General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super-Clydes and running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-04 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: Super-Clydes and running
I have returned to training but have one glaring trouble spot, the run/walk. It is undoubtedly my greatest weakness. It's not like I'm a threat to anybody's podium chances. My swim is around 2:15 per 100 and I'm just now doing a 1000 yd workout. And my bike usually averages around 13.5-14 mph for the 13.5 mile course that I ride most often. Both of those will improve over time and with weight loss, so I'm really not worried about them. Besides, neither one of them is as punishing as running.

In my own case, I consider myself to be about 150 lbs above my goal weight. My Marine Corps weight was 220 lbs and I am currently 372 lbs. I am also 56 yrs old and have been told by my orthopedist that I have "well-developed" arthritis in my knees. He recommends that if I have any goals that require running to get them in sooner rather than later because he doesn't know how long my knees will last.

Moving my bulk at anything over 3.75 mph requires me to jog/trot. To say that this is jarring is a rather large understatement. I used the word punishing earlier on purpose. If I attempt anything faster than that I can feel the slamming in my knees and ankles. To say that I can feel jiggling is also a severe understatement. Picture the Baywatch girls running, except EVERYTHING is bouncing like that. It honestly makes my muscles sore form the bouncing.

I'd like to know when other Supers have been able to successfully start a legitimate running program. I'm hoping to start the Treadmill C25k with the New Year, but really only expect to be around 350 by then. Hopefully, with that added exercise I will break 300 before my first race on May 10th.

2014-11-04 12:14 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Subject: RE: Super-Clydes and running
Love hearing your story and your goals! The number 1 thing I would recommend is getting a pair of Hoka One One shoes. They've made a HUGE difference in my life for sure.

As far as running style I would highly recommend looking into Chi Running. It's a lot less jarring and would be a great place for you to start.

Another suggestion I'd heard was to not discount weights. If you don't have the supporting musculature you may actually harm yourself by running. Start slow and build from there.

GOOD LUCK!
2014-11-04 2:12 PM
in reply to: Fatboy32

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Early this year I was at about 350. I started out simple by walking. I trained for my marathon at 300 lbs simply by walking and build up my walking speed and endurance. I did not start running until I did my first marathon where I did a walk/run. All my training for that marathon was walking fast.

I second chi running. Good form is key. I am still younger (39) but I always had the weight. Never really had any knee issues in the last 10 year with 22 marathons.
2014-11-04 7:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by Fatboy32

Love hearing your story and your goals! The number 1 thing I would recommend is getting a pair of Hoka One One shoes. They've made a HUGE difference in my life for sure.

As far as running style I would highly recommend looking into Chi Running. It's a lot less jarring and would be a great place for you to start.

Another suggestion I'd heard was to not discount weights. If you don't have the supporting musculature you may actually harm yourself by running. Start slow and build from there.

GOOD LUCK!

Colin,

I was just at a really good shoe store (one hour drive) specifically to try the Hokas after reading your earlier thread. The manager is a certified PT assistant with 6 yrs in orthopedics and gait management. She recommended against them in my case because my feet are too wide for the platform. She was pretty sure I would blow out the instep of the shoes long before I wore out the soles.

I've pulled a couple of pages on Chi running to check out after this.

Just waiting for a little extra money so I can get a gold membership and use the custom plan creator. Talked to wife tonight about getting up at 0500 so I can start two-a-days, swim in the morning and something else in the afternoon. Strength training will be on the agenda. My hope is to have at least 5 swims a week, 2 rides, 2 treadmills, and 2 strength days The wife thinks I am crazy..

Edited by leatherneckpa 2014-11-04 7:37 PM
2014-11-04 8:01 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by chirunner134

Early this year I was at about 350. I started out simple by walking. I trained for my marathon at 300 lbs simply by walking and build up my walking speed and endurance. I did not start running until I did my first marathon where I did a walk/run. All my training for that marathon was walking fast.

I second chi running. Good form is key. I am still younger (39) but I always had the weight. Never really had any knee issues in the last 10 year with 22 marathons.

chirunner,

It's great to hear from you and Colin, folks who have been where I am, and gone where I want to go. I'm hoping that the treadmill will reduce the impact enough for me to start C25k. I was doing C25k last year before I got injured.

I know there is nothing in the rulebook that says I can't walk during a tri, but I really want to be able to trot most of it. I need, for my own mindset, to be able to do my 5k in 36 mins or less.
2014-11-04 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
12AP for tonight, 66AP for the week, with a goal of 50AP
Swam laps, lost count on my distance set, again. This was supposed to be 1050 yards.
4x50, 2x100, 1x300, 2x100, 4x50 = 1100 yds

Big question ,,,,, do I reset to 60AP or stay at 50AP for this week. Bear in mind, that 10k on Sunday was a fluke, not planned.

2014-11-05 8:21 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by leatherneckpa
I know there is nothing in the rulebook that says I can't walk during a tri, but I really want to be able to trot most of it. I need, for my own mindset, to be able to do my 5k in 36 mins or less.

This resonates with me because I was not able to make a complete run in either of the sprints I ran this year. I was nursing an injury in May, and my run training was lacking in Sept so I intentionally burned out on the bike to 1) see what I could pull off on hills, and 2) gain a few extra minutes. I'm also in the process of looking for new shoes since I can tell my Brooks have gone flat. I may have been a finisher, and I accomplished a great deal last year... but I kind of feel like I cheated by walking...
2014-11-05 9:27 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

This resonates with me because I was not able to make a complete run in either of the sprints I ran this year. I was nursing an injury in May, and my run training was lacking in Sept so I intentionally burned out on the bike to 1) see what I could pull off on hills, and 2) gain a few extra minutes. I'm also in the process of looking for new shoes since I can tell my Brooks have gone flat. I may have been a finisher, and I accomplished a great deal last year... but I kind of feel like I cheated by walking...

Walking is cheating I then cheat in probably every race I ever did but about 1 or 2 marathons and maybe a couple of sprints

Goal of a triathlon is to finish and finish as fast as possible.

Reason why I like chirunning is goal is more about relaxing and ensure your bodies out of the way rather than muscle through it.
Another reason I like to wear a HR Monitor. Your pace is not always a good indicator on how hard you are working. For me its more about giving your all then the finish time.

2014-11-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by chirunner134
Walking is cheating I then cheat in probably every race I ever did but about 1 or 2 marathons and maybe a couple of sprints

Goal of a triathlon is to finish and finish as fast as possible.

LOL! Oh, I agree completely. It's just that in my own mind I can't come to grips that I didn't run the distance. More of a cheating myself than cheating at the event type of thing. PRs should be easy to set in both races if I can simply run the distance after the bike *shrug*. Of course I plan on improving in the water, and decimating my bike times as well... hehehehe
2014-11-11 7:02 AM
in reply to: #5065204

User image

I started sprint tri's this year at around 280 and I struggle withthe run as well. after my 4th and last sprint of this year I still walk/jogged the 5k. I'm down to about 269 but my off season goal is to drop20lbs and see where that takes me on my run. Didn't help in my last race that my cell phone monitoring HR and speed fell off and I slammed on the brakes to get it and forgot to unclip and down I went. LOL
2014-12-30 11:05 AM

I started at 420 #'s and started running using the Brooks Beasts. In the past I have had terrible issues with twisting my ankles and I made sure I modified my running with a "barefoot" runners step. In the past I have had a much harder heel strike and the barefoot running technique really helped with the jarring you are experiencing for me. But the shoes are Great for what I have needed. I agree with everyone else though. I "run" my pace through the whole race. I hate walking, but walkers have been known to pass me haha.

2014-12-30 11:46 AM
in reply to: Chris75h

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Chris75h

I hate walking, but walkers have been known to pass me haha.

Those Olympic speed walkers will walk a 50k (31 miles) at like 7 min/mile. So yeah most people I can be be beat by walkers. Though I do know what you mean. last year at this time my running pace was slower than my fast walking pace this year.
2015-02-11 6:12 PM

User image

Great Falls, Virginia
New to the forum personally so I'm catching up with everyone's stories. I topped out at 300 and never would have considered running at that weight.

My first reaction is to recommend you bike and swim as much as possible and just keep walking. But thinking more about it, with a proper midsole strike, I wonder if running at a modest pace is gentler on your knees than walking, which keeps one foot on the ground at all times, but there is the inevitable heel strike there which, from my understanding, is the thing that kills your knees. I never, ever thought I could run but now at 230, with a very careful gait, I ran over 600 miles last year with not a moment of knee pain.

I'm learning a lot of things from this forum and one thing is that I should stop complaining about how hard it is to run at 230lbs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super-Clydes and running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best Supporting running shoes for Clydes

Started by Viking58
Views: 5411 Posts: 16

2011-04-17 4:09 AM 3fun

Any Clydes/Athenas were racing flats for running?

Started by iwantotri
Views: 4624 Posts: 18

2010-03-10 10:26 PM tri-dg

Suggestions for Clydes/Athenas & Running? Pages: 1 2

Started by merlyn411
Views: 4280 Posts: 32

2008-08-11 9:03 AM merlyn411

Running Shoes for Clydes Pages: 1 2

Started by PJOinSM
Views: 4379 Posts: 31

2008-05-08 11:16 AM buckeye66

Thanks to the BT Clydes/Athenas!

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 1365 Posts: 11

2007-08-31 11:21 PM deniselt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 16, 2014
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Do we really need chia, spelt, and quinoa? Is anything wrong with old-fashioned peanut butter, broccoli and brown rice?

date : December 30, 2013
author : Ron
comments : 1
We have new 10 and 20 week training plans for the New Year! These mini sprint plans are very conservative and will get any person thinking of training for a triathlon ready to cross the finish-line.
date : July 13, 2009
author : Ontherun
We review three unique floor pumps: Pedro's Super Prestige, Topeak JoeBlow Ace and the Campbell Hausfeld cordless rechargeable inflator. Also discussed are Presta and Schrader valves.

date : October 7, 2008
author : didds
Cotswold super sprint - UK. Lots of bodies colliding, I swam half over someone, got kicked by some bloody breaststroker, and as a mob we poured towards the first buoy.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?