General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-03 11:06 AM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
Subject: Marathon Recovery
I just completed my first marathon yesterday. NYC: 3:22 and boy am I sore. what's everyone's recovery post marathon.

2014-11-03 12:28 PM
in reply to: husse23

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Marathon Recovery

Congrats on a great finish for your first marathon!

Everyone is different, but an old rule of thumb is one day of recovery for every mile raced.  Of course that doesn't preclude some active recovery with some easy running or cross-training; better to do something and move around a bit rather than crashing on the couch.  Listen to your body is probably the best advice.

Mark

2014-11-03 4:50 PM
in reply to: #5064909

Also ran NYC yesterday. Did an easy 2 mile jog. Helped to loosen things up. I could even walk upstairs like a normal person when I got home. I will probably do 3 or 4 easy miles tomorrow. Usually I feel significantly better by the second day, but I'll still run easy for 2 or 3 weeks.
2014-11-04 3:44 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Everyone is different, but an old rule of thumb is one day of recovery for every mile raced.  Of course that doesn't preclude some active recovery with some easy running or cross-training; better to do something and move around a bit rather than crashing on the couch.  Listen to your body is probably the best advice.

Mark

I use the 1 day rest for each hour raced  .... 1 day per mile is a bit overkill 

2014-11-04 6:06 AM
in reply to: husse23

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It varies from person to person and race to race. You will see a lot of "rules" but it's ambiguous what "training" means. I'm thinking the "one day off training per mile of race" refers more to serious mileage, speedwork, and races.....Most people probably wouldn't feel up to that physically (and/or motivated to do it! ) for 3-4 weeks after a hard marathon. But as for time off running, when you feel like it physically and want to mentally, you can do an easy run. For me it's varied from 2-3 days to maybe a week of just not feeling up to running, often maybe another week or two of feeling really tired if the run gets beyond an 45-50 minutes or I try to pick up the pace. As others have said, it helps to do some active recovery. I find that easy swimming and cycling are great at helping with recovery, even the day after the race. I remember one race in particular (Honolulu) where I actually managed to both swim (in the ocean) and bike (back home after the race) post-race, and I recovered very quickly. Of course that may have had more to do with not being in good shape at the time and thus running at a very conservative, "just finish" pace, but it may have helped.

2014-11-04 8:31 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

New user
Key West
Just listen to your body for physical activities, but for recovery from the soreness I use a combination of all of the following: Epson salts bath, massage, lots of water, walking or swimming, very easy short runs toward the end of the week.

BTW awesome results on your marathon. NYC was my first Mary 28 years ago and it is not an easy marathon, especially with the cold and wind you all had. Take it easy.

2014-11-04 8:34 AM
in reply to: WildWill

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by WildWill

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Mark

I use the 1 day rest for each hour raced  .... 1 day per mile is a bit overkill 

I think that applies to the recovery time between races, not training.  Again it's going to be an individual thing.  At my age (61) I know it certainly takes me longer to recover than it did ten years ago.   

Mark 

2014-11-04 9:46 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

DC
Originally posted by Hot Runner

As others have said, it helps to do some active recovery. I find that easy swimming and cycling are great at helping with recovery, even the day after the race.

+1

After my marathon two weeks ago (3:26 so a fairly "serious effort" race), I rode an easy high-cadence 16 miler. Although my lefts/feet were shot, I didn't feel the pain w/the high cadence. In fact, it's amazing how great it feels on the muscles & mentally.

Congrats!
2014-11-04 1:37 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

It also depends a lot on how much running mileage you normally do-- that is, how much "more than normal" was the marathon.

I've had much more difficult recoveries when I've done marathons on lower mileage than on higher mileage.

In general, the one day per mile guideline is a good one-- that means no HARD or long running for at least three weeks. One day per hour run is way too short.
I usually take a week completely off and then ease back into running. Swimming and cycling as I feel, but I don't expect anything great for a few weeks at least.
2014-11-04 3:16 PM
in reply to: #5065036

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
A cold bath?
2014-11-06 11:49 PM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

New user
A week off (mostly for the mental aspect), usually with some fun activity. Then, for a few weeks, short easy runs/bikes/swims as motivation and my body wants. Then, back at it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Recovery Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half Marathon recovery? Pages: 1 2

Started by nc452010
Views: 3648 Posts: 28

2010-10-07 10:04 AM newbz

Marathon Recovery Program

Started by cornfed
Views: 2004 Posts: 7

2010-03-15 12:54 PM bgraboski

Favorite Marathon Recovery Tips

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 1246 Posts: 18

2009-01-13 11:57 AM jszat

Long Distance Cycling during Marathon recovery?

Started by pauldelamancha
Views: 900 Posts: 3

2007-10-20 8:41 AM caius

Longest marathon recovery ever! Pages: 1 2

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1931 Posts: 33

2006-04-24 3:33 PM evil lizzie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : February 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
From yoga to Crossfit, what strategies can be used to get a groin injury under control for racing?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : January 2, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on sprint swim overdistance training, strength training, recovery after a marathon, core work importance, tight calves with new running gait and importance of a tri bike for an Ironman.

date : November 19, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on IM heart-rate zones, LT zone testing, off season focus, aero helmets, flats and tires, 650 or 700cc, cold weather and marathon recovery.