General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Looking to make a big step Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-29 10:59 AM

User image

Geneseo, New York
Subject: Looking to make a big step
Hi! My name is Erica & I'm from Geneseo, NY. I have been getting back into shape after a couple years off due to knee issues. I started with rowing, but it became very expensive. I was also running, cycling, & doing limited lifting. I have ran a couple 5k's & just completed a duathlon (2/10/2 distance). I have been very motivated by my results. Before my knee issues, I had done a few sprint triathlons.

I would like to compete in sprint triathlons again. Also, I would like to do Olympic distances & possibly a Half Ironman. I was looking to possibly do the Half Ironman in Syracuse, NY on June 21, 2015. Is this too big of a task to be ready for with 8 months to train? Everything I read is scary & sometimes confusing when it comes to training, lifting, & eating. I'm not even sure how to begin. For the duathlon & triathlons I followed simple training plans. I bought the book "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" hoping for some help, but it is so complex to me.

I guess I'm hoping to find some answers & some support. I feel I'm totally alone since I have no one around me at this point I can use for information & support. Are my goals to big right now (especially for the 70.3 distance)? I can easily run at a 10 min. pace for an hour. I can bike for 1 - 1.5 hours. My weakness right now is swimming. I haven't done any swimming in a few years, but would like to get started ASAP.

Thank you for any & all advice!

2014-10-29 7:13 PM
in reply to: eshine9

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Looking to make a big step

Welcome to BT Erica. You're right, there is a lot of info out there, and sometimes it seems like you are drinking it in from a firehose. It's tough to say if a HIM is too big, as it depends on you. A few things to ask yourself:

1. Are you looking to compete or complete?
  2. Are you ready to commit to a training schedule that could include some fairly long (2-3) hour days?
  3. Will the base you've built from your earlier training get you off on the right foot?

Here's the good news:

1.  You're on this site with a bunch of resources that can help you.
  2.  You have 8 months to get ready if that is what you decide to do.

So, take some time to figure out where you are and what your goals are. Try to break the information into managable chunks to avoid overload. If you want to get more help from some knowledgable folks, check out some of the mentor forums, there are some smart and supportive people in there. And most of all, have fun with it! Enjoy the journey. 

2014-11-01 1:12 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Geneseo, New York
Thanks for the info Chris! I do need to break things down a bit more. I'm so concerned about the larger goals and I need to focus on the journey to get there. I've been very excited to get back to where I was 4 years ago before my knee problems. I need to take small steps and enjoy the journey.
2014-11-01 1:12 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Geneseo, New York
Thanks for the info Chris! I do need to break things down a bit more. I'm so concerned about the larger goals and I need to focus on the journey to get there. I've been very excited to get back to where I was 4 years ago before my knee problems. I need to take small steps and enjoy the journey.
2014-11-05 9:28 AM
in reply to: eshine9

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to BT Erica,

BT is good, but also look for a local club.  I've been involved in clubs in Illinois and North Carolina. and I've been on BT for 9 years now.  

You most certainly CAN be prepared for a HIM in 8 months.  I did two sprints in 2005 and signed up for a HIM as my main race in 2006.  

Train to avoid injury and then race based on your training.  If you've had knee problems, running may be a challenge.  Race walk if running continues to hurt your knees.  We had a guy in the Illinois club that walked the "run" portion of IMmoo one year and he still finished sub-14.  He'd put on a pair of hiking boots and a cat-in-the-hat ensemble and walk and wave, walk and wave.  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Looking to make a big step Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Talking the big step

Started by Zorr68
Views: 736 Posts: 4

2009-08-05 2:55 PM Zorr68

big guy trying not to be so much of a big guy

Started by salleytl
Views: 891 Posts: 5

2009-01-07 11:31 AM lkagop

Big Step

Started by Icandoit!
Views: 690 Posts: 11

2006-01-17 10:45 AM Icandoit!

Next step is to TRI

Started by Demps7
Views: 946 Posts: 4

2004-01-02 9:57 PM Michael

Set a big goal...now I need big help

Started by Irongirl
Views: 1485 Posts: 11

2003-10-08 10:22 PM Irongirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.