General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm doing WHAT!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-28 1:37 PM

Subject: I'm doing WHAT!!!!
Hey everyone, just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. My name is Pete, and I'm a 42 year old recovering couch potato who lives in North Carolina with an incredible woman who was crazy enough to marry me!

Until Sept 1 of this year I was a pack and a half a day smoker, whose opinion of exercise was "are you nuts???". I finally managed to quit smoking after more failed "attempts" than I care to ever admit and suddenly started to feel more energized. I could actually breath and do things without feeling like I was going to pass out! It was pretty incredible. So I started slowly doing a few things like walking... which lead to a little jogging. We have a workout room in our apartment complex that I actually went in and messed around with for a little while. Turns out I really liked the stationary bike and didn't even hate the treadmill. For me these were serious revalations (did I mention I was a hard core couch potato?).

Well, over the next couple of weeks one thing leads to another and I find (amazingly!) that I'm enjoying working out a bit. I knew I needed to get healthier, but truly one less Double with Cheese, no tomatoe, no onion with a large fry and large Frosty from my favoriate fast food joint a week would be healthier. What I really needed was something to take my addictive personality (smoking for 30 years is just the tip of the iceburg!) and put it to some good use for a change. That's when I started thinking about Tri's. I mean what's more insane than this, right? But I knew if I could find something to really dive into that would make me get healthier, but if I just left it as something vague than I'd be back on the couch in no time!

So with that, I'm on board with training! I picked up my new Trek road bike (2015 Domane 2.1) and am working out as much as I can. Even got a membership at the Y which is 2 blocks from my office. For people who know me these are all things that make them go "You? Really? OKKKKKKKK".

I'm looking forward to hanging around the site and hopefully getting to know some of you. Looks like some of you in the NC area are planning on participating in some of the same events I am, so I may even get to meet some of you down the road!

2014-10-28 10:04 PM
in reply to: #5063514

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: I'm doing WHAT!!!!
Welcome! Working out, getting in shape, and feeling better is a great reason to jump into triathlon. NC is a great place for triathlon. Lots of good races here in the state. What part of the state are you in? Lots of NC folks here on BT. Let us know how we can help you meet your goals.
2014-10-29 2:54 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I love stories like that (and I would like to see the look on your friends' faces when you tell them)

Better to be addicted to triathlons than to cigarettes! May not be cheaper (the money you save on cigs (and some more) will go on tri gear) but it's much healthier!

welcome to this beautiful site (I am not ones of the most active members but I love it!)

2014-10-29 3:10 AM
in reply to: Nick B

Thanks Nick! I live in Salisbury and work in Charlotte. Any suggestions/tips are more than welcome!
2014-10-29 3:12 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

Originally posted by Rollergirl

I love stories like that (and I would like to see the look on your friends' faces when you tell them)

Better to be addicted to triathlons than to cigarettes! May not be cheaper (the money you save on cigs (and some more) will go on tri gear) but it's much healthier!

welcome to this beautiful site (I am not ones of the most active members but I love it!)

Yeah, some of my friends are convinced I've lost my mind but that's ok. Just gives me some added motivation! Thanks for the welcome
2014-10-29 9:58 AM
in reply to: pgorman

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome aboard!  

You might find a few races in Mooresville.  I'm in Fayetteville myself.  

Get involved in the local club (Charlotte or Greensboro).  It's easier to keep up the lifestyle when you share it with others.  

We're coming into the "off season" but that doesn't mean "nothing season" only that we aren't racing as much.  You'll find 5K's all winter long, and you might consider some trail running (it's a different mindset and great change of pace).  

2014-10-30 3:16 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Thanks! I've been searching for a club in Charlotte or Salisbury and have found a few. I think I should wait until I'm in a bit better shape though. Right now I'd just be a drag on a group workout! It's coming along a lot faster than I expected, but there's such a LONG way to go yet!
2014-10-30 9:52 AM
in reply to: pgorman

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by pgorman Thanks! I've been searching for a club in Charlotte or Salisbury and have found a few. I think I should wait until I'm in a bit better shape though. Right now I'd just be a drag on a group workout! It's coming along a lot faster than I expected, but there's such a LONG way to go yet!

Joining a local tri-club is about being friendly, not fast!  If "fast" were a prerequisite, I wouldn't be able to join either.  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm doing WHAT!!!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm doing this for me!

Started by gilliankay
Views: 1490 Posts: 12

2008-04-15 8:18 PM gilliankay

I'm doing my first tri tomorrow June 3rd

Started by Kidblue
Views: 734 Posts: 5

2007-06-05 12:15 PM Kidblue

I'm Doing This!

Started by iugirl
Views: 659 Posts: 7

2007-05-10 11:44 PM calitriguy

i can't believe i'm doing this!

Started by sjfink
Views: 695 Posts: 9

2006-03-27 12:43 PM tupuppy

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING

Started by mommy22boys
Views: 1149 Posts: 6

2005-01-11 8:35 AM c2fd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2014
author : sahm3k
comments : 4
As I entered the transition area, I got body marked. It was, for me, pretty intense. It made it so real...I was doing this! A triathlon!

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"