General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Philly Marathon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-29 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Subject: Anyone doing the Philly Marathon?
I am doing my first Philly not being from the area I was curious about the course
If anyone has a Garmin file I would love to see it.

2014-10-29 11:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Anyone doing the Philly Marathon?

No Garmin file for you.  Great course for the most part with good fan suport along much of the route (and relatively easy for family/support group to see you several times during the first half of the course with a modest amount of walking on their part).  Most would describe the course as relatively flat and fast and I think that's accurate.

This is mostly from memory, but I know the course reasonably well:

First 7 miles are pretty flat, running through downtown city streets.  Toughest part is watching for the congestion of runners while paying attention to lurking potholes you may have to navigate.  First hill is a little after mile 7 as you head up 34th Street in University City.  It's not very steep but does last for a bit.  Typically, the students are fairly lively which helps to get you through it.  And it's still early in the race, too.  You get that elevation back pretty quickly in the next mile before doing a shorter, but steeper, climb as you head up into Fairmount Park in mile 9.  Again, you give the elevation back very quickly as you head back down to the river after mile 10.  You are pretty flat agin for awhile (slight rise coming back to the Art Museum for the half-way point).  In some years, just after you round the Museum, the course would take a quick loop away from Boat House Row into Fairmount Park which did entail another short, steep hill.  But I think this has been replaced by a quick loop across the Falls Bridge later.  That loop is all flat.  So, past the Museaum, you stay relatively flat along the river until a very gradual climb into Manayunk (maybe ~mile 18 or so).  There, you turn around near 20mi and get a little bit of downhill to ease you into the final 10k. (and you can usually grab a beer from the fans there if you need one!).  There may be one small climb before you get back to the river as the route out of Manayunk is slightly different than the route in, but it is basically flat from here.  There is a VERY modest incline during the final mile as you come off Boat House Row and get to the finish.  Most days you run it, you'd say it was flat.  After 25+mi you feel every inch of rise. 

Edited by JohnnyKay 2014-10-29 11:37 AM
2014-10-29 11:38 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Regular
Doing the half this year. A map with elevation changes is available on the website.
2014-10-29 1:01 PM
in reply to: triguy1043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Yeah I have looked at the website but like John said it says flat and fast but the elevation map looks like a SAW dispute the now being much of a change
2014-10-29 1:38 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by triguy1043 Yeah I have looked at the website but like John said it says flat and fast but the elevation map looks like a SAW dispute the now being much of a change

I just checked out the profile.  It may look like a saw, but notice that the peak elevation isn't even 150ft.  Lots of those saw tooths are pretty small and it will seem flat when you are running.  I think I got most of the 'noticeable' ones above.  Good luck!

2014-10-29 1:41 PM

User image

Exton, PA
I'm running it this year, I've never run it before but have been on all the roads in the past either car-bike-or foot. Mostly flat with a couple hills.

2014-10-29 7:40 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

No Garmin file for you.  Great course for the most part with good fan suport along much of the route (and relatively easy for family/support group to see you several times during the first half of the course with a modest amount of walking on their part).  Most would describe the course as relatively flat and fast and I think that's accurate.

This is mostly from memory, but I know the course reasonably well:

First 7 miles are pretty flat, running through downtown city streets.  Toughest part is watching for the congestion of runners while paying attention to lurking potholes you may have to navigate.  First hill is a little after mile 7 as you head up 34th Street in University City.  It's not very steep but does last for a bit.  Typically, the students are fairly lively which helps to get you through it.  And it's still early in the race, too.  You get that elevation back pretty quickly in the next mile before doing a shorter, but steeper, climb as you head up into Fairmount Park in mile 9.  Again, you give the elevation back very quickly as you head back down to the river after mile 10.  You are pretty flat agin for awhile (slight rise coming back to the Art Museum for the half-way point).  In some years, just after you round the Museum, the course would take a quick loop away from Boat House Row into Fairmount Park which did entail another short, steep hill.  But I think this has been replaced by a quick loop across the Falls Bridge later.  That loop is all flat.  So, past the Museaum, you stay relatively flat along the river until a very gradual climb into Manayunk (maybe ~mile 18 or so).  There, you turn around near 20mi and get a little bit of downhill to ease you into the final 10k. (and you can usually grab a beer from the fans there if you need one!).  There may be one small climb before you get back to the river as the route out of Manayunk is slightly different than the route in, but it is basically flat from here.  There is a VERY modest incline during the final mile as you come off Boat House Row and get to the finish.  Most days you run it, you'd say it was flat.  After 25+mi you feel every inch of rise. 

I've run it three times and this is a very excellent description of it. I love the course and have PRed there each time I've run it.
2014-10-30 5:09 AM
in reply to: #5063743

Ran this the last two years- one thing to look forward to is the descent into the little town of Manayunk at around 20 miles- these people are off the wall! Very much needed support at that point- there is a mile or so of a gradual incline on the way out do be prepared for that. Overall a great race especially if you happen to get a glimpse of the leaders when you are running along the lake front and they are on thier way home. Very easy for family to catch you multiple times due to the layout- my wife was able to find me 3 times sling the route- at mile 1, by the zoo and again at mile 16/17, then plenty of room on both sides at the finish. Don't forget to take your picture on the steps of the museum rocky style after! Enjoy and best of luck!
2014-10-30 2:17 PM
in reply to: #5063974

User image

Signed up last night. Better amp up the runs a bit.

I have to figure out logistics. Got a room out by the airport and just need to figure out the sempta thing so I make it to the start in time. Any advice is appreciated.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Philly Marathon? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone run the Philly Tri?

Started by Axis of Weasel
Views: 968 Posts: 9

2011-06-06 1:55 PM wannanorseman

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Anyone doing the San Diegutio Half Marathon????

Started by BADNEWSC
Views: 657 Posts: 2

2007-02-10 8:28 PM iwantotri

Anyone live in Philly?

Started by Stake
Views: 803 Posts: 9

2007-01-17 9:06 AM JohnnyKay

Honolulu Marathon - anyone done it?

Started by Konabound
Views: 778 Posts: 4

2006-03-08 11:13 PM magic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : October 13, 2009
comments : 0
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"