:00 PM
in reply to: #5063207

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon
What a great looking day! Being able to run like that is a righteous thing...

Totally with you on the pelotons..I had a bunch of 10 or so go past me followed by the marshal barely slowed down enough to shoot them a harsh glance. No penalties and didn't even break up the group. Oh well, can't let it distract from just how great the day was otherwise...

Nice job, mang. You're still getting stronger.
2014-10-27 4:05 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Ugh, those pelotons were terrible!

I played leapfrog with that same one a few times, same as you, but I let them go once we hit the first water station on the bike.  I had overtaken them going up that big bridge right before then, but once I got a water bottle, I slowed up to refill and get situated and they rolled right on by.  I had at least two more pelotons from later waves roll past me, as well.

It's sad that those all ended up being the podium spots and they got there by cheating, but it is what it is.  I do take a little solace in re-passing at least one of them that got dropped late in the bike ;-)

Nice job out there, and congrats on a fantastic run, and an all-around great day!!

2014-10-27 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
watching on that nasty hill has nothing to do with watching you suffer. I am getting so old I can't make people out in normal speed. I need you to be going a little slower so I can go OK here comes d00d.

Nice race, way to hang on at the end of the run. Few days rest and then on to a sub 2:50 at Tobacco Road??????
2014-10-28 5:57 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Camden, NC
Wow, great race! I didn't think people were that blatant about a peleton in this sport, pretty weak.
2014-10-28 6:37 AM

Roswell
I was passed by a pelaton of about 20 bikes just before I got back into town. A couple of minutes later a motorcycle came by and then sat at the back of the pack - hopefully handing out penalties.

2014-10-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: chrishatcher1138

User image

New user
Yeah, I know what you mean. I saw at least 2 pelatons on the course. Good bit of drafting penalties were given, but 4 minutes is probably a drop in the bucket for them.
2014-10-28 2:09 PM
in reply to: Tmanishere

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
to be honest, i didn't see a lot of blatant drafting, other than the peloton and the guy that got a penalty for drafting off my buddy. most ppl out there raced clean, falling back when overtaken and/or making clean passes. I'll also admit that i took a bit of satisfaction at passing most of those guys back on the run.

qrkid, definitely! i'm going to take this month fairly easy, then pick training back up in December.
2014-10-29 3:35 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Nice RR d00d. Transition nonsense sucks- pity about that because the footrace between you and the AG winner would have been fun, assuming those two mins put you right in his sights! Sh!!t happens in races! The peloton stuff is lame. Just ride your own race guys. I'd hate knowing that I got my bike split illegally! Thats just lame but I guess if it makes them happy, so be it. Karma will come a knockin' sometime!

Congrats on an awesome race! How did you like Blockade Runner over Holiday Inn?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by mdfahy
Views: 2064 Posts: 3

2011-11-07 1:36 PM RunRene

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1683 Posts: 1

2011-10-30 3:49 PM La Tortuga

Started by t-ray2
Views: 1417 Posts: 2

2010-11-30 11:27 AM kenbert61

Started by ceco911
Views: 2311 Posts: 1

2010-11-18 8:57 PM ceco911

Started by carterbarton1
Views: 1651 Posts: 2

2010-11-15 1:10 PM argylemonkey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.