General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for info about tarsal coalition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-31 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: Looking for info about tarsal coalition
I posted this in Tri Talk and got nuthin' ... so here goes again!

About four years ago, I finally got a good diagnosis for ankle issues I'd been having for years prior. It's called tarsal coalition, and it is affecting both of my ankles. Essentially, where most people have space in their joint for it to move and bend properly, I just have more bone. Some of the bones that make up my ankle joint never separated properly and instead formed a coalition. I was born like this but didn't feel it until I started being more active in my 20s (I'm looking at you, triathlon).

If you want more detail and some pics, here's a link: http://www.orthopediatrics.com/docs/Guides/tarsal_condition.html

Anyway, I am having a hard time finding anyone (in person or on message boards) that's had the surgery that's being suggested for me - a complete ankle fusion, meaning a screw in through my heel and up toward the center of my ankle joint, with possibly some additional hardware on either side of the screw. I am in a great deal of pain all the time, and my ability to even walk properly is severely limited due to the pain. I believe that the surgery could take away some of the pain but what I am not sure of is what my ability to walk, cycle, swim, etc will be. I am seeing my surgeon again soon and will ask, but I would rather hear from anyone who has had to deal with this.

Please weigh in if you have any advice or feedback! Thanks in advance!

2014-11-03 11:12 AM
in reply to: smarti

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Looking for info about tarsal coalition

Originally posted by smarti I posted this in Tri Talk and got nuthin' ... so here goes again! About four years ago, I finally got a good diagnosis for ankle issues I'd been having for years prior. It's called tarsal coalition, and it is affecting both of my ankles. Essentially, where most people have space in their joint for it to move and bend properly, I just have more bone. Some of the bones that make up my ankle joint never separated properly and instead formed a coalition. I was born like this but didn't feel it until I started being more active in my 20s (I'm looking at you, triathlon). If you want more detail and some pics, here's a link: http://www.orthopediatrics.com/docs/Guides/tarsal_condition.htmlAnyway, I am having a hard time finding anyone (in person or on message boards) that's had the surgery that's being suggested for me - a complete ankle fusion, meaning a screw in through my heel and up toward the center of my ankle joint, with possibly some additional hardware on either side of the screw. I am in a great deal of pain all the time, and my ability to even walk properly is severely limited due to the pain. I believe that the surgery could take away some of the pain but what I am not sure of is what my ability to walk, cycle, swim, etc will be. I am seeing my surgeon again soon and will ask, but I would rather hear from anyone who has had to deal with this. Please weigh in if you have any advice or feedback! Thanks in advance!

GET ANOTHER OPINION.  Like NOW.  Tarsal coalition is actually fusion of 2 bones in your foot not your ankle.  It typically presents as a painful flatfoot in an adolescent.  Some times its boney and sometimes its cartilage. Typically either a pediatric or an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon would take care of this.  Its not terribly common. Do not let a podiatrist operate on you.  I do not see how an ankle fusion would help you unless you have terrible ankle arthritis.  As I recall your daughter had a surgical hip problem a while back.  You could see her pediatric ortho or see an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon. An ortho foot and ankle surgeon has about 3-4 more years training than a podiatrist.  I have a friend who is at CU in the sports med dept.  If you want I could ask her for a name for you if Denver is not way out of the way for you.  Honestly my feeling is that you need to be at a bigger center for this.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for info about tarsal coalition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Started by Scooterific
Views: 730 Posts: 1

2011-12-28 8:08 AM Scooterific

Looking for info/guide to TENS and EMS therapy

Started by matt3liv
Views: 2625 Posts: 6

2011-09-27 8:31 AM Coldfire

Looking for info about target HR.

Started by Y2KOTA
Views: 911 Posts: 3

2011-08-23 10:42 AM Y2KOTA

Tarsal Tunnel

Started by tgrindle
Views: 659 Posts: 1

2009-04-14 4:30 PM tgrindle

Tarsal Tunnel ??

Started by kelshol
Views: 655 Posts: 1

2005-07-18 9:41 PM kelshol
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.