General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Marathon advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-28 5:05 AM

Subject: First Marathon advice
Hey running my first marathon in about two weeks. I ran 18 about 3 weeks ago and a 13.1 a few days ago. I have some foot pain. Would I lose conditioning by cross training the bike until then so my foot feels good by then? I rode 70mi yesterday and am considering a 90 mi or a century before the race. possible pool running between? How does bt think I should go about these 2 weeks?

2014-10-28 6:11 AM
in reply to: eggplantOG

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: First Marathon advice
You are not going to lose conditioning for the marathon if you cannot run as long as you have already put in the appropriate training. This is taper time, so it is really just to keep your heart and legs working and not a building or conditioning phase. Step back and relax a bit and take care of your foot. Coincidentally, I am running a marathon is less than two weeks and also started having a foot (heel) paid problem this last weekend. After my initial freak, I realized that as long as I could overcome whatever the source of the pain is within the next two weeks, that cutting back a bit on my distance or intensity and replacing a run with a good swim, was not going to negatively effect my engine one bit. Good luck
2014-10-28 6:41 AM

User image

New user
Match your running intensity when you are spinning on bike. You won't lose much condition in 2 weeks, but bike will help you maintain your cardio. If you can manage to run short miles (talking 3 miles or so) to get your running muscles awake few days before a race, that would probably give you a little mental confidence boost.
2014-10-28 11:03 AM
in reply to: #5063367

Thanks guys I've also seen my biggest gains following periods of biking. What's your marathon? I'm doing madison
2014-10-28 1:08 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by topolina

I realized that as long as I could overcome whatever the source of the pain is within the next two weeks, that cutting back a bit on my distance or intensity and replacing a run with a good swim, was not going to negatively effect my engine one bit. Good luck

This is true. Just be sure that your biking isn't having any adverse effects on this injury. Without full details id say to be wary of your bike volume / intensity since you don't seem to know 100% what is causing your pain.

I understand the desire to "maintain cardio fitness" during this time - just make sure whatever you are doing isn't making you worse or delaying your recovery at all. Besides it sounds like you are or should be beginning a taper soon-your building period is over. The hard work has already been put in. Heal. Any pain now will be exponentially amplified in the late miles of your race.

Make it to the start line healthy.
2014-10-28 4:11 PM

New user
Key West
Originally posted by eggplantOG

Thanks guys I've also seen my biggest gains following periods of biking. What's your marathon? I'm doing madison

Rock 'n' Roll Savannah. I am trying to BQ so this heel thing did mess with my head, but we shall see. Good luck again.

2014-10-28 8:02 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Don't pants your poop

And don't go out to fast
2014-10-28 8:48 PM

Dull or sharp pain? If it's me, and it's dull, I'd keep running while backing off the intensity. If it's sharp, I'd be a bit worried, take a couple days off, ice it, then try to run on it and see where I'm at. If its still bad, I'd go to the doctor.

I'm going to disagree with others. If I take a full three weeks off running prior to a race, I would lose run fitness, much more than I'd be willing to give up without a fight. Biking does not replace running and will not help you maintain run fitness.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Marathon advice Rss Feed