BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-10-30 2:59 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Alright, I signed up for my first ultra.

Well, it's not really ultra by the definition of being "anything over 26.2" because it's only 25K but it's an unsupported trail run up some big mountains. And I had to go through ultrasignup to register so it sort of counts. 

I'm in a weird spot with my running right now. Obviously I have had some strange setbacks this year...which has been keeping me from a nice clean line of progress. I know that can't really last forever anyway, but it has been a challenge.

I find myself more and more desiring to just run free out in the woods up big mountains. And it kind of scares me, or at least it has me feeling conflicted. As if I am abandoning my original goals. I'm not quire sure how to sort it out. OR what I should do.

I'm definitely going to run CIM in Sacramento Dec. 7. I probably need to set aside any lofty time goals and just run conservatively. But I think I will show up in good enough shape to at least finish the thing. After that I am not sure. I might just do some fun trail-type stuff and then maybe build for another marathon in the spring. Not sure yet.

I guess I don't really know if I have a specific question. I'm just rambling. Maybe feeling a little lost. 

You  are trying to drink in racing/running. Unfortunately, it isn't a water fountain you are drinking from, it is a fire hose.  There are points in life where we must let go and let ourselves find the joy in a lack of focus. There are other points we must focus with a laser like intensity. I think we know which point you are at, so find the joy. Relax and let go. You can even do that and continue to train like the 80 MPW wonder that you are. Goals may evolve, but you are still you.

2014-10-30 4:12 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Thank you guys, for the comforting words. I should really try not to worry about it and enjoy. I've had some incredible experiences in the last few months, without focus.

2014-10-30 4:13 PM

User image

Seattle

Omg, I was just reading this description about the course for the trail race:

Conditions: Seven feet of snow (Well, two anyway).  It was icy and foggy below the tree line and sunny and slippery snow above.  Miles 13-20ish were a combination of deep snow, crusty snow, shallow slush, ice, places that used to be snow, and areas where you wished there was snow to cover up the mud.

Weather:  Blazing sunshine, and nobody brought sunglasses because… Well, why would you?  It’s January in Western Washington!  The temperature inversion meant that taking a rest break on top of Capitol Peak was exactly the same temperature as a purring kitten, while down below it only warmed up later – just in time to rain ice crystals from the trees onto runners returning from the 34-miler.

Warnings: Watch your ankles, and try not to think about all the gunfire.  They’re always shooting there, but very rarely does anyone get hit.

2014-10-30 4:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Conditions: Seven feet of snow (Well, two anyway).  It was icy and foggy below the tree line and sunny and slippery snow above.  Miles 13-20ish were a combination of deep snow, crusty snow, shallow slush, ice, places that used to be snow, and areas where you wished there was snow to cover up the mud.

Weather:  Blazing sunshine, and nobody brought sunglasses because… Well, why would you?  It’s January in Western Washington!  The temperature inversion meant that taking a rest break on top of Capitol Peak was exactly the same temperature as a purring kitten, while down below it only warmed up later – just in time to rain ice crystals from the trees onto runners returning from the 34-miler.

Warnings: Watch your ankles, and try not to think about all the gunfire.  They’re always shooting there, but very rarely does anyone get hit.

You wanted offroad...

Edited by rrrunner 2014-10-30 4:18 PM
2014-10-30 4:21 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Well, it's not really ultra by the definition of being "anything over 26.2" because it's only 25K but it's an unsupported trail run up some big mountains. And I had to go through ultrasignup to register so it sort of counts. 

I'm in a weird spot with my running right now. Obviously I have had some strange setbacks this year...which has been keeping me from a nice clean line of progress. I know that can't really last forever anyway, but it has been a challenge.

I find myself more and more desiring to just run free out in the woods up big mountains. And it kind of scares me, or at least it has me feeling conflicted. As if I am abandoning my original goals. I'm not quire sure how to sort it out. OR what I should do.

I'm definitely going to run CIM in Sacramento Dec. 7. I probably need to set aside any lofty time goals and just run conservatively. But I think I will show up in good enough shape to at least finish the thing. After that I am not sure. I might just do some fun trail-type stuff and then maybe build for another marathon in the spring. Not sure yet.

I guess I don't really know if I have a specific question. I'm just rambling. Maybe feeling a little lost. 

Priorities shift for many reasons, and many of them are intrinsic and tough to pinpoint.  As our lives change, what we find 'valuable' changes, too, speaking from experience, of course, and some shiznit I went through in the past 2 years.  Even little things that we thing shouldn't affect our goals or pasttimes are altered by what our soul is feeling and needing.  Put me in the 'do what makes you happy and feel good' camp, and by all means if that involves running around the woods and up big mountains than so be it.  Life is too short to be unhappy.

2014-10-30 4:25 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hmmm... you did say you wanted adventure and running up big mountains...  just be sure to wear orange to help make sure you won't get shot?? 

2014-10-30 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Ok so everyone who knows me understand that I rarely know what I'm talking about and I'm not at all knowledgable about running and structuring training but here's my two bobs worth.

Why are the two mutually exclusive? If running in the woods and up mountains is what you want to do and it encourages you to run more and brings you peace and happiness then surely doing it is only going to make you want to run more and enjoy running more. Isn't it going to build your fitness and strength just as much as running the streets will, if not more so? Why can't you run your easy runs through the great outdoors and your harder ones at the track, or where else you need to do them? Surely the way to perform your best at races is to get to the start line happy and relaxed, knowing that you have done the work and enjoyed yourself along the way. If you aren't enjoying it generally then why bother doing it?

All that being said you need to do what makes you happy and recharges your soul, so run where you need to run, have fun and the rest will follow. If your goals change then so be it, don't beat yourself up about it, accept that you have grown and changed and other stuff has become more important to you. It doesn't make you a bad person or mean that what you have done in the past has been wasted.
2014-10-30 8:41 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Dangit - I have 3 email addresses, but I can only remember the passwords for 2 of them - so I may or may not have voted twice and then possibly created a new email account to vote a third time.  Maybe.   

Thanks for the reminder about other accounts.  Yanti, you can count on a couple more votes from me.  As they say (whoever "they" are), "Vote early, vote often!"

2014-10-30 9:50 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Hey, I found the new thread!  I was like, why won't it let me post?

Anyhow, I did the follow up visit with the ortho yesterday.  The MRI didn't show any damage.  So the doc said, it's probably "runner's knee" (that's a highly technical term), and that area is where your IT band goes through your knee.  I asked him if that should still be an issue since I was foam rolling regularly.  He said it could last a while.

I don't really know if it's my IT band or not, but the upshot is I'll do a few weeks of PT to sort things out.  The referred me over to sports medicine.  So hopefully I'll be able to make some progress here shortly.  I want to see what they have to say, and whether I should begin a lower-body weightlifting routine to strengthen things up.  (On that note, I had a question about lower body weightlifting get answered on the Endurance Planet podcast right before Kona).

So, yay for no surgery and nothing structurally wrong, but it would have be nice to have this all done and over with.

2014-10-30 9:57 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Given how laser-focused you've been, stepping back from that intensity can be disorienting.  It sounds like you've been rediscovering the reason you got into the sport in the first place, which is that you just enjoy the heck out of running.  Maybe it would help to sort things out if you thought about things like:

• What does the trail running give you that you weren't getting while pursuing your original goals?
  • What motivated you to set those goals in the first place? 
  • How does that motivation fit with who you are now as opposed to who you were when you sent them?
  • If you do continue pursuing your original goals, how will you feel when you've achieved them? (Not how you'll feel in the moment, but how fulfilled you'll feel in retrospect.)
  • What did you plan to do after you achieved them?
  • Who would you be disappointing if you didn't achieve them?  What would be the source of the disappointment?

Sometimes goals just don't make sense anymore and we hold onto them because we don't know what else to do.  Maybe all the setbacks this year have given you the opportunity to step back from the intensity and discover that your favorite sweatshirt has gotten so stretched out of shape that it doesn't fit anymore.  Or maybe you just need a break to recover before you go back to your original plan.  You've had the physical break because of the surgery, etc.; maybe the mental break needs to be longer. 

While you're figuring it out, take a run (or a walk) in the woods, breathe deep, and look around.  Then follow your heart.  You know where you really want to be.

2014-10-30 10:00 PM

User image

Denver, CO

YEEEIIIIIKES!!!  It's obviously not for the faint of heart, so you should fit right in.  Have a blast but try to avoid getting blasted at, okay?

2014-10-30 10:08 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Anyhow, I did the follow up visit with the ortho yesterday.  The MRI didn't show any damage.  So the doc said, it's probably "runner's knee" (that's a highly technical term), and that area is where your IT band goes through your knee.  I asked him if that should still be an issue since I was foam rolling regularly.  He said it could last a while.

I don't really know if it's my IT band or not, but the upshot is I'll do a few weeks of PT to sort things out.  The referred me over to sports medicine.  So hopefully I'll be able to make some progress here shortly.  I want to see what they have to say, and whether I should begin a lower-body weightlifting routine to strengthen things up.  (On that note, I had a question about lower body weightlifting get answered on the Endurance Planet podcast right before Kona).

So, yay for no surgery and nothing structurally wrong, but it would have be nice to have this all done and over with.

x a jillion!!!  I'll admit, though, that it was easier for me to deal with pain after surgery--when I knew I was actually healing up--than it was to deal with chronic pain that just never seemed to resolve.  Hopefully the PT and rest does the trick so you can get back to being a speedster in plenty of time for tri season.  Be sure to ask the person you work with to give you some exercises that you can continue to do or things to watch out for to prevent future recurrences. 

2014-10-31 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Oh yeah, he also gave me a cortisone shot in my knee to calm any inflammation down.  So far that hasn't really had an effect that I can tell.

2014-10-31 7:26 AM

Master
Northern IL

Guessing it's something else that is off, overloading the IT band. So all the foam rolling isn't really going to do much, as you've seen. Hopefully the PT can figure it out.

2014-10-31 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good news!  PT should help you figure out what sort of imbalance may be causing the problem.

2014-10-31 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Oh yeah, he also gave me a cortisone shot in my knee to calm any inflammation down.  So far that hasn't really had an effect that I can tell.

I have found that cortisone shots are hit or miss.  I have had 4 shots for various injuries, 2 worked, 2 didn't.  Of the 2 that worked, one was immediate, complete relief and the other was immediate lessening of the pain and then a gradual continued lessening.  I hope your shot ends up working for you.  

2014-10-31 11:17 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Glad it's nothing structural, Tom.  The pain is frustrating, for sure, but going to a sports medicine oriented PT sounds like solid steps in the right direction.  Patience, grasshopper!

2014-10-31 11:26 AM

User image

Seattle

That's great news. Be sure to keep up with the PT and you'll make a lot of progress.

I've read a lot about the IT band, and how since it's just thick fascia, it can't be stretched. And that really the way to address IT issues is to work on strengthening the muscles opposite. So rolling doesn't really do what you think. It might promote some blood flow but that may be better to do again, in the supporting areas.

Just a thought. 

2014-10-31 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

SO happy that the MRI didn't show any damage which means no surgery = YAY!   Good luck with the PT, and for the cortisone shots - I know a few people that have had them done and they can be a bit hit or miss depending on if they got the needle into right spot.  

Sending speedy recovery vibes your way!  

2014-10-31 11:51 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

And lawyers...so, I don't really know anything about the process. After sentencing what happens? 

And would one have any other reason to stay in jail than not being able to afford bail?

2014-10-31 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

And lawyers...so, I don't really know anything about the process. After sentencing what happens? 

And would one have any other reason to stay in jail than not being able to afford bail?

Sentencing closes the case.  Then he has to serve whatever sentence that may be.  If he is sent to prison, there are some administrative things that take place before he is transferred from the jail to prison.  A geeky legal point - jail is a county holding facility where people are held awaiting trail or serving sentences of less than a year.  Prison's are state facilities where sentenced people serve time a year or more.  Anyway, if his sentence only calls for probation or community control (house arrest), he will be processed for that and start his sentence.

Assuming he pleads to the charge (so, no trial), the only other possible event after sentencing is a restitution hearing.  Many times restitution is set at time of sentencing, but since your bills are still to be determined, you will probably have a hearing.

I tried to look up the case, but King COunty's clerk's website stinks!  So, what's the status?

2014-10-31 12:12 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

Sentencing closes the case.  Then he has to serve whatever sentence that may be.  If he is sent to prison, there are some administrative things that take place before he is transferred from the jail to prison.  A geeky legal point - jail is a county holding facility where people are held awaiting trail or serving sentences of less than a year.  Prison's are state facilities where sentenced people serve time a year or more.  Anyway, if his sentence only calls for probation or community control (house arrest), he will be processed for that and start his sentence.

Assuming he pleads to the charge (so, no trial), the only other possible event after sentencing is a restitution hearing.  Many times restitution is set at time of sentencing, but since your bills are still to be determined, you will probably have a hearing.

I tried to look up the case, but King COunty's clerk's website stinks!  So, what's the status?

Ugh sorry. I messed that up. Not sentencing. Arraignment. He was arraigned two weeks ago. I haven't heard anything since via my case manager at the crime victims unit which means nothing has probably happened since.

http://ingress.kingcounty.gov/inmatelookup/interimResults.aspx?ba=214026796&bt=

It doesn't really tell you much...

2014-10-31 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ugh sorry. I messed that up. Not sentencing. Arraignment. He was arraigned two weeks ago. I haven't heard anything since via my case manager at the crime victims unit which means nothing has probably happened since.

Arraignment is the start of the case.  It is where he is told of the formal charges brought by the District Attorney and, if he hasn't gotten one already, asked if he can afford an attorney or wants a public defender.  He also enters his plea.  99.99% of the time, a person pleas not guilty at this stage.  From that point on the State will engage in the discovery process with the defense, e.g, give the defense all the police reports, witness statements, defendant's statement (if any), medical reports etc.  If the defense has any witness or anything it intends to use at trial - other than the defendant himself, they have to turn that over to the State.  Each side then takes depositions of the other's witnesses -again, other than defendant.  Depending upon the issues in the case, there may be pre-trial motions the court has to decide, e.g., if the defendant confessed, the defense will want to try to keep it out of evidence, so they will look to see if they can make any straight-faced argument that his Miranda rights were violated.  There will be a hearing to determine whether they were.  That is just an example, there are many other potential arguments the sides may have that the judge will have to resolve.  The next automatic court hearing should be a pre-trail conference.  Each jurisdiction differs a bit, but generally, this is where the sides tell the court if they are ready for trial or whether bad guy is going to enter a plea of guilty or no contest to the charge.  In my area, for serious felony charges, the defense usually says they are not ready for trial and ask for a continuance so they can continue taking depositions or talking to experts etc.  If that happens, another pre-trial conference date is set.  Some cases can take years to get to trial.  Remember the Casey Anthony case?  THat took almost 3 years before it went to trial.  That is longer than most and did involve a murder charge, so I'm sure your case will be resolved much sooner.

If he enters a plea, he will be sentenced per the plea agreement he has with the State.  I'm not sure what your jurisdiction does, but here sentencing is usually done the same day as the plea is entered.  Sometimes it is put off for various reasons.

Regarding why someone would stay in jail rather than post bail; there could be a few reasons, to include if he knows he's going to get time he may want to stay there because all the time he sits in jail awaiting sentencing will count for that sentencing, so by the time he actually gets sentenced he could have a good chunk already done.  Some people will do this coming up to the holidays b/c if he pleads, say in early December and expects like a 6 month sentence he could have completed the sentence at time of sentencing so he'll be out for the holidays.  Another reason may be he has a hold from another jurisdiction or case and can't get out.

Hope the above makes sense.  If not, let me know !!

2014-10-31 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Arraignment is the start of the case.  It is where he is told of the formal charges brought by the District Attorney and, if he hasn't gotten one already, asked if he can afford an attorney or wants a public defender.  He also enters his plea.  99.99% of the time, a person pleas not guilty at this stage.  From that point on the State will engage in the discovery process with the defense, e.g, give the defense all the police reports, witness statements, defendant's statement (if any), medical reports etc.  If the defense has any witness or anything it intends to use at trial - other than the defendant himself, they have to turn that over to the State.  Each side then takes depositions of the other's witnesses -again, other than defendant.  Depending upon the issues in the case, there may be pre-trial motions the court has to decide, e.g., if the defendant confessed, the defense will want to try to keep it out of evidence, so they will look to see if they can make any straight-faced argument that his Miranda rights were violated.  There will be a hearing to determine whether they were.  That is just an example, there are many other potential arguments the sides may have that the judge will have to resolve.  The next automatic court hearing should be a pre-trail conference.  Each jurisdiction differs a bit, but generally, this is where the sides tell the court if they are ready for trial or whether bad guy is going to enter a plea of guilty or no contest to the charge.  In my area, for serious felony charges, the defense usually says they are not ready for trial and ask for a continuance so they can continue taking depositions or talking to experts etc.  If that happens, another pre-trial conference date is set.  Some cases can take years to get to trial.  Remember the Casey Anthony case?  THat took almost 3 years before it went to trial.  That is longer than most and did involve a murder charge, so I'm sure your case will be resolved much sooner.

If he enters a plea, he will be sentenced per the plea agreement he has with the State.  I'm not sure what your jurisdiction does, but here sentencing is usually done the same day as the plea is entered.  Sometimes it is put off for various reasons.

Regarding why someone would stay in jail rather than post bail; there could be a few reasons, to include if he knows he's going to get time he may want to stay there because all the time he sits in jail awaiting sentencing will count for that sentencing, so by the time he actually gets sentenced he could have a good chunk already done.  Some people will do this coming up to the holidays b/c if he pleads, say in early December and expects like a 6 month sentence he could have completed the sentence at time of sentencing so he'll be out for the holidays.  Another reason may be he has a hold from another jurisdiction or case and can't get out.

Hope the above makes sense.  If not, let me know !!

Clear as mud! Nah, it seems to make sense. I was thinking maybe he was staying in for that reason. Also, he's in the military...er was, so, he might not be in a hurry to get back to work.  

I should say, I don't know how they handle things like this. Technically he's not guilty, yet. But he has been awol, right? 

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-10-31 12:50 PM
2014-10-31 1:20 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Rarely. Those are good odds

Tom - great news on the MRI. Finding a good PT is ten times better than a good ortho! Find a runner/triathlete type and he'll fix you right up (well, not RIGHT up.....).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 62838 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42082 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72637 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50207 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25576 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.