General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Better to start with a Duathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-03 9:07 AM

Subject: Better to start with a Duathlon?
Morning everyone!

Newbie here, so I'm sure this question has been asked before but I was having trouble finding a thread. I am just starting to get into a fitness plan of anysort. Three months ago I was a confirmed couch potato. My long term goal is to complete a full IM, but I'm starting to wonder if trying to train for 3 disciplines right off the bat is realistic. I can see if someone came to the Tri life with a background in one discipline then picking up the other two may not be so hard. But I'm finding trying to train for 3 disciplines when I have zero background is .... well.... challenging to say the least! So I'm wondering if you would advise starting with a Duathlon type of training first where I can focus on the bike and run portions for a year, and then add in the swim later, or should I just put my big boy pants on and get through all 3? I know there's no "wrong" answer since either way I'm still off the couch and training! I'm just curious to see what others may think

Thanks!

2014-11-03 9:49 AM
in reply to: pgorman

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Better to start with a Duathlon?

Many people go straight to triathlon without having any material background in the three sports (I did).  But, there is nothing wrong with doing duathlons (or starting with a single sport focus), especially if trying to work on 3 sports at once seems too daunting for your schedule at this time.  You can always decide to swim later--or not.  As you noted, there is no wrong answer.  It comes down to your goals, interests and constraints.  My best suggestion for you is probably to just try to find a fitness plan that you feel you can stick with on a routine basis.  Attach a goal or two to the work that helps keep you honest and motivated.  If that means you start with duathlon, triathlon, or whatever is less important.

Welcome to BT!

2014-11-03 10:39 AM

User image

Franklin, TN

Congrats on getting off the couch!  You're right, there's no right or wrong answer to this...do what keeps you happy, moving & motivated. 

My progression was this: first 5k in 2012 (at age 52), plus several more 5k's and a 10k that year.  A friend suggested we try to do a triathlon in the spring of 2013.  I said sure, let me just go down to the Y and see how my swim looks.  I went to the Y, swam 75 yards and thought I was going to die!  I knew the swim was going to be my limiter so I signed up for some lessons, hit the pool as often as I could, then joined a tri-oriented masters swim class.  If you want to eventually do triathlons and you don't have a competitive swimming background, get some lessons and start swimming sooner rather than later.

I ended up doing 4 triathlons (3 sprints and 1 olympic), a half marathon and a few more running races last year.  More of the same this year but I did add in an early season marathon to the mix...probably won't do that again since it messes up early season triathlon training.

Fitting all 3 discliplines into a weekly workout schedule can be challenging...especially as you train for longer distances.  Running: it's the easiest to prepare for and execute...throw on some shoes and go.  A 30 minute run (at a conversational pace) done on a consistent basis (4-6 times a week) will get you started.  Cycling and swimming require more prep time so they're a little bit more challenging to fit into a schedule.  I try to swim 3+ times a week...either at lunch, in the evenings or on the weekend.  As the days get shorter, my cycling will be relegated to the weekends or on a indoor trainer. 

My suggestion, if you really want to tacklie an IM at some point in the future, would be to work on all 3 discliplines from the beginning.  Just keep the sessions short enough so that you can fit them in your schedule....maybe a 30 minute swim followed by a 30 minute run session on the treadmill (or 30 minutes on a indoor cycle). 

Good luck and welcome to BT.

2014-11-03 12:35 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

I did my first multisport race as a duathlon. It just seemed simpler, and it was a good way for me to find out if I liked multisports. You are right, the training is easier. Simply finding a place for swim practice can be tough. Running and biking are easier to work into the schedule. Also, I had a hard time wrapping my head around transitions until I saw them, and a run-bike transition was easier than swim-bike (the idea of swimming and biking in the same clothes was too foreign--feel free to laugh).

I really liked my duathlon. I was dabbling in bike racing at the time, so I did really well and had fun without feeling like I was dying at the end (second OA female). I found out that multisports weren't nearly as intimidating as I thought, and that not all triathletes were lean, superhuman endurance machines.
2014-11-03 12:43 PM

Funny you should mention the swim! Sounds like we had a similiar experience though I think mine took about 25 yards to realize I was going to need serious medical attention, or an updated will! I have never swam laps like that. I can swim a little for recreation, but UGH!!!! I've tried a few times over the past few weeks and simply don't enjoy it. Now, do I not enjoy it because I stink at or, or because I truly don't enjoy it!!! That's the question I have to answer.
2014-11-03 1:11 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by pgorman Funny you should mention the swim! Sounds like we had a similiar experience though I think mine took about 25 yards to realize I was going to need serious medical attention, or an updated will! I have never swam laps like that. I can swim a little for recreation, but UGH!!!! I've tried a few times over the past few weeks and simply don't enjoy it. Now, do I not enjoy it because I stink at or, or because I truly don't enjoy it!!! That's the question I have to answer.

Almost everyone without a swimming background has this inital reaction to attempting to swim laps.  It will get better if you work at it and get some lessons/coaching.  Technique is substantially more important in swimming versus biking or running.  It is difficult to get much fitness benefit from swimming until you overcome as least a portion of those technique issues.  But those issues won't change simply by becoming more fit through biking or running first.  And there is no way to really enjoy swimming until you get though that first stage of leaning how to swim.  Expect to have to get in the pool several times a week for several weeks before things start to 'click' and you can actually start swimming for fitness.  Again, if you can get some coaching/lessons, that process will likely be a bit smoother than trying to work on drills/techniques on your own (though it can be done). 

2014-11-03 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah... that swim, huh! I had a background in biking and running before I started doing tris, but here's my advice.
I'd say that of the 3 sports, biking is the easiest to pick up and get decent at (fast is another story). Swimming is so technique-based, and for many of us it took months and months to get comfortable even covering the distance. And most triathletes could still improve their swim a lot.
Running, while not particularly about technique, does take time to build up. Most people can step up the distance they race and/or the speed for years without peaking, whatever age they start at... but it takes time.
So my suggestion would be to get some swim lessons or do Total Immersion or another program, and get comfortable swimming. Then join a masters' program, or at least start swimming seriously. And start running regularly- 3-4x per week at a minimum. Yeah, there aren't a lot of aquathlons out there, but there are plenty of running races and once you start swimming well, you'll probably enjoy it.
In the meantime, bike when you feel like it. Once you start training for a race, you'll start biking enough to feel comfortable on the bike, and anyone who can easily finish the swim and run of a tri could do the bike. The same couldn't be said of someone who's good at biking and running finishing the swim, and even for someone who's good on the swim and bike, the run could be a challenge.
2014-11-04 12:07 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I'm not sure how much of a "couch potato" you were, but I highly recommend swim training! Swimming and cycling are much lower impact exercises for your body, and might be a safer way to shed some excess weight that you might have. Also my goal is to do a full IM too, and I know I need a lot of time swim training to be prepared for that. I started off only swimming and biking because I have hip issues and I'm not supposed to run, but after my first sprint I realized that was a mistake :D. I know the correct answer for this depends entirely on the individual, but I also like having different options for exercising. I personally get bored easily of doing one of the disciplines, and so I'll shift my focus to one of the others and so on. Most importantly have fun and good luck making your decision!
2014-11-04 12:44 PM
in reply to: Lupy

it is not easier, it is just different. You end up running more. For instance, in a sprint:
Tri = 0.75k swim, 20k bike, 5k run.
duathlon = 5k run, 20k bike, 5k run. That is double the run.

If running is an obstacle for you, I would do triathlon. If swimming is the obstacle, duathlon could be good.

I would do what seems the more achievable to you first and then increase/grow. You will both gain confidence and experience in all events you do.
2014-11-04 5:36 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

Thank you EVERYONE for your comments and thoughts. I really do appreciate them! For now I"m going to suck it up and deal with the swim. I set out to do Tri's and I don't want to give up on that too quickly. I did manage to get 300 yards in this morning, though I found I needed a brief break after each 25 yard segment. But hey, it was still 300 yards! So now at least I know I can get through that. Now it's just a matter of picking up the speed
2014-11-04 7:50 PM
in reply to: #5064856

User image

Franklin, TN
Good job on getting the swim going. Try to get some lessons..it will speed up your progress. It's better to get them now versus ingraining bad habits. If you don't have access to a coach you could post some video of your swimming here..lots of experienced swimmers and coaches on this forum.

2014-11-05 3:36 AM

I'm working on getting some coaching sessions set up, probably early next month it looks like due to the coach's schedule. I agree that's going to be important, especially for the swim.
2014-11-05 9:24 AM

if you can't get a coach, you can also look for triathlon or swim master club. I did approximately 5 clubs and all of them spent time evaluating the newbie and improving him. (except one club which was really bad). If you have the choice, I say the smaller the group, the more time they have for you .

Just set the expectation straight and see their reaction. (I just started and do approx. 400m...). Most club like to grow and are happy to have newcomer even if it means they will need to pay more attention to them. That is why there are multiple corridors in a swimming pool. if they believe you are not ready for their group, they will suggest lessons or other groups.

Good luck! I started triathlon as a personal challenge. Now I can't believe the pleasure I get out of it. Those events are fun!
2014-11-05 4:34 PM

User image

You could start with a duathlon or a try a tri. The first one I did was a try a tri which had a 400 m swim that was along the shore so it wasn't so scary.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Better to start with a Duathlon? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Start Running After 40, More Harm Than Good Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jbholcom
Views: 6749 Posts: 53

2014-03-16 1:45 PM Puppetmaster

When will I start listening to good advice?

Started by Panda_Jack
Views: 1090 Posts: 16

2012-02-06 8:28 AM BernardDogs

Not off to a good start for the year

Started by VelocityDriven
Views: 1025 Posts: 3

2010-01-02 10:29 PM VelocityDriven

Is it good to start slow?

Started by gmcclung
Views: 1277 Posts: 9

2008-05-25 5:38 PM 1stTimeTri

Run starts bad....ends good

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1007 Posts: 12

2008-04-09 5:51 PM Aikidoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.