General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shirts are tight! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-28 12:54 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: Tri shirts are tight!
Well folks, just sharing my experience. I went to a local sports store in my area and tried on my first triathlon singlet in lieu of my running singlet that I used for my triathlon earlier this year. I tried on a Medium (that's all they had) and it was fun putting on. It was not too difficult to put on and once there it felt okay. On the other hand, it felt like I was going into one of those Chinese finger traps (i.e. you can get in it but not out, Ha!). Needless to say, I checked the website sizing chart and I landed smack in the middle on most measurements. I know I've heard they are supposed to be snug but I guess there is a whole new level of compression fitting I was unaware of until now! :D

2014-10-28 1:29 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Tri shirts are tight!
LOL! very tight indeed.

I would add that unless you are shaped like a teenager, you have to put your pride aside when wearing those!

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-10-28 1:29 PM
2014-10-28 5:19 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I train in a size medium but race in a size small. I want it to be really tight with no wrinkles or flapping fabric on race day. There is very little modesty in triathlon.

When you put the top on (assuming it has a zipper), step in to it at pull it up over your hips and then on to your shoulders instead of pulling it over your head. Take it off the same way, pulling it down over your hips and stepping out of it. It should be somewhat easier that way.
2014-10-29 3:39 AM

User image

Wait until you swim in one before you have an opinion on how tight they should be

2014-10-30 1:35 AM
in reply to: #5063488

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. I'm excited to swim in it to see what it's like but yeah my only previous experience with compression clothing was my winter running items so this is a whole new level of squeeze! Good thing my wife goes to my races, otherwise I'll have to ask a fellow racer to help get this puppy off!
2014-10-31 3:45 AM

I had exactly the same feeling when I first put on my trisuit

when training, I put over a bikeshirt or runshirt, but I do like wearing it as the compression feeling gives me the impression I have more support for my core and leg muscles.

but, yes, "snug" gets to a whole new level

2014-10-31 10:26 AM
in reply to: pnobels

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Tri tops are tight and I have learned to embrace that, but some can also be too short.  I'm 6'4" and the first team tri top I received appeared to fit, albeit snugly.  I decided to try it out on an early morning run and good thing I did.  50 yards from the house and the top rode up to where it looked like a tube top.  Not a flattering sight.  I have since determined which brands fit best - DeSoto actually has a line in which they add an inch or so in length to the front and 2 inches in the back.

If you have the ability, you should try on different brands because they don't all fit the same.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shirts are tight! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need a New Tri Shirt Rec. Tight but not too tight...

Started by Nhmountainman
Views: 831 Posts: 2

2013-06-24 8:02 PM gsmacleod

How tight is 'tight' ?

Started by 1ejp
Views: 2582 Posts: 15

2011-04-20 5:46 PM willknip

How tight is too tight?

Started by Du To Tri
Views: 2314 Posts: 12

2010-12-10 5:16 PM ell-in-or

How tight is too tight

Started by MrSolis
Views: 2128 Posts: 18

2008-06-02 9:47 AM dlb3830

surf shirts/tri shirts

Started by ASA22
Views: 915 Posts: 9

2005-05-17 1:57 PM Super_Rob
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.

date : January 5, 2009
author : AMSSM
When I was only a runner, I didn't have this issue. But now, going into my third year as a triathlete, my calves and occasionally my Achilles are tight and painful throughout most of my mileage.
date : October 15, 2008
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 6, 2008
Often pain occurs with the first steps of the day or at the beginning of a run when that tight fascia gets stretched and microtears occur. But pain can also develop with prolonged standing and worsen.

date : January 2, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on sprint swim overdistance training, strength training, recovery after a marathon, core work importance, tight calves with new running gait and importance of a tri bike for an Ironman.