BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-10-29 12:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Re: coaching

Mary - it sounds like the 'new' coaching/training option you are presented with is more established with many existing clients.  I'd say give it a try.  Are you able to pick how long you want the services, or are you locked into a set term?  If not locked in, you could easily back out if things aren't going the way you hoped and not be out of a bunch of $$.

Monica - your statement sounds exactly like my way of thinking up until about month or two ago.  What changed my mind?  Numerous things: 1) Signing up for a 70.3 and not being sure I'd ever be doing another, so wanting to 'do it right' this time.  2) Having generally been winging it through the past 5 years of triathlon without having set plans most of the time and somehow getting a little faster along the way in spite of myself.  3) Wanting to know whay my potential really is, and feeling that some structure, organization and feedback will get me there.  4) Being able to be flexible with the coach to pare down the cost to half of what my friends are paying, but of course at the 'cost' of getting less frequent workouts and such, but that's OK, I understand and accept that to keep the cost down.

Plus what Janyne said about scheduling/timing of events.  I'm definitely willy-nilly there.

Edited by melbo55 2014-10-29 12:51 PM

2014-10-29 12:48 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by amd723 I'm working from home as painters paint the interior of my house. Is it bad when you don't think you like the colors you picked?! I really should have spent more time deciding what I wanted

Uh oh.  We're getting the exterior of our house done next week.  Hopefully we like it!!

Haha, I'm sure once it's all done and I get used to it I'll like it. It's just soooo different from what I've had for the last few years!

We're having some troubles deciding what to do with the outside of the house!!  So far almost everything we've seen is just kind of brown and blah and just blends together.  It scares me that we might have "THAT" house on the block, but at the same time, I don't care!  I don't want a blah, boring house!  

My house just went from having kind of dark, rich colors on the wall to so light I wonder if there is any color in he paint at all! It looks way lighter the the samples! But, I have a small house, so lighter should make the rooms look larger. Of course, it also means I will have to clean them a lot more. Dirty Gunnar!!

there is a house along my running route that is pepto bismal pink. It looks swell, maybe you should follow that lead

I highly recommend anyone who makes a color change should shell out the few bucks and time to paint a square (like 2' x 2') and observe for a week or so. The color WILL change in different light levels/time of day. 

Color is subjective and YOU need to love it. 

I did that, still freaking me out!
2014-10-29 12:50 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by melbo55

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Ann-Marie - hmm, interesting conundrum you've got there with the paint situation...maybe the new colors will grow on you?

Salty - I tried to 'Quote'  to reply to you in the old thread, but it wouldn't let me.  Maybe it knew we had something new going on and was being fickle.  Anyway, in a nutshell my Nov/Dec base looks like this until we start for reals in Jan:

Swim - masters M, W, F

Bike - predominantly Sat & Sun.  Longer on no hockey days, easy 90 min spin at most on hockey days.  Try to get a trainer ride or spin class ride during the week.

Run - as often as possible, 4-6 days a week, 2-3 miles tops at around +1:30 of my 10K pace.

He's very excited that I have a few running races in Nov/Dec so he can gauge progress and also learn where I'm at in general.  The fact that he is excited about coming up with a plan for me makes me feel good and that he'll be a good fit.  My friends LT and JD used him this past year in his full capacity and had trememdously good results and were very pleased with him, so I'm not going into the 'relationship' completely blind.  I was nervous at first, since LT and JD are at the pointy end of the finishers and I am not, but LT assured me he enjoys getting someone like me to the finish line successfully almost more than coaching a fast person to be even faster.

This sounds fantastic!

I love the idea of emphasizing frequency right now with the running. I would even encourage you to make a 6-7 day a week goal, knowing that it might not always happen. 

I'm being lazy, but what are the distances of your upcoming running races?

Nov. 1 - 5K
Nov. 9 - 10K
Nov. 27 - 5K
Dec. 13 - 5 miler

I obviously haven't gotten the rundown of your goals or anything and, as I said, I am excited about the idea of frequency BUT I do question if you are set up best for success in your training runs all being under-distance. Variety is the spice of life, as they say

I wondered that, too.  Perhaps I will sneak in some longer runs here and there?

2014-10-29 12:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Ann-Marie - hmm, interesting conundrum you've got there with the paint situation...maybe the new colors will grow on you?

Salty - I tried to 'Quote'  to reply to you in the old thread, but it wouldn't let me.  Maybe it knew we had something new going on and was being fickle.  Anyway, in a nutshell my Nov/Dec base looks like this until we start for reals in Jan:

Swim - masters M, W, F

Bike - predominantly Sat & Sun.  Longer on no hockey days, easy 90 min spin at most on hockey days.  Try to get a trainer ride or spin class ride during the week.

Run - as often as possible, 4-6 days a week, 2-3 miles tops at around +1:30 of my 10K pace.

He's very excited that I have a few running races in Nov/Dec so he can gauge progress and also learn where I'm at in general.  The fact that he is excited about coming up with a plan for me makes me feel good and that he'll be a good fit.  My friends LT and JD used him this past year in his full capacity and had trememdously good results and were very pleased with him, so I'm not going into the 'relationship' completely blind.  I was nervous at first, since LT and JD are at the pointy end of the finishers and I am not, but LT assured me he enjoys getting someone like me to the finish line successfully almost more than coaching a fast person to be even faster.

This sounds fantastic!

I love the idea of emphasizing frequency right now with the running. I would even encourage you to make a 6-7 day a week goal, knowing that it might not always happen. 

Nov. 1 - 5K
Nov. 9 - 10K
Nov. 27 - 5K
Dec. 13 - 5 miler

I obviously haven't gotten the rundown of your goals or anything and, as I said, I am excited about the idea of frequency BUT I do question if you are set up best for success in your training runs all being under-distance. Variety is the spice of life, as they say

Don't sneak. Tell him that you want some longer runs to support your upcoming events.

2014-10-29 12:53 PM

User image

Seattle

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Swim - masters M, W, F

This sounds fantastic!

Nov. 1 - 5K
Nov. 9 - 10K
Nov. 27 - 5K
Dec. 13 - 5 miler

For the best results in the race, yes. But if your main goal is to build frequency and a longer run would get in the way of that (and the S and B) then maybe not.

Also yeah, what Janyne said...you probably don't want to start out your relationship with your coach with any sneaking.  

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-10-29 12:55 PM
2014-10-29 12:57 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723 I'm working from home as painters paint the interior of my house. Is it bad when you don't think you like the colors you picked?! I really should have spent more time deciding what I wanted

Uh oh.  We're getting the exterior of our house done next week.  Hopefully we like it!!

Haha, I'm sure once it's all done and I get used to it I'll like it. It's just soooo different from what I've had for the last few years!

We're having some troubles deciding what to do with the outside of the house!!  So far almost everything we've seen is just kind of brown and blah and just blends together.  It scares me that we might have "THAT" house on the block, but at the same time, I don't care!  I don't want a blah, boring house!  

You can do a lot with door colors and landscaping and stuff.  It won't be boring!  Tony is on board with the landscaping duties, right?

Agreed.  We're doing this combination:

2014-10-29 1:27 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Grrrrrrrrrr.........one day, Sunday, on the booze and I've list three days of running mojo. Can't handle these hangovers anymore, getting too old.
It's also resulted in me sat around with far too much time on my hands to allow me to buy a shiny new Wahoo Kickr. Oh well, hopefully it will help me get around IM Wales next September.
Back running tomorrow, it's cheaper
2014-10-29 1:56 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Grrrrrrrrrr.........one day, Sunday, on the booze and I've list three days of running mojo. Can't handle these hangovers anymore, getting too old. It's also resulted in me sat around with far too much time on my hands to allow me to buy a shiny new Wahoo Kickr. Oh well, hopefully it will help me get around IM Wales next September. Back running tomorrow, it's cheaper

lol! Right? Moderation or nothing for me. I don't allow myself to miss days of running because of too much fun and the alternative, running with a hangover, sucks bawls. 

2014-10-29 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

You can do a lot with door colors and landscaping and stuff.  It won't be boring!  Tony is on board with the landscaping duties, right?

Ummm... suuuuuure he is!  

2014-10-29 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Grrrrrrrrrr.........one day, Sunday, on the booze and I've list three days of running mojo. Can't handle these hangovers anymore, getting too old. It's also resulted in me sat around with far too much time on my hands to allow me to buy a shiny new Wahoo Kickr. Oh well, hopefully it will help me get around IM Wales next September. Back running tomorrow, it's cheaper

lol! Right? Moderation or nothing for me. I don't allow myself to miss days of running because of too much fun and the alternative, running with a hangover, sucks bawls. 

This is EXACTLY how I ended up pulling the trigger for IMTX on Friday night!!  

How I managed to refrain from also signing up for the New Orleans 70.3, I don't know. 

2014-10-29 2:09 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

How I managed to refrain from also signing up for the New Orleans 70.3, I don't know. 

Have another drink, c'mon, I dare ya!

2014-10-29 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Have another drink, c'mon, I dare ya!

You just stop it!!!  

Dammit, where the hell is my credit card so I can hide it from myself, which never works (mainly because I hid it, so of course I know where it is), and I'll just end up signing up for the race anyways.  

2014-10-29 2:15 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Swim - masters M, W, F

This sounds fantastic!

Nov. 1 - 5K
Nov. 9 - 10K
Nov. 27 - 5K
Dec. 13 - 5 miler

Don't sneak. Tell him that you want some longer runs to support your upcoming events.

I'm not sure he's going to be checking in with me much until we 'officially' start, but then again it's only been a week since we struck our deal for our arrangement.  I will stick with his plan and keep the runs short and slow.

2014-10-29 2:16 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I like that combo, should be pretty!

2014-10-29 2:18 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I like that combo, should be pretty!

Ooooh - I like it too, especially the colour for the doors!  

2014-10-29 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

FYI - if any of you are SUPER bored and feel like killing 4 minutes of your time, here's my Betty Designs application for next year - and yes, I know it's blurry because I have no tech savvy skillz and it wasn't blurry at all in the Movie Maker program I used.  Oh well, it's done!   

Betty 2015

Edited by blueyedbikergirl 2014-10-29 3:15 PM

2014-10-29 3:39 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

FYI - if any of you are SUPER bored and feel like killing 4 minutes of your time, here's my Betty Designs application for next year - and yes, I know it's blurry because I have no tech savvy skillz and it wasn't blurry at all in the Movie Maker program I used.  Oh well, it's done!   

Betty 2015

YAY!

Love you dancing your way across the finish line!
2014-10-29 4:24 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Betty 2015

YAY! Love you dancing your way across the finish line!

Thanks Randee!!!  

2014-10-29 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Betty 2015

That was great!  Do you need people to email Betty for you?

2014-10-29 5:06 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Betty 2015

Super fun!!  (BTW, there's a typo at about 2:50, "or...somehwere?")

2014-10-29 5:11 PM

Master
Northern IL

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Swim - masters M, W, F

This sounds fantastic!

Nov. 1 - 5K
Nov. 9 - 10K
Nov. 27 - 5K
Dec. 13 - 5 miler

For the best results in the race, yes. But if your main goal is to build frequency and a longer run would get in the way of that (and the S and B) then maybe not.

Also yeah, what Janyne said...you probably don't want to start out your relationship with your coach with any sneaking.  

Quick thoughts, but another no sneaking. That's a strong sign you don't trust the coach. Do, however, ask for rationale on this if you have questions. Does he know the specific races and distances? I don't necessarily see what he's doing right now as a problem since the races are 10k or less. I think he's trying to have you run shorter and more often so that you're running well when you do run. Not that you run them hard, but that you feel pretty good when running. It's certainly not to the level of swimming, but there is some skill involved with it that can be under appreciated. If you told him that your main goal is to run well at the 70.3, then I think he's setting up some good habits early for that longer term goal even though it'll be a little less than optimal leading into these shorter races coming right up. Talk to him to be sure.

2014-10-29 5:15 PM

Master
Northern IL

What, are you two going to completely hide yourselves from the neighborhood otherwise? 

2014-10-29 5:19 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks for the feedback about the coach.  The head coach just contacted me and said that I can get even more of a discount for individualized coaching because I'm  just doing a single sport.  He also recommended a technique analysis right up front because of my injury issues.  I can do the "basic" plan with no commitment so I'm really leaning toward doing that.  If I really like the coaching and feel like I'm getting a lot out of it, I can always continue into tri season and/or upgrade.  I knew I could count on you all to help me spend more money!

2014-10-30 6:43 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by brigby1

What, are you two going to completely hide yourselves from the neighborhood otherwise? 

SNERK!!!

Other than being the Funny Farm, my house in Bali is bright pink with red doors. Oh come on, they're almost burgundy ...

2014-10-30 6:51 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
What's the consensus on consecutive hard training sessions? What I mean is, if I'm going to have 3 quality running sessions per week with the other 3-4 days running easy, and I want to fit in 3 hard turbo sessions, am I better loading both hard sessions on the same day followed by an easy day/2 days of running?

Ie Mon am - Q run 1 (c. 140 TSS)
pm - turbo - sweet spot ( c.95 TSS)
Tues pm - easy run (80-85 TSS)
Wed - roughly the same as Mon.
Thurs - easy run ( 80-85 TSS)
Fri - am - easy run. (80-85 TSS)
pm - longer turbo session (200 ish TSS)building to 300 TSS.
Sat - Q3 run, LSD. ( 180-260 TSS)
Sun off/ easy run

Or would I be better alternating the hard run days with the hard turbo day?

ie.
Mon q1 run
Tues q1 bike. E run.
Wed q2 run.
Thur q2 bike. E run.
Fri q3 bike. E run.
Sat q3 run.
Sun off/E run.

I'm thinking it's better to load up 4, relatively hard days to ensure there are 3 days that are truly used to recover. My only concern is DOMS, where I'm going to be trying to do both quality sessions on the same day 2 days after the last hard sessions.

Any thoughts?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63017 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42392 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72769 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50460 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25718 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.