General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raced HM 4 days ago, just signed up for another HM in 31 days... How to prepare? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-31 12:23 AM

User image

Subject: Raced HM 4 days ago, just signed up for another HM in 31 days... How to prepare?

My race last Sunday was supposed to be my last race of the year, however I just came across this other race and I want to do it.

So any advice on how best to prepare for this race?

This upcoming race is where I run 4-5 days a week so I know the course very well, and I am very confident that I can PR on this course.   ...If I show up properly prepared.

I raced my last race pretty hard and I'm still sore (took the last 3 days off, ran today: definitely still some soreness and fatigue in my legs), so what is the best way to prepare for my next race?

Take it easy for the next week and a half to recover, then 2 weeks hard training, then 1 week taper?

Or hard the next 3 1/2 weeks then 1 week taper?

Or moderate training for the next 3 weeks then taper?

Or? 

2014-10-31 8:02 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Raced HM 4 days ago, just signed up for another HM in 31 days... How to prepare?
Originally posted by Chillin

My race last Sunday was supposed to be my last race of the year, however I just came across this other race and I want to do it.

So any advice on how best to prepare for this race?

This upcoming race is where I run 4-5 days a week so I know the course very well, and I am very confident that I can PR on this course.   ...If I show up properly prepared.

I raced my last race pretty hard and I'm still sore (took the last 3 days off, ran today: definitely still some soreness and fatigue in my legs), so what is the best way to prepare for my next race?

Take it easy for the next week and a half to recover, then 2 weeks hard training, then 1 week taper?

Or hard the next 3 1/2 weeks then 1 week taper?

Or moderate training for the next 3 weeks then taper?

Or? 

Basically your aim is this. You just raced a HIM with good training and a proper taper.

For the next 7-10 days easy 20-30 minute workouts is fine. Your goal here is to properly and fully recover the body and avoid digging yourself into a hole where you will be racing fatigued in the second HIM. The 10 days after your last race and and the 7-10 days before your next race is where your "build" can take place. Its more of a 7-10 days block to hit some key sessions (race specific sessions) to build into the next race. 1-2 sessions per each discipline is fine, you don't really need anything long during this break. As long as you hit a few key sessions you will keep your peak fitness (as best as you can) before the next race. It's best to go in a bit undertrained and have great recovery then the opposite.
2014-10-31 9:15 PM
in reply to: #5064251

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Raced HM 4 days ago, just signed up for another HM in 31 days... How to prepare?
Ben, I think he was referring to 2 half marathons, not 2 HIM's. I'm guessing your advice wouldn't differ a whole lot...recover before a short build.
2014-10-31 10:44 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

New user
It kinda depends on your background in running, but I would say you need to recover from your last HM before doing anything. Is your soreness something that you can run on or possible injury? If it's a soreness you can run on, then I'd say do some active recovery on it.

If I was in your position, I would loosely base my training on something like this:
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51153/Marathon-Multiple-Marathons...
Of course, your long run on Sunday would consist of 8 miles the first week, 10 miles the next and 12-14 miles the third week.

I wouldn't even bother going hard on any runs until you recover. Last week taper.
2014-10-31 10:51 PM

It would be easier to give some advice if we knew what your training looked like for the first race along with some general running background.

2014-11-01 12:09 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25  Basically your aim is this. You just raced a HIM with good training and a proper taper. For the next 7-10 days easy 20-30 minute workouts is fine. Your goal here is to properly and fully recover the body and avoid digging yourself into a hole where you will be racing fatigued in the second HIM. The 10 days after your last race and and the 7-10 days before your next race is where your "build" can take place. Its more of a 7-10 days block to hit some key sessions (race specific sessions) to build into the next race. 1-2 sessions per each discipline is fine, you don't really need anything long during this break. As long as you hit a few key sessions you will keep your peak fitness (as best as you can) before the next race. It's best to go in a bit undertrained and have great recovery then the opposite.

Thanks.  Yes it was Half Marathons that I was talking about.  But what you said should hold true for just about any race.  However since the recovery time on a HM should be significantly less perhaps I can give a little less time to the recovery portion and therefore more time for the "build".  But you are right undertrained is better than overtrained and not recovered.

2014-11-01 12:11 AM
in reply to: Tmanishere

User image

Originally posted by Tmanishere It kinda depends on your background in running, but I would say you need to recover from your last HM before doing anything. Is your soreness something that you can run on or possible injury? If it's a soreness you can run on, then I'd say do some active recovery on it. If I was in your position, I would loosely base my training on something like this: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51153/Marathon-Multiple-Marathons... Of course, your long run on Sunday would consist of 8 miles the first week, 10 miles the next and 12-14 miles the third week. I wouldn't even bother going hard on any runs until you recover. Last week taper.

Definitely something I can run on, so active recovery it is.  Thanks for the link that is helpful.

2014-11-01 12:26 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204 It would be easier to give some advice if we knew what your training looked like for the first race along with some general running background.

Honestly my training for my last race wasn't as great as I would have preferred.  3 to 4 sessions a week / 30 - 60 km per week.   I tried to focus on quality more than quantity.

I ended up doing 1:34:14 for my race a few days ago.  My goal was to PR (1:32:27) but the course was a lot hillier than expected.  Incidentally this was my first half marathon Race I've ever done (done the distance many many times, just never in a race).

So for my upcoming race I Really want to beat 1:32:27 (ideally under 1:30:00) anything less than that will be a disappointment.

As far as my running background goes: I've only been running for 2 1/2 years, but I definitely consider myself a runner first, cyclist and swimmer second.  So far this year I've run 1,875 km in 157:45 at a pace of 5:02/km (not a huge number by most triathlete standards I know).  Incidentally after Ironman in July I was running again within 4 days and did a half marathon within 7 days (in 1:45:27), so I don't think I need too much time to recover from just a half marathon.

2014-11-01 12:26 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204 It would be easier to give some advice if we knew what your training looked like for the first race along with some general running background.

Honestly my training for my last race wasn't as great as I would have preferred.  3 to 4 sessions a week / 30 - 60 km per week.   I tried to focus on quality more than quantity.

I ended up doing 1:34:14 for my race a few days ago.  My goal was to PR (1:32:27) but the course was a lot hillier than expected.  Incidentally this was my first half marathon Race I've ever done (done the distance many many times, just never in a race).

So for my upcoming race I Really want to beat 1:32:27 (ideally under 1:30:00) anything less than that will be a disappointment.

As far as my running background goes: I've only been running for 2 1/2 years, but I definitely consider myself a runner first, cyclist and swimmer second.  So far this year I've run 1,875 km in 157:45 at a pace of 5:02/km (not a huge number by most triathlete standards I know).  Incidentally after Ironman in July I was running again within 4 days and did a half marathon within 7 days (in 1:45:27), so I don't think I need too much time to recover from just a half marathon.

2014-11-01 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I have done this a few times...currently in your same situation right now.  Race back to back HM weekends, and now race a HM last weekend and another coming up in a few weeks.  I am just running 30-45 minutes during the week and then maybe 60-75 minutes on the weekend and just making sure I am stretching really well after and foam roller at night before bed.  

Big key is going to be hydration during the next few weeks to help with recovery.

Good luck and just have fun with it.  That is usually how I make it through the back-to-back races...

2014-11-01 1:46 PM
in reply to: TriGuy05

User image

Originally posted by TriGuy05

I have done this a few times...currently in your same situation right now.  Race back to back HM weekends, and now race a HM last weekend and another coming up in a few weeks.  I am just running 30-45 minutes during the week and then maybe 60-75 minutes on the weekend and just making sure I am stretching really well after and foam roller at night before bed.  

Big key is going to be hydration during the next few weeks to help with recovery.

Good luck and just have fun with it.  That is usually how I make it through the back-to-back races...

Thanks for the advice, good to hear from someone else doing the same thing.  Good luck on your upcoming race.    

2014-11-01 8:04 PM

Ok, so you have some decent speed and volume. Based on the numbers you gave us, I'd think you'd be able to put in some easy miles the week after the HM, and then go back into some intensity for the next couple weeks and then taper the week of the HM (assuming your body can taper in 7-10 days). Good luck hitting your times!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raced HM 4 days ago, just signed up for another HM in 31 days... How to prepare? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HM 6 days after HIM

Started by Danno77
Views: 803 Posts: 18

2014-02-26 2:30 PM RedCorvette

2 days off before 1st HM?

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 656 Posts: 6

2012-01-13 9:31 AM dmbfan4life20

1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question

Started by GLC1968
Views: 866 Posts: 3

2011-10-17 11:41 AM GLC1968

5K and a HM on the same day

Started by d00d
Views: 665 Posts: 4

2011-01-02 1:27 PM Wolfofautumn

6 days to HM and sick...

Started by mchubri`
Views: 792 Posts: 2

2010-04-12 10:30 AM Whizzzzz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.

date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.