General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder City, Nevada
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 42s
Overall Rank = 202/214
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/33
Pre-race routine:

We drove into Las Vegas first and checked into the hotel. It was going to be my 50th triathlon, and Pumpkinman is a great event, so J and the little guys came along. I hadn’t raced this course since 2008, so I was excited to see how I would do with a few more years of experience and a lot less weight to carry around than last time. The last time I raced this course, it took me almost 4 hours, so I knew I could potentially beat my previous time by a wide margin. After checking in, I went to Henderson to pick up my race packet and then to Boulder City to drop off my run gear at T2. Point to point races can be kind of a hassle, but aside from all of the driving around, things went smoothly. We ate dinner across the street at Hard Rock and got to bed fairly early.
Event warmup:

We arrived at the swim start and T1 in plenty of time, and aside from getting into the parking lot, didn’t have any waiting in traffic to deal with. I found my spot in transition and got set up. I still had about forty five minutes until my wave was supposed to start, so I got to hang out with J, Sammy, and Sadie and get some pictures before getting started. I also had a chance to wade into the water. It was cool, but not too cold, and calm. The winds that were expected hadn’t yet picked up, which was a good omen for the swim and also the bike.
Swim
  • 35m 18s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was difficult to enter the water due to the rocky shore, so I kind of crawled in. I wore some slides up to the water’s edge that made walking on the rocks easier, and placed them next to the swim exit so they would be waiting for me when I exited the water. The water at the start didn’t feel as cold as where I had waded in before, which was a good thing. I was comfortable and ready to go when the horn sounded.

The swim went very well, except for a couple of frightening moments. A few minutes after beginning, I heard a loud sound in front of me, and saw that a person in front of me was doing a breaststroke kick. That is very dangerous, especially in a crowded swim. I made a mental note to try to stay clear of others as much as possible and moved on. I checked my time at the midway point and saw that I was at 17 minutes, so things were going well.
On the return trip, scary moment number two happened. One of the speedier swimmers from a wave behind me passed me, and as he did, he caught me in the nose with his hand. It startled me and knocked me off my rhythm more than anything, but it was a little scary. After the swim was over, I forgot about it until after the event when I was washing my face, and I thought ‘why does my nose hurt? Oh, yeah…’ Once again, scary, but no real harm done. I finished the swim and got out the water, and the race had gotten off to a good start.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. I’m not a good swimmer, and a swim where I don’t lose too much time on the field with little spent energy is the best that I can expect.
Transition 1
  • 05m 39s
Comments:

Slow transition, but I needed to get to my spot, remove the wetsuit, and pack up the bag for transport to the finish area. Also needed to apply sunscreen.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 29s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

For me and Pumpkinman, it is really all about the bike. It is a course that traumatized me in ’07, and when I returned in ’08, I put in a respectable effort. I feel like I have come a long way since then, and wanted to test myself on the toughest Olympic bike course that I have done. Other courses have hills, but the thing that makes Pumpkinman unique is that the last eight miles are all uphill, as you climb from the Lake Mead area up to Boulder City. To add to the fun, the steepest part of the climb is at the end. I knew I would be better this time around, but I was looking forward to seeing by how much.

The first few miles sped by with rolling hills along the lake. I was passing some people, but the course wasn’t overly crowded, which was a nice change from a few recent races. My gearing felt really good and I wasn’t losing any cadence when I changed up or down. I was holding a good line and felt stable, and even when my speed got up around 40 mph on a downhill, I didn’t feel skittish. After the sloppy (albeit fast) ride I had in San Diego, the crispness and confidence I was feeling was a nice change. I made it to the turnaround and knew that as I approached the Boulder Beach area where we had started, Pumpkinman was about to get real and it would be all climbing to the end.

I felt the road start to pitch upward, and reduced my gearing accordingly. I wanted to resist dropping to my lowest gear as long as possible so I would have it as a bailout at the end if needed, so I stayed two to three away. I checked my time and distance before the real climbing started and saw that I had averaged nearly 19 miles/hour for the first hour of the ride – I was happy with that number. The course has been changed slightly in the past six years in that instead of using Hwy 93 to get to Boulder City, we used the multiuse path that runs alongside the highway. After turning onto the multiuse path, I knew I wouldn’t have to worry about contending with car traffic, only other riders. The pavement was very smooth, and even though it was uphill, it wasn’t just a slow uphill grind as the path twisted and turned. It was actually kind of fun at times.

After exiting the multiuse path after crossing back under Hwy 93, we were back on the road again, and it was a straight uphill climb. As the final grind proceeded, I could see the end where the road crested and we would roll down into transition. Yes, the ride was challenging, but nothing like I remembered. I wasn’t reeling the way I was the other times. As I crested the hill, I breathed a sigh of relief and pride – this was the Pumpkinman ride that I had envisioned and had worked for this year. In 2008, I had averaged 13.9mph for the ride, and this year, the average was 16.7 – a big improvement. I also never used the bailout gear that I had saved. As a bonus, I got off the bike before the winds picked up later in the day.

I probably had a little of room to push harder, but considering the run was coming, I think I paced it about right with energy to spare to run a decent 10k.
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Pretty quick transition. Nothing wasted. Waved to J and the dogs and headed out.
Run
  • 57m 39s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 46s  min/km
Comments:

Since losing weight, my running has come a long way. The run in San Diego last month was better than any I have done. I didn’t expect to go as fast here due to a) the bike course that preceded it, and b) the profile of the course – the first three miles are downhill to the turnaround, and the final three come back up. Of course it wouldn’t be Pumpkinman if the run wasn’t difficult, too. As I started out, I didn’t feel like I was running fast, but I glanced at my watch once and saw my pace – I was going faster than I felt. I reminded myself not to get wrapped up in the numbers until the end, so I decided not to look again until the turnaround.

As I made the turn, I checked and saw that I was under 30 minutes for the first 5k. If I could hold things together for the back half, despite the fact that it was uphill and I was more tired, and break an hour, I would be very happy with the performance. I knew I had a couple of minutes of cushion to play with, but also knew that they would evaporate quickly if I slowed down too much or walked through an aid station or two too slowly. One hill stopped me in my tracks, and I allowed myself to walk for 15-20 seconds, but other than that, I was clicking along. I felt the watch shake, indicating that I had passed five miles, and decided to check the time at the aid station which marked a mile from the finish. When I reached it, I saw that I had eleven minutes to go to reach an hour. Totally doable. I made the final two turns and headed for the finish arch with a couple of minutes to spare. Unlike 2007and 2008, when the course had gotten the better of me, this time Pumpkinman had been handled – in forty five minutes less time than it had taken me in 2008.

Nothing – I paced the run well, and didn’t slow down too much on the back half. It really isn’t a course set up to negative split.
Post race
Warm down:

I turned in my timing chip, received a finisher’s medal, and grabbed a drink. I scanned the crowd and saw J and the dogs coming over. I found a spot in the shade under a tree and laid down in the grass. Shortly thereafter, I was swarmed by Sadie and Sammy, who had also had an exciting morning. We took a few more pictures, including one of all four of us, and packed up and headed for the car, all of us exhausted. I was glad I got to share number fifty with them. It was one to remember.

Event comments:

BBSC, as always, did a great job with the race. Amenities were nice, events were organized, and the venue is spectacular. Even though it is a tough, tough course, this is one of my favorite events.

Last updated: 2014-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:18 | 1500 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 302/33
Overall: 28/214
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Counterclockwise square in Lake Mead
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:29 | 24.8 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/33
Overall: 86/214
Wind:
Course: Out and back along Lakeshore Drive by Lake Mead and an eight mile climb into Boulder City
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:39 | 10 kms | 05m 46s  min/km
Age Group: 19/33
Overall: 222/214
Course: Out and back along streets in Boulder City
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-31 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Hipster
Views: 1089 Posts: 2

2011-10-18 12:40 PM TRICLOPICUS

Started by syjenkins
Views: 1207 Posts: 4

2011-10-17 4:17 PM TRICLOPICUS

Started by TRICLOPICUS
Views: 2227 Posts: 9

2011-10-18 9:53 PM cbarnes1

Started by utahrunner
Views: 1550 Posts: 3

2011-04-29 3:51 PM edshortsleeve

Started by jpbis26
Views: 2266 Posts: 8

2010-11-03 1:27 PM robingray_260
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.