General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-31 8:15 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: 2015 Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens
I know it's a long time from now, but I just signed up. Any advice as to what to work on? It will be my first 70.3.

2014-11-01 5:53 PM
in reply to: eurasn1

User image

Regular
Spokane
Subject: RE: 2015 Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens
Originally posted by eurasn1

I know it's a long time from now, but I just signed up. Any advice as to what to work on? It will be my first 70.3.

I really liked this race. Just did it for the first time this year. I believe this course really gives you a true test of your fitness. Since this is your first 70.3 and assuming your an average cyclist, I would respect the bike course. Pacing is key. From memory, I believe my Joule registered about 2800' of climbing. There are not a lot of flat sections on the second half of the ride. Any steep downhills always seemed to end in a sharp turn at the bottom of the hill so it was difficult to build long sustainable speeds. If your using a powermeter pay close attention to your VI. From my experience, if you can pace this course well and feel strong off the bike, you'll have the opportunity to have a great race. Good luck!! I may end up doing this race again for 2015 also.
2014-11-03 5:56 PM
in reply to: littlewj

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I haven't done this race but have done several other HIM's and the two most important things to keep in mind for a first 70.3 are proper pacing and nutrition.  You have plenty of time to prepare and sort such things out so for now I'd be working an establishing a good solid training base.  Lots of low intensity volume to increase your durability for the months ahead.  If you have a weakness you might put some extra focus there.

About five months out I'd find a good training plan and follow that.  A good plan will give you a good mix of workouts for each discipline and lay out the volume and intensity of the workouts needed to prepare you for the race.  Use the longer bike and run sessions to find out what works best for you with nutrition and hydration.  On race day, it will make a huge difference.

Be realistic about your expectations on race day.  After a proper taper, you will feel like a caged animal and you'll need to avoid pacing mistakes of either biking too hard because you are feeling great or start the run too fast only to crash and burn.  Plan realistic paces based on your actual training and stick with them during the race.  Practice this with negative split workouts where you force yourself to hold back for the latter stages.

Good luck!!

2014-11-05 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
The bike comments earlier were pretty spot on IMO. It's a pretty hilly course. Nothing super steep or sustained, but very few flat spots. If you have time, drive it one day. The steepest uphill comes after a downhill section and is a hairpin turn. Good chance you'll get caught in the wrong gear if you don't know it's coming.

The run is easier. Only one long hill that you hit twice. The swim is about as easy as it gets in OWS. There's a buoy line you can see and follow. I don't bother to sight at all in this race.
2014-11-11 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks for the replies. I'm in the S.E. Washington so not many hills to ride and the snow we're expecting in a couple of days have my bike planted on the trainer most likely for the winter. I appreciate everyone's advise and I will try to build a good base and watch my pace. Looking forward to training for it and racing next year.
2014-11-13 11:35 AM

Prepare for the bike. Hills are not as daunting as I thought they would be but there are quite a few. The swim will be turbulent because there are a lot of people in the water. Otherwise, swim is not too bad. The run presents some challenges but nothing major. Good luck and have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens Rss Feed