General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody use 2 HR monitors? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-31 11:04 AM

, Wisconsin
Subject: Anybody use 2 HR monitors?
First I bought a Polar FT7 this last spring. When I got the new road bike I splurged on a Garmin Edge 510. The two are not of course compatible. I've thought of buying a Garmin 310 or 910. That would allow me to get total time in a tri and also see HR during the run with the same strap I'm using with the Edge. However, my understanding is that the Garmins do not record HR during the swim. To save money and be able to see my swim HR, I've thought of using the FT7 and the Garmin. Then I'd need to use both straps . . . anybody tried this?

2014-10-31 11:32 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

, Illinois
Subject: RE: Anybody use 2 HR monitors?

(sixmilliondollarman.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
sixmilliondollarman.jpg (46KB - 1 downloads)
2014-10-31 12:57 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I've ridden on the trainer with two straps because the trainer software would only pick up a Polar strap, while my Garmin needed - obviously - a Garmin strap.  I stopped doing it cause I just couldn't be bothered and it was irritating wearing two straps.  End of the day, unless you're going to do some serious number crunching later on, there's really no need to get the HR data while swimming in a race.  Nice to have maybe during pool swims, but otherwise I personally wouldn't bother (and I tend to like reviewing data after a race).

2014-10-31 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by MikeD1

First I bought a Polar FT7 this last spring. When I got the new road bike I splurged on a Garmin Edge 510. The two are not of course compatible. I've thought of buying a Garmin 310 or 910. That would allow me to get total time in a tri and also see HR during the run with the same strap I'm using with the Edge. However, my understanding is that the Garmins do not record HR during the swim. To save money and be able to see my swim HR, I've thought of using the FT7 and the Garmin. Then I'd need to use both straps . . . anybody tried this?

What is the need to see your HR during the swim? Race results post your times why keep it with your watch?

2014-10-31 1:30 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by MikeD1

What is the need to see your HR during the swim? Race results post your times why keep it with your watch?

I guess the swim HR is not as important as the overall elapsed time and HR on the run which I definitely would like to be able to see. I know I can get an elapsed time after the race but I like to see it as it is happening. Also, my second race this year the chip timing was WAY off, they had me as the overall winner! (I'm 60 and it was only my second race after stopping 28 years ago Turns out they had directed me over the finish mat at run start. I know I could just buy a Garmin unit that would give elapsed and take care of the run. But, thinking of being cheap and using what I have .. .
2014-10-31 9:36 PM

User image

Sorry but I also don't see a point. With a watch/bike computer, you can adjust your speed/effort instantly based upon feedback of your HR and/or power level. You can also use it to adjust your running pace from the HR and pace data. For swimming.... well it's a neat thing to look at after the race I guess but other than that, why bother? I also don't understand why people put their watches in their swim cap for races. The course is about what they say. You'll likely go over it but you can't make any adjustments while in the water so why bother collecting the data other than: "I need to work on swimming strait", which is always true.

I would just swim with the Garmin and call it good. They are waterproof, even though though they don't transmit under water. It makes it easier for T1 to already have it on.

2014-11-01 5:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Blastman

Sorry but I also don't see a point. With a watch/bike computer, you can adjust your speed/effort instantly based upon feedback of your HR and/or power level. You can also use it to adjust your running pace from the HR and pace data. For swimming.... well it's a neat thing to look at after the race I guess but other than that, why bother? I also don't understand why people put their watches in their swim cap for races. The course is about what they say. You'll likely go over it but you can't make any adjustments while in the water so why bother collecting the data other than: "I need to work on swimming strait", which is always true.

I would just swim with the Garmin and call it good. They are waterproof, even though though they don't transmit under water. It makes it easier for T1 to already have it on.

While he mentions HR on the swim at first, I think he corrects this and mentions he wants it on the bike and run
Garmin 510 for bike, Polar for run.

to the OP. If your Polar watch accepts a Bluetooth HR strap then a solution may be the 4iii HR strap that transmits both Ant+ (Garmin) and Bluetooth. It won't work on the swim but at least you would have run and bike HR.

For people that want HR on the swim, I think the Suunto and Polar are the only two solutions that work, although they seem to have their issues playing with other devices like power meters.

Edited by marcag 2014-11-01 5:21 AM
2014-11-01 8:35 AM
in reply to: marcag

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Blastman

While he mentions HR on the swim at first, I think he corrects this and mentions he wants it on the bike and run
Garmin 510 for bike, Polar for run.

to the OP. If your Polar watch accepts a Bluetooth HR strap then a solution may be the 4iii HR strap that transmits both Ant+ (Garmin) and Bluetooth. It won't work on the swim but at least you would have run and bike HR.

For people that want HR on the swim, I think the Suunto and Polar are the only two solutions that work, although they seem to have their issues playing with other devices like power meters.

Thanks! I'll check that out. The 4iii strap might be just the ticket to save me the cost of buying the Garmin.
2014-11-01 9:52 AM

, Wisconsin
This is a learning experience . . . checked on DC Rainmaker site: for the 4iii: "It doesn’t work with Polar devices: Polar has their own proprietary W.I.N.D. protocol for use on the majority of their modern devices, and this won’t work with that (nor the devices that use the analog or digital non-WIND straps)."

So, time to do some further google searching to see if anyone makes a strap that broadcasts both Polar W.I.N.D. protocol and Ant+ . . . .
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody use 2 HR monitors? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gaerne shoes, anybody using them?

Started by tstick14
Views: 1088 Posts: 4

2012-08-20 8:11 AM Shortyy

Anybody using the Profile Design RMC w/ cages?

Started by nc452010
Views: 624 Posts: 1

2010-06-15 9:05 PM nc452010

Anybody using a swimming-friendly MP3?

Started by nc452010
Views: 1767 Posts: 16

2010-04-26 10:31 AM Rogillio

No tubes conversion for road bike anybody using?

Started by jrm
Views: 708 Posts: 2

2009-09-07 6:19 PM alex jb

using another HR monitor with a Garmin

Started by elbi999
Views: 683 Posts: 4

2009-08-23 7:43 AM elbi999