BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-11-27 5:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)
Dp

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-11-27 10:58 PM

2014-11-27 10:57 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)
Happy Thanksgiving, fellow 'Murikan Manatees. Hoping you all had a wonderful day with family and friends and food.
2014-11-27 11:00 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Happy Thanksgiving, fellow 'Murikan Manatees. Hoping you all had a wonderful day with family and friends and food.

X2.  I know it is over for most of you, but I hope your day was filled of things to be thankful for. 

2014-11-27 11:08 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I had a great weekend!

Hiked in some snow with my friends (furry and human) and got a few fresh turns with my splitboard.

Then had a race on Sunday where I got to race against AND chat with Lauren Fleshman

I mean, she only beat me by like, three and a half minutes. That's not SO bad

But regardless of her professional status, Oiselle was unable to unseat our club as Regional Champions and we won the meet. Woop woop!

CONGRATULATIONS SALTY AND CO!!!

Had thought Adrienne was taller than that.

Ha! And I thought she was shorter than that. I'm 5'4 but she must be like 5'10 or something

Was thinking about this race today. Back under 19 minutes for a 5k even dressed for winter weather. And was a full 4 minutes behind the first two guys. Sheesh.

2014-11-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by jmkizer

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all the thanksgiving celebrating manatees!! The rest of you, have a nice Thursday
i would like to celebrate thanksgiving, I like the concept of it. It seems to be a far more purposeful reason to celebrate than some of the other holiday days we have -like the queens birthday. Oh and what's on your BLACK FRIDAY/CYBER MONDAY shopping list this year?

Nothing on my Black Friday list.  I challenge myself every year to buy absolutely nothing on Black Friday.  You'd be surprised how hard it is to not even buy gas or something at the grocery store.  As for Monday, I might be signing up for next season's first tri.
2014-11-28 6:38 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by laffinrock

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all the thanksgiving celebrating manatees!! The rest of you, have a nice Thursday
i would like to celebrate thanksgiving, I like the concept of it. It seems to be a far more purposeful reason to celebrate than some of the other holiday days we have -like the queens birthday. Oh and what's on your BLACK FRIDAY/CYBER MONDAY shopping list this year?

Nothing on my Black Friday list.  I challenge myself every year to buy absolutely nothing on Black Friday.  You'd be surprised how hard it is to not even buy gas or something at the grocery store.  As for Monday, I might be signing up for next season's first tri.

Why the Black Friday challenge Mary? Is there something significant about the day? How did it get it's name?

2014-11-28 8:35 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Happy Thanksgiving!

Why the Black Friday challenge Mary? Is there something significant about the day? How did it get it's name?

I'm not really sure how it got its name.  I've heard it's because that's the day that many businesses finally turn a profit for the year, but I think there are other stories out there as well. 

I do the challenge as a way to protest against the rabid consumerism of the whole holiday season.  I know it really doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things, but it helps to reminds me not to get caught up in the hype.

2014-11-28 8:56 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Just saw this in Bicycling Magazine.  It's even aero!!

2014-11-29 10:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm not really sure how it got its name.  I've heard it's because that's the day that many businesses finally turn a profit for the year, but I think there are other stories out there as well. 

I do the challenge as a way to protest against the rabid consumerism of the whole holiday season.  I know it really doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things, but it helps to reminds me not to get caught up in the hype.

I forget if it's really all the profitable, but the amount of sales is just massive. I've never gone out for it. Before it was just not wanting to deal with crowds. In the past few years they've tried extending sales into Thanksgiving day so now it's more making a point and avoiding being taken in by rampant consumerism.

2014-11-29 11:31 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
http://pix11.com/2014/11/27/how-did-black-friday-really-get-its-nam... lots of stor ies about Black Friday. This article seems to have done its research. I didn't do, nor have ever done, retail shopping on BF. I can't imagine there being anything i want badly enough to spend hours in a line crammed next to strangers just for the possibility of getting what i was there for. Some people make it a big family tradition though.
2014-12-01 11:56 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Lauren wrote a pretty cool blog post about our race a week ago: http://asklaurenfleshman.com/2014/12/a-return-to-cross-country/

2014-12-01 11:59 AM

User image

Seattle

I had a great weekend!

Hiked in some snow with my friends (furry and human) and got a few fresh turns with my splitboard.

Then had a race on Sunday where I got to race against AND chat with Lauren Fleshman

But regardless of her professional status, Oiselle was unable to unseat our club as Regional Champions and we won the meet. Woop woop!

Ha! And I thought she was shorter than that. I'm 5'4 but she must be like 5'10 or something

Was thinking about this race today. Back under 19 minutes for a 5k even dressed for winter weather. And was a full 4 minutes behind the first two guys. Sheesh.

Awesome, Ben! Glad to hear the speedy folks came out. Did you have anyone to run with or were you in no man's land? 

Running "fast" while all bundled up is no joke. In fact, I am not sure that I could. It's a funny technicality but it's a thing for sure. 

2014-12-01 12:48 PM

Master
Northern IL

I had a great weekend!

Awesome, Ben! Glad to hear the speedy folks came out. Did you have anyone to run with or were you in no man's land? 

Running "fast" while all bundled up is no joke. In fact, I am not sure that I could. It's a funny technicality but it's a thing for sure. 

Thanks! Race Report is up. There was always people around, but lots of space once out of the parking lot. I was just ahead of where people started filling in more. Things really stretched out ahead as the two front guys ran about 14:50. One of them has a 1:04:08 half marathon, which makes the B standard for the marathon trials. Both of these guys also went with shorts, though of the spandex type. I thought about it, but wasn't quite sure.

2014-12-01 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Lauren wrote a pretty cool blog post about our race a week ago: http://asklaurenfleshman.com/2014/12/a-return-to-cross-country/

Did you see this one in RW:

http://t.co/9XCFkBAchs

Pretty interesting stuff...

2014-12-01 3:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Dude...I was at a gay (mostly men) club,  where 50% of them are dressed better than myself and the other 50% are in women's clothes dressed better than myself, surrounded by 12 of my friends.

Ok, most of that was a joke but my point is that things can happen anywhere. 

And although I am expressing my struggles with it all, mostly we can just be aware and cautious and keep doing what we love. The rest of the stuff -life- is unpredictable. 

I get it. 100%. Stuff happens and it often doesn't matter where, who, why, or when. It just happens. But as you stated, we CAN NOT let that stop us. Keep doing what you do.

As a husband and father of 2 girls, well, like a stated earlier, it all saddens me.

On the face of it - I agree that we can't let this stop what we do but in reality until they figure out who did this I'm not going to run over there in the dark and alone anymore. I probably will still run in my neighborhood (which is about 4 miles from the stabbing). I don't really know why but running away from the trail and closer to home somehow makes it feel safer. I will also probably skip the ipod for now too. A lot of the women around here are buddying up to run together instead of alone but so far it's kinda tough finding someone that matches my schedule and pace. I'm still working on it

I'm glad you are taking precautions and still doing your thing. We're having a conversation at work right now about this sort of thing. "Awareness" seems to be a standard talking point. 

How many of us send texts or phone call before and after a workout? TW insists on that from me, just so that she'll feel better about my bike riding. I understood her point before this whole discussion and even more so now.

RoadID has a free app with which you can text alert numerous people (or just one) that you are going out for a ride/run/whatever, and I use it just about every time I go out (every time I bike, without fail, and most of the time when I run).  In the text is a link to see a map of where the athlete is.  The app also has a built in stationary alert (if you chose to use it).  If no movement from a 15' area for 5 minutes, first an alarm sounds to the athlete.  If the athlete doesn't cancel the alarm, a text gets sent to the people (or person) you sent texts to, letting them know you haven't moved in 5 minutes and an updated link of where you are.  It's pretty darn accurate.  We tested it when I first downloaded the app.  This is good for me since I usually ride and run alone, heaven forbid I get hit by a car or have some other problem, at least help can be sent.

Edited by melbo55 2014-12-01 3:49 PM
2014-12-01 3:42 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Excellent. She is the reason I even read anything from RW. Seriously.

"it became a testing ground for courage in the face of adversity. A challenge to show up, even when things are crappy and your dreams are falling apart. Finishing that race in last place was the single proudest moment of my athletic career, and something I never want to experience again."

I love this. And it certainly resonates...

So this weekend my coach sent me an e-mail that basically said, "Welcome back Adrienne"

I finally had a race where I felt like the old me. Hopefully I can channel some of that for the marathon. 

2014-12-01 3:50 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

"it became a testing ground for courage in the face of adversity. A challenge to show up, even when things are crappy and your dreams are falling apart. Finishing that race in last place was the single proudest moment of my athletic career, and something I never want to experience again."

So this weekend my coach sent me an e-mail that basically said, "Welcome back Adrienne"

I finally had a race where I felt like the old me. Hopefully I can channel some of that for the marathon. 

Love this!  Big smiles.

2014-12-01 3:53 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HAPPY POST THANKSGIVING!

I'm doing my part to support the economy by partaking in cyber Monday! WAY better than the hassle of black Friday!

CARRY ON!
2014-12-01 4:47 PM

User image

Denver, CO

YAY!!!  

2014-12-01 4:52 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Proof of life post... and now I have to go.

Hopefully will have time to actually post stuff tomorrow, but until then - I hope you're all doing well!!   

2014-12-01 5:06 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Proof of life post... and now I have to go.

Hopefully will have time to actually post stuff tomorrow, but until then - I hope you're all doing well!!   

YO! Are you going to watch the beer mile on Wednesday!?!?! I'm streaming it

2014-12-01 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I would not be surprised if she retires from the pro ranks and truly begins to search out some other objectives. No matter what, it will be interesting.

2014-12-01 9:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

I would not be surprised if she retires from the pro ranks and truly begins to search out some other objectives. No matter what, it will be interesting.

33 is in Adrienne's AG, right?

2014-12-02 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This time of year always makes me look back at the year in a retrospective light. It has been an interesting one, without a doubt. I should hit 1000 miles on the bike and could hit 575 running. This is a little less than last year, but after the ankle mess I had early in the year, I am quite happy with these numbers. More than that, this year has been another year that I am grateful to have a group of friends that continue to encourage and support each others athletic goals and accomplishments. But not only the athletic side, but even more so, the encouragement to be a better person.  You all have been a blessing and for that I want to say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart!

2014-12-02 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

33 is in Adrienne's AG, right?

Bwaaahahaaaa!  I read this from the bottom up and thought, "That must be Ben." 

And I thought I was in a tough AG!

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 62817 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42057 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72635 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50185 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25569 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.