of 2

2014-11-07 12:42 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Mileage accuracy on trainer

I log a fictitious "mileage" for trainer rides that is about the average of what I'd ride outside.  I usually use 17 or 17.5 mph even if lately I've been doing a lot more riding at 18+ mph.  

I use the fictitious number to track mileage on tires and drivetrain and for an approximation for monthly or yearly totals.  

2014-11-07 12:55 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Mileage accuracy on trainer

Originally posted by McFuzz

I log a fictitious "mileage" for trainer rides that is about the average of what I'd ride outside.  I usually use 17 or 17.5 mph even if lately I've been doing a lot more riding at 18+ mph.  

I use the fictitious number to track mileage on tires and drivetrain and for an approximation for monthly or yearly totals.  

Exactly...

I even do that for a spin class.  If my average HR is Z2, then give myself 17 miles for the hour.  If it's Z3 or higher?  I adjust accordingly to ball park numbers.

It may have been mentioned or eluded to, but the trainer can be tricked in too many way to make "distance" unreliable.  For example, I can crank the resistance up, run a small gear for an hour (I guess to simulate a climb) and "travel" only a couple miles of wheel revolutions.  OR, I can put the bike in the biggest gear possible and run a low resistance on the trainer and suddenly I'm doing 40 miles worth of wheel rotations - both at the same HR (and same amount of work).

SO, like I said earlier (and others), on my "typical" ride (typical weather, route, etc), I average about 17mph at an HR in Z2.  So I give myself that mileage in my logs or adjust accordingly and don't even use the computer on the bike.  Only HR and a timer.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mileage accuracy on trainer Rss Feed  

of 2