General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee pain question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-02 8:36 PM

naperville, Illinois
Subject: knee pain question
I have been having this weird issue with my knee. I can run at an 8:00 pace and my knee does not bother me at all, but if I slow down to 8:30, my knee hurts like no tomorrow. If I stop, no knee pain - so it's really just the "slower" pace that I can maintain for a long run that it hurts. Unlike Rinny, I can't run a blistering speed for 26.2 -- .2 yes, 26.2 no. I try to pay attention if it's the case that I run differently when running faster, but I can't tell a difference. Any thoughts on the pain only at the intermediate pace?

thanks

2014-11-03 6:12 AM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: knee pain question
Your form may be breaking down at the slower pace. It is easier to run with good form at faster paces.
2014-11-03 7:16 AM
in reply to: EKH

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by EKH

Your form may be breaking down at the slower pace. It is easier to run with good form at faster paces.

This. Best way I can put it: when I go slower I tend to "pound". I have to work very consciously on running lightly . . .
2014-11-03 8:00 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

Master
Northern IL

I've felt the breakdown at slower paces too and for me it's been cadence dropping off a lot more than stride length. So I end up overstriding even though it still feels somewhat smaller. I too have to consciously work on keeping the steps light & quick. Feels weird at first, but comes with practice. Need to run well to develop better.

That said, if knee problems come on as easily as the OP makes it sound then wonder if a little something else is going on too? Something might get sore for me, but would tend to take a least several runs of doing it and putting a decent amount of miles in at the time too. Might take care of itself with more running better, but would keep the thought in mind for later on if it comes up again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee pain question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Butt pain coincide with knee pain?

Started by smiletodayok
Views: 1548 Posts: 6

2012-12-18 1:58 AM smiletodayok

Running knee pain is frustrating!! Questions inside

Started by staylor36
Views: 2097 Posts: 11

2008-09-09 6:25 PM ell-in-or

knee pain - left knee, right side

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 3338 Posts: 3

2008-01-20 12:14 AM badnews

Knee Pain Question

Started by trimossy
Views: 795 Posts: 5

2006-05-15 11:08 AM kenail

knee pain

Started by funkeegato
Views: 955 Posts: 3

2003-08-04 6:42 PM Bubba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : May 21, 2010
comments : 2
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : August 12, 2008
After about 45-60 minutes of generally light jogging I am getting shooting pain in the left side of the knee under the patella.

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.

date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.