General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chocolate milk for recovery ? yes or no Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-11-02 2:18 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: chocolate milk for recovery ? yes or no
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by Martine1975 Countries where people drink the most milk, the people suffer the most from osteoporosis.

Can you provide references to back up this statement?  

Excessive calcium intake might be related to some increase in osteoporosis...

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/#cal...

http://www.4.waisays.com/ExcessiveCalcium.htm

2014-11-02 11:09 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Champion
Originally posted by metafizx

Originally posted by Martine1975 Countries where people drink the most milk, the people suffer the most from osteoporosis.

In the absence of vit D mainly. Calcium is ++ complicated and the data available is varied when you segregate out outcomes. Supplement based calcium vs dietary is a debate going on and on. Most preventative health literature is recommending upping dietary sources rather than taking supplements due to increased risk of CV disease and fracture-- I believe this data is very much focused on women vs both men/women. The literature does not currently support that increased dietary calcium is related to these same risks.
2014-11-03 5:56 AM
in reply to: mndymond

New user
Key West
Originally posted by mndymond

Originally posted by metafizx

In the absence of vit D mainly. Calcium is ++ complicated and the data available is varied when you segregate out outcomes. Supplement based calcium vs dietary is a debate going on and on. Most preventative health literature is recommending upping dietary sources rather than taking supplements due to increased risk of CV disease and fracture-- I believe this data is very much focused on women vs both men/women. The literature does not currently support that increased dietary calcium is related to these same risks.

^^What she said. The studies are focused on supplemental calcium not what we can get through our regular diets. I had osteopenia for years (since my 30's) which turned to osteoporosis in my late 50's after letting a doctor tell me I needed to stop hormone replacement treatment. So then they pushed all of the awful osteoporosis meds and a high level of calcium supplements. I, thankfully, couldn't take the meds and decided to take control of my own health. Cut back on calcium supplements as I eat a lot in my diet and increased my running and upper body weight bearing exercises and now my bone density has improved. Anyway, still don't drink cow's milk, but get plenty of dietary calcium through other foods. Vitamin D is not an issue down here in the Keys. Plenty of that when you walk out of your house.
2014-11-03 6:32 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by gsmacleod

I believe it was an addendum to this study: http://www.venganza.org/images/spreadword/pchart1.jpgShane

LOL!  Got me!

2014-11-05 8:20 AM
in reply to: metafizx

I have been drinking chocolate milk for recovery for almost 2 years, Love it!
2014-11-06 11:47 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

New user
Chocolate coconut milk - yeah (then a real meal ASAP). Cow chocolate milk is usually a little heavy for me right after a long/hot/tough workout.

2014-11-07 6:51 PM
in reply to: Jarredscycling

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jarredscycling

I have been drinking chocolate milk for recovery for almost 2 years, Love it!

Four years for me. Love it. A little swig out of the bottle also helps keep away late night cravings. I drink the low fat version.
2014-11-09 6:18 PM
in reply to: Duanerice

Yes.

I normally don't want to eat for 45-90 minutes after a workout, which is contrary to good recovery habits everybody espouses. So I drink a cup of chocolate milk while rehydrating.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chocolate milk for recovery ? yes or no Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Chocolate Milk or Chocolate Soy Milk for Recovery Pages: 1 2

Started by danjstark
Views: 8926 Posts: 38

2010-12-31 12:16 PM zitamezei

Chocolate milk v. Chocolate soy milk Pages: 1 2

Started by JBrashear
Views: 2806 Posts: 47

2010-02-02 5:17 PM Kido

Represent your recovery drink (styles of chocolate milk) Pages: 1 2

Started by TexTriGuy
Views: 3051 Posts: 40

2009-04-28 2:04 PM kcovert1

Chocolate Milk Post Recovery, Was This OK? Pages: 1 2

Started by Mirg
Views: 2656 Posts: 43

2008-08-21 11:19 AM getbustered

Endurox, Powerbar Recovery or Chocolate Milk?

Started by danceswithducks
Views: 2186 Posts: 16

2007-07-04 5:04 AM tri-umph
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : April 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Lose weight by eating chocolate for breakfast. Refuel after your workouts not with a sports drink, but instead with chocolate milk.
date : August 10, 2010
comments : 3
Is chocolate healthy? Is it little more than an alluring form of refined sugar, saturated fat and empty calories? Or does chocolate have positive qualities to help athletes?

date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussion on chocolate milk for recovery after workouts and Ironman bike fueling.
date : December 12, 2009
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.

date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : August 8, 2008
Discussion on nutrition to lose weight while training for sprints, chocolate milk for recovery, daily calorie breakdown, fruits and bike nutrition.