General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Denver Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Denver Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 18m 51s
Overall Rank = 4701/8146
Age Group = 45-49W
Age Group Rank = 183/420
Pre-race routine:

DS2 and I got in to town just in time to hit the expo before it closed. We walked the expo a little bit. I was hoping to get my race nutrition at the expo but PowerBar only had their solid food with them... 'cause that's helpful for a running race! So after the expo DS2 and I went to Whole Foods to get breakfast and hoped to find some better race options. No dice on the gels so I would have to use the Shot Blocks I brought with me. Not an awful choice but they are hard for me to chew during a race.

Then it was off to the pre-race dinner at Beau Jo's pizza with DS2 and Laffinrock and her DH. It was nice to "catch up" with her (hadn't seen her in nearly a month!) and relax and think about something other than the race. After dinner DS2 and I scoped out our route to the train then headed to the hotel to get a good night's sleep.

At the expo I also picked up a phone/nutrition carrier belt because my phone had been "boucy" in my arm band the last couple runs. I was unsure about using it for the race but thought I could try it a bit and check for bouncy-ness beforehand.

Before bed I laid out all of my gear and set the alarm for 4:15, much to DS2's dimay. He doesn't like getting to races early but as long as he's running with me that's the way it'll be.

The alarm went off and I got up and dressed. I ate a bagel thin with some almond butter and a hotel-room coffee. The newly purchased belt didn't fit over my oversized RnR bib and although it had bib hooks the bib would hand down far too low so I went with my "old" arm band and the trusty safety pins.

We got to the train and got on with a few other runners. We discussed needing to switch trains to get to the terminal downtown, closest to the race. So at the Auraria Station several of us got off the train (to the confused looks of those who stayed on the train) and waited for the train that would get us to the race. Once we finally arrived downtown we walked the few blocks to City Center Park. The first order of business was the porta-john lines. Once we were done there we scouted out the gear check where DS2 parted with his outer layer of clothes (I was wearing and old sweatshirt I could discard). Then we made it to our corral just as the wheelchair racers took off. Then we had the national anthem, then the few corrals before us, then go time!
Event warmup:

I really wanted to get some warm up done before this race but there wasn't time. We barely got to our corral as the race was starting.
Run
  • 2h 18m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off feeling great! I had grabbed a 2:15 timing bracelet at the expo and planned to use it as a rough guide. I logged the first couple miles way faster than the guide, which was nice to have "in the bank" but I didn't want to blow up either so I slowed my row a bit for mile 3. I was eating a shot block every 2 miles without too much trouble. I hate that I have to chew those with my mouth open though, so rude.

We wound our way past Bronco's stadium and around Sloan's Lake. Laffinrock said that she'd be at the north end of the lake so I started to watch for her. Oddly, though, I got distracted from watching for her and was pleasantly surprised when I heard her cheering. I ran over for a quick hug and told her I was feeling great. Which was true... for about another mile.

I don't know if it was the pavement, or the canted lanes on the road but during the 7th mile my calves, yes both, started to tighten. I tried to maintain my pace as best I could because everything else still felt pretty good but the calves got louder and louder as the miles clicked by. I'd been walking the water stops because I am not good at drinking on the run, so I continued that practice but was able to keep "running" otherwise.

I'd set up the athlete tracker to text me (and DH) when DS2 and I passed the checkpoints. So every 5k or so I got a pleasant beep that indicated that either DS2 or I had passed a mark. It was nice having those. DS2 had a DNF at this race last year so I was awesome to hear him continue to get further and further in front of me, and to finish!

My finish was less than ideal, but I'll take it considering the fact that I had so much down time this year because of the IT Band issue.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe run the middle of the street (top of the hill) like DS2 thought to do. Not have injuries. I should have turned my focus to RnR after my August tri instead of continuing with the group training.
Post race
Warm down:

Found DS2, got our gear, got some finisher shirts, took the train back to the hotel, then pigged out at IHOP, then BBQ, then Sushi :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury, non-run-focused training

Event comments:

I enjoy the RnR series. The bands every mile or so are great and the supporters lining the streets of Denver are wonderful.

Last updated: 2014-07-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:51 | 13.1 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/420
Overall: 0/8146
Performance: Average
1) 9:56 2)9:55 3) 10:24 4) 10:28 5) 10:32 6) 10:25 7) 11:09 8) 10:18 9) 10:13 10) 11:06 11) 10:41 12) 11:05 13) 11:06 14) 1:31 Max HR 186 Ave HR 173 Gender was 2608 out of 5283
Course: Winding our way through the city streets of Downtown Denver
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-30 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Denver Half Marathon

2014-10-30 1:31 PM
in reply to: #5064102

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Denver Half Marathon

Really nice race!

1. If you like the concept of the shot blocks but can't stand how hard they are to chew try out the PowerBar blasts. They are awesome. 

2. Wasn't someone in the Manatees saying that hotel coffee machines are often contaminated with meth or something? Just wondering

3.That is super cool you could hear the beeps of DS2's progress

4. Go Seahawks

2014-10-30 1:45 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Really nice race!

1. If you like the concept of the shot blocks but can't stand how hard they are to chew try out the PowerBar blasts. They are awesome. 

2. Wasn't someone in the Manatees saying that hotel coffee machines are often contaminated with meth or something? Just wondering

3.That is super cool you could hear the beeps of DS2's progress

4. Go Seahawks

1) I'll look for the Blasts, thanks for the tip

2) That would be Hands, and yes, it crossed my mind but the SBux aren't open that early on a Sunday and I NEED my pre-race coffee!

3) Hearing him at each checkpoint sure lifted my spirits

4) I'm sorry

2014-10-30 4:28 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Glad you made it to the finish line without irritating existing injuries too badly, but I'm sorry to hear they were aggravating you and keeping you from the race you wanted.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: I LOVE how you and your sons race together!  Congrats to you both!

I second PowerBar blasts, the cola are my fave!!

2014-10-31 11:05 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Glad you made it to the finish line without irritating existing injuries too badly, but I'm sorry to hear they were aggravating you and keeping you from the race you wanted.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: I LOVE how you and your sons race together!  Congrats to you both!

I second PowerBar blasts, the cola are my fave!!

I looked up the Blasts. Turns out I've used them, just didn't know that's what they were called. Other than the center, I find them to be just as chewey, if not more chewey, then the Shot Blocks

2014-11-02 10:38 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

TJ, I'm sure that many people were offended by your open-mouthed chewing during the race.   Seriously, it looks like you had a pretty good race, despite the calf cramps.  I'm really proud of you for keeping up the pace you did!!  Yes, it was slower than last year, but you had a good time and now you know that you need to do more run-focused training beforehand.  Always a learning game, right?  Glad you had a chance to do some protein loading afterwards too.  I had no idea that IHOP had sushi!!

It was great to see both you and DS2 beforehand and to get the update texts while you were on course.  I'm really glad you came over to give me a hug.  I got so carried away cheering for everyone that I'm not sure I'd have seen you if you hadn't come over to me!!  I actually missed several other people that I knew were running the race. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Denver Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock 'N' Roll Denver Half Marathon

Started by rrrunner
Views: 1243 Posts: 7

2013-10-23 3:36 PM blueyedbikergirl

Rock 'n' Roll Denver Half Marathon

Started by bgeist111
Views: 684 Posts: 1

2013-07-06 6:28 AM bgeist111

Started by hockeyspiral
Views: 769 Posts: 1

2012-09-23 12:42 PM hockeyspiral

Started by Jane4Yoga
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2011-10-13 7:53 PM Jane4Yoga

Started by KirkD
Views: 1277 Posts: 2

2010-10-20 5:30 PM COSkiGirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.