General Discussion Triathlon Talk » one week post gastric sleeve surgery and want to do first sprint tri next spring/summer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-03 11:43 AM

Subject: one week post gastric sleeve surgery and want to do first sprint tri next spring/summer
I used to be a fairly elite level athlete until multiple knee injuries put an end to my college career and then overeating and lack of exercise combined to turn me into a 400 lb couch potato... I'm under 400 lbs and have a quality bicycle from a previous attempt at "getting in shape" - a Cannondale CAAD9-4, with 36 spoke custom wheel set. Before surgery, I was walking 3-4 miles a day and swimming 15 minutes. I want to be under 300 by the first one, which is doable. Just need to keep working and get the nutrition down. I'm still on strict post-op diet (currently, "full liquid") so intense training is out of the question, and I still have to heal anyway, but I'm going for my first good, long post-op walk this afternoon. Just looking for encouragement and accountability.

2014-11-28 7:18 PM
in reply to: bassjones

User image

Subject: RE: one week post gastric sleeve surgery and want to do first sprint tri next spring/summer
Good luck! Anything can be done in time. My wife is getting ready to have the sleeve surgery done. Hoping I can convince her to possibly take up this great sport when it's all said and done.
2014-11-29 1:43 PM
in reply to: bassjones

Subject: RE: one week post gastric sleeve surgery and want to do first sprint tri next spring/summer
My wife had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy a few years ago due to having knee surgery and some other health issues. The surgery allowed her to loose the weight so rapidly, that her body was able to "reset" itself and she is doing great with no health issues at all. It may suck, but the diet the doctors put you on is really the best for you. Just make sure you get your protein in. She hates protein shakes so that made it tough, but it is doable. I also tried to get her into triathlon, and right after we got her a bike, picked a race, and she started training, we found out she was pregnant and since she is a high risk pregnancy, the doctor said no strenuous training. So the triathlon will have to wait.

Long story short, YOU GOT THIS! It can be done and don't let anyone tell you different. The only thing you will probably have to do different is put more emphasis on your protein intake. Let your doctor know what you are doing and I'm sure he/she can help. GOOD LUCK!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » one week post gastric sleeve surgery and want to do first sprint tri next spring/summer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

post-surgery diet

Started by Angeb
Views: 704 Posts: 3

2007-01-24 10:40 AM Angeb

Pre Summer Challenge week 2........

Started by ChrisM
Views: 924 Posts: 9

2006-05-16 11:14 PM rjba2000

GETTING READY FOR FIRST TRI 3 WEEKS IN

Started by ff829
Views: 668 Posts: 2