BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-12-19 2:17 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Another thing to add to the list of things I haven't tried... Starbucks. Pumpkin. Egg nog.

Oh my goodness.  That's positively tragic.

We should have a game to find other things Darren has never tried and that make us say, "WTF?"!! 

When we had a Russian hockey player living with us I was amazed at the things he hadn't ever eaten like maple syrup, peanut butter or jelly

Another thing to add to the list of things I haven't tried... Starbucks. Pumpkin. Egg nog. Maple Syrup. Peanut Butter.

This is getting serious!!

Is an intervention needed?

2014-12-19 2:27 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Another thing to add to the list of things I haven't tried... Starbucks. Pumpkin. Egg nog.

We should have a game to find other things Darren has never tried and that make us say, "WTF?"!! 

When we had a Russian hockey player living with us I was amazed at the things he hadn't ever eaten like maple syrup, peanut butter or jelly

Another thing to add to the list of things I haven't tried... Starbucks. Pumpkin. Egg nog. Maple Syrup. Peanut Butter.

NO MAPLE SYRUP???  

Definitely serious.  

2014-12-19 3:27 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Catching up slowly.

Books.

I've mentioned this book before, but I'll mention it again because I don't read much fiction anymore, and I found this beautiful.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Green_Was_My_Valley

I've also just finished The Chimp Paradox, which I found insightful. About to re-read it again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chimp-Paradox-Acclaimed-Management-Confiden...
2014-12-19 3:55 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

NO MAPLE SYRUP???  

Definitely serious.  

No peanut butter??? WTH???

2014-12-19 4:01 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm also in a weird spot with teams...

As you guys know I am really interested in the stuff Oiselle is doing. I am part of their team now (I don't know that I told you guys that) but they don't really have much in place for workouts. They do a Sunday long run that is a little inconvenient for me both is that it's not super close to home, it's done early AND some of the girls get a little ... I dunno competitive? (not in a terrible way) but they force a faster pace than I prefer for that type of run. 

Anyway, all that being said, my other club holds Wednesday and Saturday workouts and it's comprised of most of the best runners in the state and is really good for me. 

So, I'm just not sure what I should do. It's not like either of them has an expectation of commit 100% (after all, I'm not a pro) although if CNW pays for my races obviously I need to run in the clubs stuff. But I'm not sure how to be involved with Oiselle too. 

What is it that's interesting about Oiselle?

Their outlook and perspective on the value of women in sport, their fearless challenges to the current way running (and USATF) is run, their stance on being a competitor emphasizing healthy mind and body (no negativity, tackling body image issues with vulnerable females) and I just plain ol' like their gear and the fact they are based here in Seattle.  

Hm.  I can see why you'd want to be associated with them, but it doesn't seem like their team is a good fit.  Maybe there's another way you can associate with them?  Maybe they'd sponsor you on your mountain runs as you raise money for a related charity.  It could turn into a "Women Conquering Mountains" thing or something...

What are the expectations with Oiselle? I'm guessing more along the lines of ambassador and brand promotion as they have product they want to get exposure for. Teams like this can have people nationwide, or even farther. So these workouts may really be optional without the *nudge, nudge* that some like to do.

2014-12-19 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

NO MAPLE SYRUP???  

Definitely serious.  

this one I understand, I've never eaten it either, can't stand the smell of it.

I used to make sandwiches for my mums day care kids occasionally and on those days we had always "run out of peanut butter, sorry kids." YUK

Edited by StaceyK 2014-12-19 4:03 PM

2014-12-19 4:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

I'm also in a weird spot with teams...

As you guys know I am really interested in the stuff Oiselle is doing. I am part of their team now (I don't know that I told you guys that) but they don't really have much in place for workouts. They do a Sunday long run that is a little inconvenient for me both is that it's not super close to home, it's done early AND some of the girls get a little ... I dunno competitive? (not in a terrible way) but they force a faster pace than I prefer for that type of run. 

Anyway, all that being said, my other club holds Wednesday and Saturday workouts and it's comprised of most of the best runners in the state and is really good for me. 

So, I'm just not sure what I should do. It's not like either of them has an expectation of commit 100% (after all, I'm not a pro) although if CNW pays for my races obviously I need to run in the clubs stuff. But I'm not sure how to be involved with Oiselle too. 

What is it that's interesting about Oiselle?

Their outlook and perspective on the value of women in sport, their fearless challenges to the current way running (and USATF) is run, their stance on being a competitor emphasizing healthy mind and body (no negativity, tackling body image issues with vulnerable females) and I just plain ol' like their gear and the fact they are based here in Seattle.  

Hm.  I can see why you'd want to be associated with them, but it doesn't seem like their team is a good fit.  Maybe there's another way you can associate with them?  Maybe they'd sponsor you on your mountain runs as you raise money for a related charity.  It could turn into a "Women Conquering Mountains" thing or something...

What are the expectations with Oiselle? I'm guessing more along the lines of ambassador and brand promotion as they have product they want to get exposure for. Teams like this can have people nationwide, or even farther. So these workouts may really be optional without the *nudge, nudge* that some like to do.

I guess that's the thing. None really. At least if you are asking what their expectations are. Yeah, they want people to see their product, which I wear almost every day and would do because I simply like it and no other reason. I just don't feel right about racing in their kit when I am getting quality workouts and coaching with my club. So it sits in my closet.

Every now and again, Oiselle cobbles enough women together to have a team for XC which often ends up being someone high profile like Fleshman and maybe Sally then a bunch of others of varying ability. On one hand, it'd be fun to run with them, give the things I have stated above AND I could step out of the shadows and have a chance to do well, relative to the team (of course always depending on who shows up) but I imagine my club would maybe feel a little betrayed given I do all my workouts with them and probably wouldn't like it if I toggled back and forth during the season when Oiselle doesn't have enough people. 

So maybe it's ok that I just sit back with Oiselle, and join in runs every now and again and that's enough.

2014-12-19 4:20 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by StaceyK

NO MAPLE SYRUP???  

Definitely serious.  

this one I understand, I've never eaten it either, can't stand the smell of it. I used to make sandwiches for my mums day care kids occasionally and on those days we had always "run out of peanut butter, sorry kids." YUK

I had Vegemite for the first time

2014-12-19 5:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

NO MAPLE SYRUP???  

Definitely serious.  

this one I understand, I've never eaten it either, can't stand the smell of it. I used to make sandwiches for my mums day care kids occasionally and on those days we had always "run out of peanut butter, sorry kids." YUK

I may or may not speak to you again.

2014-12-19 5:55 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

NO MAPLE SYRUP???  

Definitely serious.  

I may or may not speak to you again.

If you have peanut butter breath, she might just be okay with that.

2014-12-19 6:36 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I forgot to share some interesting news! It's kind of a long story and I can't yet share details but I have a sponsorship in the works with...get this...a local brewery!!!!!!!! Maybe sponsorship isn't the best term because what I was looking for was not money, or race fees paid but beer. And what I want to offer is connecting the beer community with the running community. Talk about a match made in heaven

Woo hoo!

2014-12-19 6:39 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

I forgot to share some interesting news! It's kind of a long story and I can't yet share details but I have a sponsorship in the works with...get this...a local brewery!!!!!!!! Maybe sponsorship isn't the best term because what I was looking for was not money, or race fees paid but beer. And what I want to offer is connecting the beer community with the running community. Talk about a match made in heaven

Way cool!!!!!!!!

Ooooh, keeping my fingers crossed for you.  Added bonus:  it'll give you lots of opportunities to train for the beer mile!!

So apparantly Lance Armstrong failed at the beer mile. Ironic since he did beer commercials

Many would say that Michelob Ultra is not beer. 

True that

2014-12-19 6:40 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

If you play your cards right, you could try them all at once! 

2014-12-20 6:40 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

NO MAPLE SYRUP???  

Definitely serious.  

I had Vegemite for the first time

and what did you think?

The very best way to eat Vegemite is in a very fresh white bread sandwich, with butter and about 1/2 inch of salt and vinegar crisps (or chips as we call them). Just a warning you will also need a bottle of water
2014-12-20 10:06 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

Racing Manatee (just one )

GO JonaTN!!!

Disabled List
Egads, what is WRONG with all you ... errr, us people ... group {MELON PILE} for wellness.

----> Thinking of Melanie and her dad. Good thoughts for their appointment today.

Ditto on this. Love and prayers will continue until further notice. And for Kirstiron's colleague.

2014-12-20 1:27 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Christmas Memories.

Two events stick in my mind particularly. For very different reasons.

The 1st was when I was 6-7 years old. Me and my brother had just been given new spud(potato) guns and were proceeding to bring our younger sister to the brink of death by potato. Mam and Dad had already gone to bed.
We heard a knock at the back patio door. "Ha" I said, "It must be Nan, lets get her". With that, myself and my brother got in position, pistols poised at the ready, to bomburst out Startsky and Hutch-esque style out of the living room to give my Nan the surprise of her life. 3---2---1---Go!GO!GO!

We both jumped out of our positions, pistols drawn, to be confronted by Father Christmas in front of our Patio Doors saying "Ho, ho, ho". We both shyte a brick, screamed, dropped the guns and ran upstairs. We ran straight into our parents bedroom, jumped on the bed and proceeded to jump up and down shouting "Mam, Dad, Santa's down stairs".

We were told not to be so stupid, but our persistence finally made my Mother get out of bed where she looked out the window to see Santa, sack and all, walking up our garden path. At which point she herself joined in the jumping up and down on the bed for my Dad to get up and look. My sister missed the whole thing, I think she was still tied up down stairs

To this day I still don't know who this person was, my Fathers friend, a random stranger, one of the neighbours, or maybe, just maybe...

The 2nd was not as fun.
When I was about 13 I used to regularly look after my siblings for my parents to work. This particular year both my parents were working on Christmas Eve so I was looking after the youngsters. I don't remember how we started, maybe with just one peak, but in the end we had unearthed all our presents and unwrapped the lot with the plan to re-wrap them before my Mother was due home at midnight.

Cue the front door to the house to open 2 hours early with me and my fellow reprobates still with all the presents spread out everywhere, still unwrapped. Me and my bro' looked at each other and immediately darted for a hiding place, leaving my Sister to hold the can. I can still remember hearing my Mother's footsteps coming up the stairs, the door opening, my heart throbbing in my ears, and the carnage that followed.
Wow, what a whooping. Promises that "it" was all going in the bin and we weren't to have anything in the morning.

We awoke in the morning to find all the presents carefully re-wrapped and my parents there. It was now the most awkward Christmas morning I have ever had. My Mother staring at us as we opened our presents in turn and then us having to feign surprise at our gifts in front of our Father. My Mother hadn't told my Dad, and I don't think he knows to this day. My toes curl at the thought of that Christmas even now. Now I am a parent, I can empathise how devastated my Mother must have been. I am truly shameful of this to this day.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda.

2014-12-20 2:23 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Darren, Those are interesting memories.  I can only imagine your mother's anger....

One year my parents decided that instead of putting tags on the presents that each of us kids would have their own "wrapping paper" .  They hoped it would cut down on the shaking./ peeking and other guessing games of "what is this?"  The idea had merit, but failed as we all pretty much guessed our paper well in advance. They used favorite colors/ things on each one so it was kind of a give-away that mine had kitties and my favorite color at the time was blue.  That was also the year my Grandmother from California --who rarely interacted with us--sent gifts pre wrapped for us.  I was helping to set them under the tree and told my parents that she mislabeled one.  They thought I was peeking --no hard to disguise a teddy bear that is not in any kind of box.  My brothers are 4 years either side of me.  The older one was in junior high at least--the LATS thing he would have wanted was a teddy bear.  Yep, it was mislabeled and intended for the younger one.

2014-12-21 4:31 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Elite
CHRISTMAS MEMORIES

I remember my best friend and I going shopping at our local shopping centre - Romford, Essex UK with our pocket money to buy gifts for our families. We both went to Boots the Chemist and bought Bubble Bath in crazy shaped glass bottles for our grandmothers then we bought handkerchieves for our grandfathers and/or cigarettes for them!

Then we went to a shop called Woolworths for delightful wrapping paper and coloured rolls of sticky tape. We made tags out of old Christmas cards.

My daughter right now is BEYOND excited.
2014-12-21 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Morning/afternoon/evening Manatees!For various and sundry reasons, I did not get around to sending Christmas cards this year. In fact, I'm so behind I just started buying gifts yesterday!!But, I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas!!ETA: there was supposed to be a Christmas picture attached, but once again it didn't work!!!

Edited by amd723 2014-12-21 9:39 AM
2014-12-22 2:11 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Morning/afternoon/evening Manatees!For various and sundry reasons, I did not get around to sending Christmas cards this year. In fact, I'm so behind I just started buying gifts yesterday!!But, I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas!!ETA: there was supposed to be a Christmas picture attached, but once again it didn't work!!!
Thanks Ann-Marie. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too.
2014-12-22 11:43 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Happy Solstice!!  To those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, yay for days getting longer!!  Sorry, Southern Hemisphere folks - it's your turn for shortening days.  Luckily none of you lives far enough south to have those 24-hour days in the dark (I think?).

2014-12-22 12:02 PM

User image

Seattle

Happy Solstice!!  To those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, yay for days getting longer!!  Sorry, Southern Hemisphere folks - it's your turn for shortening days.  Luckily none of you lives far enough south to have those 24-hour days in the dark (I think?).

Yaaaaaaaaaaay! All downhill from here!

2014-12-22 12:07 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

THANK HEAVENS!!!

2014-12-22 12:14 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Favorite Christmas memory - nothing singularly seems to stand out, other than certain yearly traditions: getting the extended family together Christmas eve at a different uncle/aunt's house each year, immediate family getting together for a big dinner and a gift exchange Christmas day at our house.  An enduring memory: a few years in a row my parents bought live, (root ball) Christmas trees, two of which got planted on either side of the driveway of our house after their stint in the house was complete (a third was planted elsewhere in the yard and died after a few years).  I lived in that house the first 20 years of my life and was very sad to move.  The people who bought the house loved the Christmas trees, now grown to probably 20-25 feet tall, and named their electric business after them, Twin Pines.  They've trimmed them up over the years, but they still are beautiful, majestic memories of wonderful Christmases past and I smile every time I drive by my old house.

Edited by melbo55 2014-12-22 12:15 PM
2014-12-22 12:25 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 62845 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42105 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72646 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50220 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25579 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.