General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Glass for indoor trainning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-29 7:04 PM

Subject: Best Glass for indoor trainning
Hi everyone, i'm looking for a good glass. I found two good models by costumers and reviews. The first one is: Aqua Sphere KAYENNE GOGGLE. and the second one is AQUA SPHERE Mask Seal XP. The price is very closed. Which one is the best for indoor trainning? I saw that the Mask is more confortable, but i'm afraid because look more heavy than other. Please help me. Sorry for my bad english. I'm learning. Thanks.

2014-10-29 7:59 PM
in reply to: rodrigoodin

User image

Subject: RE: Best Glass for indoor trainning
Glass = goggles? I hope they aren't made of glass.
2014-10-29 8:19 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hi Rodrigoodin - welcome to BT!

You will find that a lot of triathletes swim in various models of aquasphere goggles. They are especially good for open water swimming, so most just use them in the pool as well. The seal mask is really big, but you will find it to be comfortable. You probably want something a little smaller though. I find the Keyanne to be Ok, but the triangular shape hits the top of my cheeks funny. The Kaiman is somewhat smaller, but also has a broad nose bridge, (I have a large nose!) and fits me just right. I use them both inside and out. Goggles come in all shapes and sizes - what some folks will find to be perfect others will find to be terrible - you may find yourself going through several brands and styles before you find one that fits perfectly.

2014-10-30 6:31 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Sorry dear, i'm learning. Thanks.
2014-10-30 6:36 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Thanks Rusty. So, I agree with you Googles is very personal. But i can't try the two models. For this reason, i decide to ask and read and see review on the internet. I tried yesterday the kayene and i really like a lot. But is the same price of the mask (on my country) and the mask i read that more confortable and i will can swim at the sea too. So, i think buy the mask. And in the future i can buy the Kayene and use both. What do you think? I'm very grateful for your advice. Thanks for all.
2014-10-30 6:43 AM

User image

Exton, PA
many actual swimmers use Swedes. They cost about $3 a pair, you assembly them yourself. there is no gasket they sit on the eye socket, it takes about 2 weeks to get used to them.

2014-10-30 8:09 AM
in reply to: mike761

Thanks for the tip, dear. I like solutions for save money and this can be one. But what do you think about the used. It is difficulty to put the googles and fit well? My doubt is.. In trainning (begginer like me) have to rest and get out the googles some times, it will be possible to take off and put in many times? (sorry i don't know if i make myself clear)... Feel free to request some aditional information about the doubt. Thanks.
2014-10-30 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
The Swedes will come in five pieces:
(2) google cups
(1) tiny little string
(1) tiny plastic tube
(1) long elastic strap

You will use the string to tie the two goggle cups together at a width that fits your face. The tiny plastic tube can be used to go around the string and make it more comfortable against your nose, but is completely optional. My fingers are bigger and I have a hard time tying everything together. After that all you need to do is use the elastic strap to make the band that goes around your head and adjust it to fit - this can be easily done in your first swim with the goggles to make sure you get a fit that works for you.
2014-10-30 8:28 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by CycloneVM

The Swedes will come in five pieces:
(2) google cups
(1) tiny little string
(1) tiny plastic tube
(1) long elastic strap

You will use the string to tie the two goggle cups together at a width that fits your face. The tiny plastic tube can be used to go around the string and make it more comfortable against your nose, but is completely optional. My fingers are bigger and I have a hard time tying everything together. After that all you need to do is use the elastic strap to make the band that goes around your head and adjust it to fit - this can be easily done in your first swim with the goggles to make sure you get a fit that works for you.

Just cut an 1 1/2 inch piece of the elastic off and use that for the nose piece. You just pull the elastic to tighten, makes things easy.
2014-10-30 4:22 PM

The simplest test is to push them against your face and see if they stick there without the using the elastic band. That will tell you if they are a good fit for the shape of your face.

If you plan to dive, smaller glasses have lesser chances of getting knocked off. If not, my personal preference is the same as open water. They are larger than indoor goggles and apply much less pressure on your face which makes them much more confortable.

Don't worry too much about your English, mine is just as equally bad! Even with autocorrect, I keep wondering if people answer my posts because they are nice or because understand what I write...
2014-10-30 5:23 PM

I LOVE the Swedes. No, I am not old-school, and I really thought gaskets were the only way to go for awhile - until they invariably start leaking on your after 2-3 months of use. 

With the Swedes, once you get the right fit (which isn't hard with the right setup), no more leaks. Even when used for years. It's great. 

I will add that for the Swedish goggles, I consider buying a separate 'bungee cord strap' to replace the regular headstrap very, very helpful, as it will have a toggle switch on the bungee cord that allows you to precisely control how tight the goggles are on your face, so you can go tighter for race day, or lighter for long solo endurance pool sessions. The bungee+the actual Goggles typically together run <$10, or 50% the cost of a Speedo at retail.

2014-10-30 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Masks suck. Anything that fits inside the eye socket is better. Swedes are my preference.
2014-10-30 10:37 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I actually use Aquasphere Kayennes for both pool and open water swims. I love them for my triathlon swims, I have worn them for 3 years now, from Sprint to 70.3 races. I think they'll last longer if you rinse them after pool swims to get as much chlorine out as you can.
2014-10-31 8:49 AM
in reply to: reecealan

Originally posted by reecealan

I actually use Aquasphere Kayennes for both pool and open water swims. I love them for my triathlon swims, I have worn them for 3 years now, from Sprint to 70.3 races. I think they'll last longer if you rinse them after pool swims to get as much chlorine out as you can.

I use the same and I love them.

That said, verify the fit on your face. When you buy goggles, open the box and try them before buying them to verify the fit. The brand should come in second.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Glass for indoor trainning Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best Indoor bike Trainer for under $150.

Started by NCCRunner
Views: 7241 Posts: 13

2011-11-09 1:47 PM vmaldonado111

Stationary Indoor Bike - whats good?

Started by gilda25
Views: 870 Posts: 6

2010-08-30 4:55 PM Cuse_Fan

best glasses? Pages: 1 2

Started by tat2
Views: 3020 Posts: 39

2010-07-22 7:58 PM jfergus7

Glass, Glass Everywhere!

Started by KSlostStar
Views: 789 Posts: 4

2006-04-24 12:34 AM KSlostStar

Planning a seasons trainning with Triathletes trainning bible - Problem

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1088 Posts: 6

2004-10-01 8:47 PM owie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
How is water used in the body? Is bottled water better? Should I drink 8 glasses of water a day?

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.