BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-10-30 7:12 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by Richardsdrr What's the consensus on consecutive hard training sessions? What I mean is, if I'm going to have 3 quality running sessions per week with the other 3-4 days running easy, and I want to fit in 3 hard turbo sessions, am I better loading both hard sessions on the same day followed by an easy day/2 days of running? Ie Mon am - Q run 1 (c. 140 TSS) pm - turbo - sweet spot ( c.95 TSS) Tues pm - easy run (80-85 TSS) Wed - roughly the same as Mon. Thurs - easy run ( 80-85 TSS) Fri - am - easy run. (80-85 TSS) pm - longer turbo session (200 ish TSS)building to 300 TSS. Sat - Q3 run, LSD. ( 180-260 TSS) Sun off/ easy run Or would I be better alternating the hard run days with the hard turbo day? ie. Mon q1 run Tues q1 bike. E run. Wed q2 run. Thur q2 bike. E run. Fri q3 bike. E run. Sat q3 run. Sun off/E run. I'm thinking it's better to load up 4, relatively hard days to ensure there are 3 days that are truly used to recover. My only concern is DOMS, where I'm going to be trying to do both quality sessions on the same day 2 days after the last hard sessions. Any thoughts?

Quality also means as quality as possible. That's unlikely to be possible by stacking them. And there's a small but critical difference between easy workouts and recovery workouts. You want them to be easy--not recovery. So inasmuch as your schedule allows, separate the q runs as much as possible, then the hard bike sessions in between, not immediately or same-day preceding or following.

2014-10-30 7:13 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by Richardsdrr What's the consensus on consecutive hard training sessions? What I mean is, if I'm going to have 3 quality running sessions per week with the other 3-4 days running easy, and I want to fit in 3 hard turbo sessions, am I better loading both hard sessions on the same day followed by an easy day/2 days of running? Ie Mon am - Q run 1 (c. 140 TSS) pm - turbo - sweet spot ( c.95 TSS) Tues pm - easy run (80-85 TSS) Wed - roughly the same as Mon. Thurs - easy run ( 80-85 TSS) Fri - am - easy run. (80-85 TSS) pm - longer turbo session (200 ish TSS)building to 300 TSS. Sat - Q3 run, LSD. ( 180-260 TSS) Sun off/ easy run Or would I be better alternating the hard run days with the hard turbo day? ie. Mon q1 run Tues q1 bike. E run. Wed q2 run. Thur q2 bike. E run. Fri q3 bike. E run. Sat q3 run. Sun off/E run. I'm thinking it's better to load up 4, relatively hard days to ensure there are 3 days that are truly used to recover. My only concern is DOMS, where I'm going to be trying to do both quality sessions on the same day 2 days after the last hard sessions. Any thoughts?

A few questions are coming up. First is what is this to get ready for? Another is which is more your priority, running or cycling? Generally it's more beneficial to have hard and easy days than stringing together a number of days with a hard effort workout in there. Might seem a bit odd to double up, but if you can work out how much of each to do it can work. It keeps all the hard work closer together and gives a longer (and needed) recovery between them. Having said that, putting 3 of each into a week is quite a lot. What are you planning to do in each workout? What are you planning to do for these workouts? 1 x 20' sweet spot plus a few hours in Z2 is quite a bit different than 3-4 x 20' sweet spot even though you can get the same TSS in each. The first would be a lot easier to do some running with.

I'm working towards something like this currently, but know that running is my priority (and it's more off-season for me). So I'm concentrating more on establishing both the harder run workouts and the run volume. The bike work is substantially lighter and kind of what I feel, but anything harder is being done the same day as a hard run. It's just not as much or as hard as I've done in the past. Also, I'm running in the morning, putting it first, because that's my priority now. I do the one I want better execution on first. It's probably going to be a few more weeks before the bike work starts to really progress towards what I have in mind while I get the running in order. I don't know that I'll be getting to 3 bike workouts with hard parts in them, maybe 2. And that will still be a challenge.

Edited by brigby1 2014-10-30 7:16 AM
2014-10-30 7:29 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Time for me to do some begging and bribing myself

It's MANATEE PROMO TIME!

Super thanks to all who voted ... it's time for the big tourism/fashion/event industry awards (there's HUGE publicity) in Indonesia and I'm one of the Outstanding Achievement nominees, for Ironman and promoting sports here especially for disabled and disadvantage athletes.

Please vote! (I'm near the bottom, you can vote at random for the others--all nominees are pretty amazing quality). It's one vote per e-mail address (hint hint). And please share in whatever ways you feel appropriate. (Not here on BT, it's against the rules, although exceptions are made from time to time and I may ask for one).

I've got more stuff that clanks than any human needs but I REALLY REALLY want as many other athletes as possible to get clanky stuff too!

http://theyakmag.com/

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-10-30 7:32 AM
2014-10-30 9:25 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Dangit - I have 3 email addresses, but I can only remember the passwords for 2 of them - so I may or may not have voted twice and then possibly created a new email account to vote a third time.  Maybe.   

2014-10-30 9:40 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Dangit - I have 3 email addresses, but I can only remember the passwords for 2 of them - so I may or may not have voted twice and then possibly created a new email account to vote a third time.  Maybe.   

Hmm, site wouldn't let me vote more than once.  I didn't even have a chance to use other emails!

2014-10-30 10:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by brigby1

A few questions are coming up. First is what is this to get ready for? Another is which is more your priority, running or cycling? Generally it's more beneficial to have hard and easy days than stringing together a number of days with a hard effort workout in there. Might seem a bit odd to double up, but if you can work out how much of each to do it can work. It keeps all the hard work closer together and gives a longer (and needed) recovery between them. Having said that, putting 3 of each into a week is quite a lot. What are you planning to do in each workout? What are you planning to do for these workouts? 1 x 20' sweet spot plus a few hours in Z2 is quite a bit different than 3-4 x 20' sweet spot even though you can get the same TSS in each. The first would be a lot easier to do some running with.

I'm working towards something like this currently, but know that running is my priority (and it's more off-season for me). So I'm concentrating more on establishing both the harder run workouts and the run volume. The bike work is substantially lighter and kind of what I feel, but anything harder is being done the same day as a hard run. It's just not as much or as hard as I've done in the past. Also, I'm running in the morning, putting it first, because that's my priority now. I do the one I want better execution on first. It's probably going to be a few more weeks before the bike work starts to really progress towards what I have in mind while I get the running in order. I don't know that I'll be getting to 3 bike workouts with hard parts in them, maybe 2. And that will still be a challenge.

Thanks both. Two opposing views
I see where you're both coming from. I'll answer some of Bens questions and perhaps we can nail details down.

I'm run focused at the moment with a standalone marathon at the end of April as my target race. Aim is to PB with sub 3:30. I have been increasing run volume/frequency over the past 6 weeks all at easy pace (almost all tsk tsk).
Going to carry on with the easy running program for another 2 weeks, then moving onto 4 week hills, 4 week speed, 16 week marathon specific.
No other races planned up until marathon, but there is a HM and a 20 mile race on the lead up the marathon I may do run by the same company.

After the Mary, my next race is IM Wales in September. Leading into this, I will probably do Wales Long Course weekend in July, and possibly a half iron in August, as prep. I probably won't do the marathon on the LCW to save the legs.
My aim with the turbo sessions is to build a 24 week base prior to start IM training in May, these will not take precedence over the runs, and I will drop intensity of these if I'm feeling fatigued.
I can't remember if you're on Trainer Road, but I'm looking at doing the Sweetspot Base 1 x 2 (2x6weeks) Sweetspot Base 2 x 2 (2x6weeks). If you don't have access to have a look at those plans, let me know and I'll try and give you a breakdown of what's planned.

I aim doing the runs 1st also. My days are a bit topsy turvey compared to most though, as I work nights.

2014-10-30 10:13 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by amd723

Hmm, site wouldn't let me vote more than once.  I didn't even have a chance to use other emails!

I love you guys

Depending on your internet settings, you may have to clear cache/history/cookies to vote again. It's also easier to vote if you have pop-ups blocked because the first thing that comes up is a pop-up window about the awards venue.

2014-10-30 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by amd723

I love you guys

Depending on your internet settings, you may have to clear cache/history/cookies to vote again. It's also easier to vote if you have pop-ups blocked because the first thing that comes up is a pop-up window about the awards venue.

changed computers and fooled the site!

2014-10-30 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Whew! Finally made it to the new thread and I had 3 pages to catch up on!!!!!!!!!!

2014-10-30 12:09 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Time for me to do some begging and bribing myself

It's MANATEE PROMO TIME!

Super thanks to all who voted ... it's time for the big tourism/fashion/event industry awards (there's HUGE publicity) in Indonesia and I'm one of the Outstanding Achievement nominees, for Ironman and promoting sports here especially for disabled and disadvantage athletes.

Please vote! (I'm near the bottom, you can vote at random for the others--all nominees are pretty amazing quality). It's one vote per e-mail address (hint hint). And please share in whatever ways you feel appropriate. (Not here on BT, it's against the rules, although exceptions are made from time to time and I may ask for one).

I've got more stuff that clanks than any human needs but I REALLY REALLY want as many other athletes as possible to get clanky stuff too!

http://theyakmag.com/

Awesome!

2014-10-30 12:32 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr  Thanks both. Two opposing views I see where you're both coming from. I'll answer some of Bens questions and perhaps we can nail details down. I'm run focused at the moment with a standalone marathon at the end of April as my target race. Aim is to PB with sub 3:30. I have been increasing run volume/frequency over the past 6 weeks all at easy pace (almost all tsk tsk). Going to carry on with the easy running program for another 2 weeks, then moving onto 4 week hills, 4 week speed, 16 week marathon specific. No other races planned up until marathon, but there is a HM and a 20 mile race on the lead up the marathon I may do run by the same company. After the Mary, my next race is IM Wales in September. Leading into this, I will probably do Wales Long Course weekend in July, and possibly a half iron in August, as prep. I probably won't do the marathon on the LCW to save the legs. My aim with the turbo sessions is to build a 24 week base prior to start IM training in May, these will not take precedence over the runs, and I will drop intensity of these if I'm feeling fatigued. I can't remember if you're on Trainer Road, but I'm looking at doing the Sweetspot Base 1 x 2 (2x6weeks) Sweetspot Base 2 x 2 (2x6weeks). If you don't have access to have a look at those plans, let me know and I'll try and give you a breakdown of what's planned. I aim doing the runs 1st also. My days are a bit topsy turvey compared to most though, as I work nights.

Well, the views aren't necessarily opposing as both say to have the harder and easier days. I was also saying that two hard sessions a day is going to compromise things some, which isn't really any different than the cautioning about the quality in quality point Yanti made. And in trying to do 3 of each, you're really trying to do a focus of both even though you did pick the bike as the one to back off on. Quite often I think people might only fit in like 1 hard bike session a week when they're really working on a marathon, if that. I haven't tried, so some others may be able to comment on that. It's going to take up a lot of your time and energy.

So it's a spring marathon and an early fall IM? Good to have your priorities set and then anything else is if it fits ok with what you have going at the time.

I still didn't quite understand the bike work. I see sweet spot plan section, but there are 6 of them. A low, mid and high, each with a pair of plans. None of them quite match up to what you said. SSB1-low seems closest, but the TSS is lower than what you listed. All the others have more rides in them.

2014-10-30 1:24 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Alright, I signed up for my first ultra.

Well, it's not really ultra by the definition of being "anything over 26.2" because it's only 25K but it's an unsupported trail run up some big mountains. And I had to go through ultrasignup to register so it sort of counts. 

I'm in a weird spot with my running right now. Obviously I have had some strange setbacks this year...which has been keeping me from a nice clean line of progress. I know that can't really last forever anyway, but it has been a challenge.

I find myself more and more desiring to just run free out in the woods up big mountains. And it kind of scares me, or at least it has me feeling conflicted. As if I am abandoning my original goals. I'm not quire sure how to sort it out. OR what I should do.

I'm definitely going to run CIM in Sacramento Dec. 7. I probably need to set aside any lofty time goals and just run conservatively. But I think I will show up in good enough shape to at least finish the thing. After that I am not sure. I might just do some fun trail-type stuff and then maybe build for another marathon in the spring. Not sure yet.

I guess I don't really know if I have a specific question. I'm just rambling. Maybe feeling a little lost. 

2014-10-30 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Well, it's not really ultra by the definition of being "anything over 26.2" because it's only 25K but it's an unsupported trail run up some big mountains. And I had to go through ultrasignup to register so it sort of counts. 

I'm in a weird spot with my running right now. Obviously I have had some strange setbacks this year...which has been keeping me from a nice clean line of progress. I know that can't really last forever anyway, but it has been a challenge.

I find myself more and more desiring to just run free out in the woods up big mountains. And it kind of scares me, or at least it has me feeling conflicted. As if I am abandoning my original goals. I'm not quire sure how to sort it out. OR what I should do.

I'm definitely going to run CIM in Sacramento Dec. 7. I probably need to set aside any lofty time goals and just run conservatively. But I think I will show up in good enough shape to at least finish the thing. After that I am not sure. I might just do some fun trail-type stuff and then maybe build for another marathon in the spring. Not sure yet.

I guess I don't really know if I have a specific question. I'm just rambling. Maybe feeling a little lost. 

You aren't abondoning anything! Our interests and goals change. As long as you are pushing yourself I think following your heart is a great thing! You will still push yourself and do amazing things, uphill or otherwise!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-10-30 1:41 PM
2014-10-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

or maybe you're just finding yourself.
2014-10-30 1:46 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

On a totally different note, after my race on Saturday I watched the kids race.

I think it's incredible the way children run. Form seems to be instinctual. Look at this little guy. Also, try not to judge me for being creepy. 

2014-10-30 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I think it's incredible the way children run. Form seems to be instinctual. Look at this little guy. Also, try not to judge me for being creepy. 

I agree! I love watching kids race. They go at it like they are running for their life and have fun doing it.

2014-10-30 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Shoe question....

As my mileage increases while training for my marathon I'm thinking I need a shoe with more cushion than the Pure Connects give me. I luv my PC's but because I'm injury prone I thinking I should find a more cushioned Brooks. I would consider another brand but my PC's make me so happy and I think Brooks finally unlocked the right combination (whatever that is) for my foot. I am a neutral runner. Thoughts?

2014-10-30 1:55 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Shoe question....

As my mileage increases while training for my marathon I'm thinking I need a shoe with more cushion than the Pure Connects give me. I luv my PC's but because I'm injury prone I thinking I should find a more cushioned Brooks. I would consider another brand but my PC's make me so happy and I think Brooks finally unlocked the right combination (whatever that is) for my foot. I am a neutral runner. Thoughts?

What makes you think you need more cushion? Is something bothering you? 

2014-10-30 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Perhaps it's because of the strange set backs that you find yourself wanting to just run without worrying about hitting certain marks.  

That's my deep, not quite complete, thought for the day 

Edited by amd723 2014-10-30 2:11 PM
2014-10-30 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Looks like someone should have called the cops on you!  You big meanie 

2014-10-30 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Shoe question....

Nothing is bothering me but I think the Pure Connect is designed to be more of a racing shoe. I use them for all of my runs because they are the first shoe that didn't give me blisters anywhere. I figured with the higher mileage I might need more cushion

2014-10-30 2:20 PM

User image

Seattle

Shoe question....

Nothing is bothering me but I think the Pure Connect is designed to be more of a racing shoe. I use them for all of my runs because they are the first shoe that didn't give me blisters anywhere. I figured with the higher mileage I might need more cushion

I run 75-100 MPW  in mine.

I say don't worry about it for now. If you start feeling it then address the problem. But until there is an actual problem, it's hard to know the fix.

2014-10-30 2:20 PM

Master
Northern IL

Best two races of the year were Copperman and Fall Colors run. Both were pretty much out in woods with nothing around. Been watching a lot of stuff on ultrasignup as I keep building my run back in.

2014-10-30 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Shoe question....

I say don't worry about it for now. If you start feeling it then address the problem. But until there is an actual problem, it's hard to know the fix.

Good to know thanks!!!!!!!

2014-10-30 2:37 PM

User image

Seattle

Shoe question....

Good to know thanks!!!!!!!

But be sure to keep tabs on how you feel. What works for me may not work for you. Conversely, just because a shoe store of mainstream magazine indicates you need X shoe or X amount of cushioning to be successful, doesn't mean that is necessary for you. 

Notice the kid above, in his indoor soccer shoes with jeans on. He's running just fine  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 62967 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42317 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72752 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50394 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25686 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.