BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-12-18 10:49 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Merry belated birthdays to Jo and Matt!  ()

Good to see Darren checking in with more details. Hope the next round of tests proves more helpful.

Salty should've just borrowed the bike and ridden home...shoes in the basket and everything else UPS. Probably faster and more fun.

A few non-fiction books for Stacey: Unbroken is a must read if you haven't yet. (forget the movie hype. book is beautiful.) Fixing Freddie and Marley are dog books that made me laugh and cry. Jon Krakauer is my non-fiction author of the moment, Into the Wild and Where Men Win Glory. Seabiscuit and Ruffian are wonderful horse books. Three Cups of Tea was really interesting, though I was disappointed to read about Mortenson's issues later. I Am Malala is on my list of NEED to read.

I have to get ready for T's Christmas program. And we're starting drive to Kansas at noon...a little busy this morning.

Man, I 100% agree with Unbroken and Wild. Plus, you can see the movies once you are done. Where Men WIn Glory and Into the Wild, too!!! Infact, anything by Krakauer is amaze-bawls. 

Eat and Run is good. Maybe my favorite running book is Once a Runner which is actually fiction.

Lauren Fleshman and Roisin McGettigan-Dumas wrote a fantastic training journal that I highly recommend. It's mostly for you to log your workouts but it's also got some fantastic content that helps you along the way. It's called Believe Training Journal 

2014-12-18 10:58 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Good to see Darren checking in with more details. Hope the next round of tests proves more helpful.

Salty should've just borrowed the bike and ridden home...shoes in the basket and everything else UPS. Probably faster and more fun.

A few non-fiction books for Stacey: Unbroken is a must read if you haven't yet. (forget the movie hype. book is beautiful.) Fixing Freddie and Marley are dog books that made me laugh and cry. Jon Krakauer is my non-fiction author of the moment, Into the Wild and Where Men Win Glory. Seabiscuit and Ruffian are wonderful horse books. Three Cups of Tea was really interesting, though I was disappointed to read about Mortenson's issues later. I Am Malala is on my list of NEED to read.

I have to get ready for T's Christmas program. And we're starting drive to Kansas at noon...a little busy this morning.

Man, I 100% agree with Unbroken and Wild. Plus, you can see the movies once you are done. Where Men WIn Glory and Into the Wild, too!!! Infact, anything by Krakauer is amaze-bawls. 

Eat and Run is good. Maybe my favorite running book is Once a Runner which is actually fiction.

Lauren Fleshman and Roisin McGettigan-Dumas wrote a fantastic training journal that I highly recommend. It's mostly for you to log your workouts but it's also got some fantastic content that helps you along the way. It's called Believe Training Journal 

I've wondered about that journal. So many Oiselle-related people gush about it but I figured since I e-log my workouts I don't really need a journal. It's not pricey. Maybe I'll order one after all.

2014-12-18 11:52 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Originally posted by rrrunner

Good to know about Unbroken. I'll look for it on Kindle!

Have fun at T's program. Wave as you pass through town, orrrrr stop in if you need a place to crash

Ohhh...we may take you up on that offer! Let me talk to J, and I'll send you a note
2014-12-18 12:10 PM

User image

Seattle

I've wondered about that journal. So many Oiselle-related people gush about it but I figured since I e-log my workouts I don't really need a journal. It's not pricey. Maybe I'll order one after all.

Something the book talks about is specifically the value in pen to paper. As someone who absolutely finds the value in this (when I take notes, study for things etc) I am excited to do it. I'll keep both, too. 

2014-12-18 1:28 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Mmmm, been ticked off by nanna Janyne
It appears that she believes some of you would be interested in an update about my ticker situ'.
I thought it would have been picked up on FB feed, but anyhooooo.
I went in for an angiogram on Tuesday of last week, bit of a strange experience that.
Arteries looked clear, no obvious signs of heart damage.
The cardio then carried out an ultrasound from within my arteries to check the walls for delineation, of which there was none.
Back home from hospital that day but not allowed to drive until the Saturday.
Still have pains in my chest and there is still no explanation for the funny heart rate pattern that started all this off.
Looks like the elevated levels of triponin found in the blood, which made the doctor think I'd had a heart attack, was caused by the cardio I'd been doing.
Good news that the 40 cigs a day smoking habit for the past 14 years has not caused any noticeable damage to my heart and my cholesterol level is 4.2. Oh, and i have athletic heart syndrome
I'm waiting on a follow up appointment to come through. I don't know what that will involve, more tests, advice (?).
I feel okay in myself, but haven't managed to get out for any phys'.

Oh, I am lost by the cream of the crop reference. You're gonna have to spell that one out for me. Or were you expecting me to come up with some Lude/crude remark?

Well that all sounds like good stuff. So many endurance athletes have an enlarged heart. We should NEVER forget that our heart is a muscle like the rest of em, and as such needs a rest day to repair just like our other muscles. I know Dr Tamsin Lewis has talked a lot about the risk to heart and triathlon - just search her blog. Glad you're okay, take it easy!

2014-12-18 1:44 PM

User image

Master

Sigh.  It takes me 2 days and 3 pages to notice.  My excuse is that I am now on holidays until Jan 5, so I was trying to tie up lose ends at work!

Holiday memories for me are always going to my Aunties house.  She lived about 90 min away, so we would pack everything into the car (single mom, but she always found a way to get tons of little, inexpensive gift that filled the vehicle) and stay for a few days.  Decorations too--my mom decorates for every holiday, but Christmas was always over the top.  My dad would put up a flying Santa Display, which I now continue.  And cookies.  Oh my mom would bake!

2014-12-18 1:51 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

Sigh.  It takes me 2 days and 3 pages to notice.  My excuse is that I am now on holidays until Jan 5, so I was trying to tie up lose ends at work!

Holiday memories for me are always going to my Aunties house.  She lived about 90 min away, so we would pack everything into the car (single mom, but she always found a way to get tons of little, inexpensive gift that filled the vehicle) and stay for a few days.  Decorations too--my mom decorates for every holiday, but Christmas was always over the top.  My dad would put up a flying Santa Display, which I now continue.  And cookies.  Oh my mom would bake!

Pictures?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh I love to bake and make candy. It's interesting, though, because I talk about a healthy lifestyle most of the year then provide everyone with cookies and candy all December long.

2014-12-18 1:55 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Christ on a crutch who knew a flight from SD could take 16 hours. I had the privileged of sleeping on the floor at SFO. Oh and my luggage is lost. 

Oh no!  At least you arrived safely. 

Shoes are OK though?  Can't lose the running shoes! 

No, two pair are out floating in space!. It's ok in a sense that I am not attached to any one pair. But I definitely have some things I would like back.

My stuff is apparently in Denver at the moment. Cross you fingers.

Mary, can you get Salty's stuff??? Probably a long shot.

Sure.  I'll walk it home to her so it gets back to her faster.   

Good news, you don't have to walk.

A super sketchy guy delivered my stuff at 10 pm last night (after they had called me at 3 and said they would be out to deliver anyyyy time)

2014-12-18 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Christ on a crutch who knew a flight from SD could take 16 hours. I had the privileged of sleeping on the floor at SFO. Oh and my luggage is lost. 

Oh no!  At least you arrived safely. 

Shoes are OK though?  Can't lose the running shoes! 

No, two pair are out floating in space!. It's ok in a sense that I am not attached to any one pair. But I definitely have some things I would like back.

My stuff is apparently in Denver at the moment. Cross you fingers.

Mary, can you get Salty's stuff??? Probably a long shot.

Sure.  I'll walk it home to her so it gets back to her faster.   

Good news, you don't have to walk.

A super sketchy guy delivered my stuff at 10 pm last night (after they had called me at 3 and said they would be out to deliver anyyyy time)

I guess we'll call that a win. Especially since he wasn't wearing any of your clothes

2014-12-18 2:29 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

My favorite Christmas memories all involve the chaos that was always our house.  In addition to my parents, 5 siblings, grandmother, myself and dogs, we always had my aunt and uncle and cousins and their dog come to stay with us in Florida for 2 weeks.  So, that was 13 people in a house with  5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.  We had people sleeping all over the place.  There wasn't one time a day that there was absolute quite in the house.   When I was young, all my xmas shopping was done at either the drug store or stores like Spencers.  I loved giving those crappy (but I thought great) gifts to everyone!!  

2014-12-18 2:53 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

My favorite Christmas memories all involve the chaos that was always our house.  In addition to my parents, 5 siblings, grandmother, myself and dogs, we always had my aunt and uncle and cousins and their dog come to stay with us in Florida for 2 weeks.  So, that was 13 people in a house with  5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.  We had people sleeping all over the place.  There wasn't one time a day that there was absolute quite in the house.   When I was young, all my xmas shopping was done at either the drug store or stores like Spencers.  I loved giving those crappy (but I thought great) gifts to everyone!!  

Oh my! I remember shopping at Woolworths!!!!!! Ah the good ol' days!

2014-12-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Pictures?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh I love to bake and make candy. It's interesting, though, because I talk about a healthy lifestyle most of the year then provide everyone with cookies and candy all December long.

Here I can't figure out how to post pics here.  Every time I try it takes me forever, then I figure it out, but don't take notes so that I can remember later. 

Edited by IronOx 2014-12-18 3:16 PM
2014-12-18 3:22 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK So Manatees for the first time in my adult life I have done very little reading in the last 12 months (apart from my little addiction period there). I have decided that this needs to be rectified in 2015 and so I am compiling a list of books to read. With no limitations on topic or anything like that if you had to recommend 5 must read books to someone what would they be?

So is this Stace Face asking a reasonable question (addiction under control) or is this like Yanti thinking about training for her next race?

Do you like grand sweeping epic type stuff?

Do you like learn about the world type stuff?

Do you like funny stuff?

Do you like musical stuff?

Do you like life-changing stuff?

This is Stacey Face asking a reasonable question with her addiction reasonably under control I prefer nonfiction in order to keep the addiction in check. Other than that the answer to all your questions is Yes.

Can't remember reading a book since before joining this crew. Still deciding on what all that says.

2014-12-18 4:54 PM
in reply to: #5063700

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Kirsten that's awesome. You remind.sedentary my mom used to use the window spray snow stuff to decorate the windows. It was cool!
2014-12-18 5:15 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner Kirsten that's awesome. You remind.sedentary my mom used to use the window spray snow stuff to decorate the windows. It was cool!

"Damn you, Autocorrect"?

2014-12-18 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner Kirsten that's awesome. You remind.sedentary my mom used to use the window spray snow stuff to decorate the windows. It was cool!

"Damn you, Autocorrect"?

No kidding!

2014-12-18 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Christmas Memories

Like many others we didn't have much money when I was growing up, 4 kids on one income will do that to you, but somehow my parents always managed to make Christmas great. I think that my mum used to shop all year round.

I remember one Christmas, I think I was about 8, getting up to go to the toilet at about 3 in the morning and I had to walk past the tree and Santa had been and our stockings were bulging and I mean splitting at the sides (to this day I don't know what happened that year to mean my parents had the money) anyway I went back and woke my 10 year old sister up and we dragged the 4 stockings into my brothers' room cause they were too big for us to carry. We woke up our brothers who would have been 6 and 4 and were going through our stockings as quietly as we possibly could trying not to get too excited by all the stuff.

The next thing we know the bedroom door flies open and my Mum is standing not at all happy. We got in big trouble and had to pack everything back into the stockings and go back to bed. The rule in our house was no presents before we were dressed and had breakfast.

For the first time in over a decade my Mum and Dad, one of my brothers and his family are coming to my place for Christmas for a big dinner. Mmm cooking in 100* heat not such a good idea, might have to go to the beach in the morning.
2014-12-18 10:39 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Stacey, your comment about cooking in 100* heat reminded me of a former coworker (a somewhat stout, balding fellow in his 50's) who lived in Australia for awhile.  He said that hearing Handel's "Messiah" always made him think about sitting around in his underwear drinking beer.  How's THAT for an image?!

One year for Christmas, I got a stocking full of office supplies like a date stamp, erasers, a mechanical pencil, etc.  That was pretty cool for a geeky 5 or 6 y.o.!  Another year, I got a bunch of old costume jewelry, probably from the 50's.  I still have one of the necklaces and get compliments on it nearly every time I wear it.  Our stockings always had unshelled nuts in them and an orange in the toe, and every year, Mom made eggnog and these lacy Norwegian cookies that have to be made 1 at a time.  The eggnog was non-alcoholic but had real whipped cream on top and was SO good!!.  (I've only had it with alcohol once and thought it tasted weird). 

My worst Christmas memory is of getting a beehive for my 1st grade Christmas concert.  I was thinking of something more Laura Ingalls Wilder; evidently the hairdresser misunderstand the design concept.  So picture me at my concert, wearing my favorite quilted floor-length jumper dress, a turtleneck and that beehive.  I'll just let you imagine that for a moment....  I'm incredibly grateful that no photographic evidence remains!!!!!

2014-12-18 11:17 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Here's the latest iteration of the rules for the Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge:

1. The challenge starts on 1/1/2015.
  2. Logs will be checked on Thursday nights after 6 p.m. MST, with results posted on Fridays. The first report will be on 1/2/2015.
  3. Reporting will be number of days you met your goal during the week (e.g., 2/7, 5/7, 7/7).  Final report will be x/31.  Total time, total distance, or type(s) of activity won't be reported.  It' not a competition for who did how much of what or for how long.
  4. Goals can be either 10 min./day or something specific like Matt's (30 min. stretching, etc.) or Chris's (5 run days, 2 yoga days).  If you want a specific goal other than 10 min./day, please post it in the forum or send Mary a PM if you don't want it made public.
  5. Logs will be checked on Thursday nights after 6 p.m. Mountain Standard Time.
  6. If you're injured, you can probably still do something for 10 min. unless you’re really injured. No credit if you don’t do some sort of athletic-related activity for 10 min., including stretching or PT.
  7. If you're sick, you’re sick. If you can manage 10 min. of something, great. If not, you miss a day.
  8. No banking allowed.  The point of the challenge is to work on consistency.

I think we're pretty close to having final rules but there's still time to cuss and discuss if anybody disagrees with any of the above.

Also, here's who I have participating:

• me
  • Chris
  • Melanie
  • TJ
  • Kirsten
  • Ann-Marie
  • Janyne
  • Stacey
  • Monica
  • Matt
  • Judi

Anybody else?

2014-12-19 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Here's the latest iteration of the rules for the Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge:

1. The challenge starts on 1/1/2015.
  2. Logs will be checked on Thursday nights after 6 p.m. MST, with results posted on Fridays. The first report will be on 1/2/2015.
  3. Reporting will be number of days you met your goal during the week (e.g., 2/7, 5/7, 7/7).  Final report will be x/31.  Total time, total distance, or type(s) of activity won't be reported.  It' not a competition for who did how much of what or for how long.
  4. Goals can be either 10 min./day or something specific like Matt's (30 min. stretching, etc.) or Chris's (5 run days, 2 yoga days).  If you want a specific goal other than 10 min./day, please post it in the forum or send Mary a PM if you don't want it made public.
  5. Logs will be checked on Thursday nights after 6 p.m. Mountain Standard Time.
  6. If you're injured, you can probably still do something for 10 min. unless you’re really injured. No credit if you don’t do some sort of athletic-related activity for 10 min., including stretching or PT.
  7. If you're sick, you’re sick. If you can manage 10 min. of something, great. If not, you miss a day.
  8. No banking allowed.  The point of the challenge is to work on consistency.

I think we're pretty close to having final rules but there's still time to cuss and discuss if anybody disagrees with any of the above.

Also, here's who I have participating:

• me
  • Chris
  • Melanie
  • TJ
  • Kirsten
  • Ann-Marie
  • Janyne
  • Stacey
  • Monica
  • Matt
  • Judi

Anybody else?

Regarding #7, I like Matt's idea that we'd subtract from the 31 so if you are sick for a days you could get a maximum score of 30/30.  In other words, you completed the challenge on 100% of the days that you could.

2014-12-19 8:05 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

December 20-21
Jonathan TN - Lookout Moutain 50 miler on Saturday

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Ann Marie - shoulder (improving! sling be gone!)
Yanti - recovering from IM
Jonathan TX - hamstring issues (improving)
Darren - heart (awaiting follow up appt)

Thinking of Melanie and her dad. Good thoughts for their appointment today.

Stay tuned for a New Iteration of the Manatees (yes, we rise from the flames like a Phoenix, hopefully to a shorter DL!) and finalized rules for January's Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge.

P.S. Prep your bios for the new thread

2014-12-19 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Stacey, your comment about cooking in 100* heat reminded me of a former coworker (a somewhat stout, balding fellow in his 50's) who lived in Australia for awhile.  He said that hearing Handel's "Messiah" always made him think about sitting around in his underwear drinking beer.  How's THAT for an image?!

One year for Christmas, I got a stocking full of office supplies like a date stamp, erasers, a mechanical pencil, etc.  That was pretty cool for a geeky 5 or 6 y.o.!  Another year, I got a bunch of old costume jewelry, probably from the 50's.  I still have one of the necklaces and get compliments on it nearly every time I wear it.  Our stockings always had unshelled nuts in them and an orange in the toe, and every year, Mom made eggnog and these lacy Norwegian cookies that have to be made 1 at a time.  The eggnog was non-alcoholic but had real whipped cream on top and was SO good!!.  (I've only had it with alcohol once and thought it tasted weird). 

My worst Christmas memory is of getting a beehive for my 1st grade Christmas concert.  I was thinking of something more Laura Ingalls Wilder; evidently the hairdresser misunderstand the design concept.  So picture me at my concert, wearing my favorite quilted floor-length jumper dress, a turtleneck and that beehive.  I'll just let you imagine that for a moment....  I'm incredibly grateful that no photographic evidence remains!!!!!

I made nog with alcohol for the first time this Thanksgiving and LOVED it! MMMMMMM

2014-12-19 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I made nog with alcohol for the first time this Thanksgiving and LOVED it! MMMMMMM

Everything is better with alcohol. This is especially true of today, which will get better at happy hour!

2014-12-19 9:31 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Everything is better with alcohol. This is especially true of today, which will get better at happy hour!

It's 5 'Oclock somewhere

2014-12-19 9:32 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

December 20-21
Jonathan TN - Lookout Moutain 50 miler on Saturday

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Ann Marie - shoulder (improving! sling be gone!)
Yanti - recovering from IM
Jonathan TX - hamstring issues (improving)
Darren - heart (awaiting follow up appt)

Thinking of Melanie and her dad. Good thoughts for their appointment today.

Stay tuned for a New Iteration of the Manatees (yes, we rise from the flames like a Phoenix, hopefully to a shorter DL!) and finalized rules for January's Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge.

P.S. Prep your bios for the new thread

Jonathan TN, if you're still checking in here and doing the race on Saturday, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

People (myself included, unfortunately), we need to be racing, not hurting.  This whole DL thing is just wrong wrong wrong.  HEEEEEEEAL, dangit!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 62988 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42346 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72761 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50423 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25700 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.