General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Marine Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-28 6:52 AM

User image

Dulles , Virginia
Subject: Marine Triathlete
Good Morning Ladies and Gents,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Dakota and I am a Marine. I have always loved endurance sports but never competed. I swam 3 years Varsity for my high school and have ran a few half marathons. I never really got into biking though. I have always wanted to complete an Ironman and triathlons in general. I am looking to get started in this sport. To me, I have always lifted weights and done many of calisthenics exercises. I am a personal trainer too. I think its time to look at something new since I'm completely burnt out on weightlifting, I am not even motivated to do nothing but weights. I have recently been looking in my area for bikes. I am unsure what my necessities for a beginner are when buying a bike. Obviously a bike, helmet and shoes. But what other things do you all recommend. I will continue to scrub the forums for answers. Right now I am looking at a Bianchi Via Nirone 7, but have recently found package deals online at sites like Nytro.com and TriSports.com... Anyone have input on this??

Anyways enough about that, I look forward to chatting with you people on all things TRI.

Stay motivated, keep kickin' and takin' names,

Dakota

2014-10-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: smithdakotad

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Marine Triathlete

Welcome, Dakota!  You'll find that the tri community is pretty cool and very accepting of newbies.  Keep checking out the various forums here, especially Tri Talk and Gear Questions and use the "search" function.  You'll find answers to most all of your questions.  Even if you find a lot of "it depends," you'll at least get a variety of perspectives.

I also suggest that you check out Team RWB.  It's for active and retired military as well as civilians who support the goals of the organization.  There are chapters all over the country and as you'll see, there's a group here too.  I just joined (I'm a civilian) but from what I can tell, the organization is pretty active and not just in the tri arena.  In my area, they do hikes, ski trips, weekly workouts, and all kinds of social events.

Best of luck with your tri endeavors and don't forget to have fun!

2014-11-11 12:48 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

I got nothing for you as far as advice for a bike.  I just wanted to tell you thank you for your service to our country, Dakota and welcome to BT.  

2014-11-12 11:16 AM

User image

hi Dakota

I did one of those packages for my first tri-bike - it was through my LBS for the same price as you see roughly for the nytro package - I ended up with a Cervelo P1 - along with shoes, wetsuit and pedals - for me it was a good deal at the time - that being said, looking back now - I wish I had gone with separate components - so I could pick and choose what I wanted - because I was limited to what the store carried/what brands were part of the package - I think you could probably work out a better deal separately if you look out for sales etc

come over and join at in Team RWB - we have a good triathlon representation - are also on FB (there is a Team RWB triathlon page, as well as local chapter pages)

dee
2014-12-01 8:36 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Dulles , Virginia
Thanks for the welcoming everyone,

Just picked up my bike this week. Scott Speedster 40, Giro Prolight shoes, Scott Helmet, and some other awesome items. Then I went on a ride, flat tire 15 mins into my training session!!!!!!

-Dakota
2014-12-01 4:58 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Welcome to one of the "joys" of cycling. 

Hopefully you were either close enough to home to walk your bike back, got rescued by a kind-hearted passerby, or had a way to replace/repair the tube.  Now that you've gotten that out of the way, all you need to do is tip over while clipped in and you'll be all set.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Marine Triathlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Former Marine to Couch Potato to Newbie Triathlete

Started by JarheadUSMC
Views: 1699 Posts: 10

2011-09-17 8:11 AM JarheadUSMC

Another Marine Newbie

Started by upperninty17
Views: 775 Posts: 4

2007-07-18 9:09 AM Ron

marine newbie

Started by jrdaley
Views: 827 Posts: 10

2007-07-17 2:46 PM globalchaos

6'3" 260 lb former U.S. Marine....trying to turn life around

Started by vqman
Views: 1573 Posts: 18

2007-06-20 3:46 AM vqman

Motivated Marine

Started by FIN16
Views: 966 Posts: 11

2004-07-23 11:35 AM rrog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.

date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.
date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success

date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : January 20, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Information for training as a pregnant triathlete including physiological changes, nutritional and environmental concerns plus certain risks to avoid.
date : November 1, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
From a cycling background to triathlete. A podcast with one of the first BT members about how triathlons allow him that daily satisfaction.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Browe79
This man’s story was so inspiring that my brother and I committed to doing an Ironman by the time we turned thirty.