General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower leg pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-28 8:38 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Lower leg pain
I went on a trail run about three weeks ago, and ever since, the side of my lower leg hurts. It is as if you were to draw a line from my outer knee down to my ankle, it is right along there, with the worst pain being in the middle. It's not a shin splint, this seems different, and I've never had this before in 5+ years of endurance sports. Any clue what this is and how to make it go away?

2014-10-28 8:52 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Subject: RE: Lower leg pain
I have a varicose vein and that's where my leg hurts. Compression socks/sleeves help. Sleeping with your feet elevated also.
2014-10-29 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I've had problems with the muscle running down the outside of my leg tightening up. I think it is called peroneus longus. If that is what it is I usually stop running for several days and do a lot of foam rolling.
2014-10-29 7:35 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by EKH I've had problems with the muscle running down the outside of my leg tightening up. I think it is called peroneus longus. If that is what it is I usually stop running for several days and do a lot of foam rolling.

Been sidelined from running for the past six months due to this, and it's very bothersome to cycling, as well.  Pretty much has me thinking I'm done with triathlon.  There's no way to stretch this sucker that I can figure out.  Yeah, I can massage it to a point, but even that is pretty limited.

2014-10-29 9:09 PM

User image

Just based on your description, it sounds like a peroneus longus issue. Rest, ice and Ibuprofen are your best bet. If this ends up being a recurrent problem, I'd highly suggest a couple visits to a good physical therapist. Most likely causes are either you ran on the side of a grade for an extended period of time or twisted the ankle. Hope you recover quickly!
2014-10-29 9:32 PM
in reply to: #5063616

naperville, Illinois
i get that too - compression tights, not socks, the full tights to help blood flow is my go to

2014-10-30 6:10 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by SevenZulu

Originally posted by EKH I've had problems with the muscle running down the outside of my leg tightening up. I think it is called peroneus longus. If that is what it is I usually stop running for several days and do a lot of foam rolling.

Been sidelined from running for the past six months due to this, and it's very bothersome to cycling, as well.  Pretty much has me thinking I'm done with triathlon.  There's no way to stretch this sucker that I can figure out.  Yeah, I can massage it to a point, but even that is pretty limited.

I've stopped having this problem since switching my running shoes to Hoka's (knock on wood). Not sure if the Hoka's were the fix just saying.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower leg pain Rss Feed