General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon bike advice please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-05 9:26 PM

Subject: Triathlon bike advice please
Ok I've been doing triathlons now for 4 years. Started slowly with sprints, added OLYs and did my first HIM this season. I'm a good swimmer and am usually one of the first to T1....unfortunately the same bikes i see in T1 are there in T2 meaning most seem to pass me during the ride (ok i'm not that great a runner either but that's beside s the point)....I currently own a '13 trek Domane with no upgrades (wheels, aerobars etc.) so thinking of getting a tri bike but don't want to break the bank. Researched what's in my price range and went to 3 LBS who carry Tri bikes (also been looking at Craigslist, Ebay, Tri N Sell it). Surprisingly the responses from the bike shops were completely different and confused me more:

LBS #1 - I ride a 54 road bike with a short 90cm stem and have my handlebars relatively low or aggressively placed. This place had a '14 P2 54 in my price range (though I'd prefer ultegra like my domane). He put me on the bike on a trainer, did some basic leg measurements and said that looks great. Obviously we will make more adjustments when your "fitted".

LBS #2 - also had a P2 (and trek speed concept). But strangely enough he didn't push towards even purchasing a tri bike. He said buy some aerobars (not specifically from him) and we could play with your road bike (eg turning the seat tube around) to put you in a tri like position, but obviously not a true tri bike - but enough for most people - I'm a MOP finisher -do you need a tribike for a few races a year.

LBS # - Different approach. While he showed me what he had (which was limited he did have a P2 at the highest price) he didn't push anything except a $250 "fitting". at that point he said I could decide what was best for me size and brand. The $250 would be applied to purchase if i bought from him. he also said it is possible though unlikely he didn't have anything that "fit" me...in that case he same I would be able to leave his shop with the knowledge of what i should be looking for elsewhere....my skeptical thinking is he would find something that "fit" me. Afterall doesn't he want a sale?

So what do people think of this and the varied response of these LBS?

(probobly looking for a '13P2 which has ultegra if I ultimately can find one - also does a '54 road translate automatically to a 54 tri bike like the first store went for? tried a friends 51 which obviously wasn't set up for me and seemed small)

thx

2014-11-05 10:04 PM
in reply to: gzh6464

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Triathlon bike advice please
Some fitters are better than others. I'd go with referrals, word of mouth etc. The fitting should come first to make sure you get the right bike. Bikes can have different geometry to where not all can be the right fit. I paid $275 for a Retul fitting (a GREAT fit by the way) by a reputable bike fitter/shop to find out only TWO tri bikes in the industry can fit me properly, both way out of my price range. So lucky for me with a different seat post (Fast Forward), new stem and aerobars I've got a pretty good aero position on my road bike.

I would have a certain amount of respect for the fitter who says that he may not have a bike that fits you, he's being honest/straight forward. I think getting a pro fit and being able to have that as a credit towards a new bike is a good deal.
2014-11-06 12:55 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Approach #3 is not that unusual. You can get an idea of what bikes might fit you and shop from there. Different bikes fit differently, and some have more adjustability than others.

Also, most people ride a smaller tri frame than road frame.
2014-11-06 8:16 AM

User image

i got the number 3 approach at my LBS as well - went in for the fit - and basically walked out with a list of bikes/sizes that were in my range so I could do the research and choose. I opted to go with a bike that my LBS carried (Trek Speed Concept) because i've learnt over the years a good LBS is worth its weight in gold
2014-11-06 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Just by what you said with your sizing (riding a 54 w/ a 90) I think that the 14P2 in a 54 will be too long for you. I ride a 55 with a 90 stem road bike and I fit the new 14P2 size 54, but only at the 79 seat angle, the 76 will be too much reach. I also use either an 80 or 90 stem on a tri bike. To be honest, a 51 would probably fit me a bit better but I need the larger head tube bc of some back issues.

Tri bike to road bike sizing is not apples to apple.

Option 3 is what a lot of shops do. When you get the initial fit, he can then size the new bike to the exact measurements of the fit.
2014-11-06 10:22 AM

to me option 3 seems like the most correct answer. They are going to determine you size and then find the bike that fits you. The first one is getting a bike off the shelf and adjusting it to fit you. Option 2 indicates he either doesn't sell or is knows about tri bikes.

This is my local tri store. it explains their fitting process it sounds like option 3
http://www.tritechmultisport.com/services.htm

2014-11-06 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

#3. 

Like he and others here said.  The fitting will dictate which model works best for your body type, some frames are long and low, others long and tall, and so forth.

2014-11-14 1:22 PM

I'm going through the same thought process myself. difference is i'm a really slow swimmer i know, do i want to take money i dont really have to buy a bike i'll race a few times a year? but if it makes the experience better, i am leaning towards it. i'm currently riding a felt z85, an entry point bike which is quite comfortable, but i just cant get aero on it. i've got clip on shorty bars and its not that comfortable and really difficult to handle. but i think its fair to say that if you go from a road bike to a Tri bike, you could increase your speed by 1.5-2 mph, all else being equal. and the way i see it, the less time i spend on the bike, the more gas i'll have in the tank to run!!

i think the 3rd option is the most popular one. people want everyone to support the local shop. but it also gives you the information you seek. the cost of the fit coudl be applied to a bike you buy there, or as my local shop said "i fit you for $250, you know what bikes will or will not fit you if you look on ebay or craigslist". they're realistic. and hey, you buy the fit from them, when you get your new (used) bike, where are you going to buy your other stuff from? the shop. kind of a win-win. saves us from buying a bike that looks like a good deal on the surface but the stem is not right and the aerobars are already cut. so you'd need to invest in new ones of those parts.

i just dont know if there is a benefit to any one type of fit vs another, but leaning towards the F.I.S.T. as its what the local guys do. i trust them, and i believe the fitter is more important than the system. in fact one local shop refers people to this place because they admit they arent set up to fit people properly on a tri bike.
2014-11-14 8:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Option #3 is pretty normal. I just went through a fitting and to my surprise I wouldn't fit on a few of the bikes I almost purchased. I paid $250 for the fitting an the fitter recommended 4-5 frames that would work for me. They offered $100 credit if I bought from them. I ended up getting a used frame...1 of the recommended frames from a seller on slowtwitch. Oddly enough I was riding a 2012 P2 Ultegra size 56 that I bought off Craigslist. I'll be selling tha ride shortly.

The moral of the story is fit first.

One other thing. I do have aero bars on my road bike too. That's how I started and still ride it that way pretty often. It worked well but I think my Tri bike is about 1 mph faster.

Edited by Nussy 2014-11-14 8:12 PM
2014-11-14 8:29 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
Always get a bike FIT prior to buying a bike.

Get the bike that FITS you the best, not the one you want the most.

Luckily for me, my body is setup for Cervelo. The P5 is like an extension of my body and fits me like a glove.

You are spending a lot of money on a bike that you will be spending a lot of time on. Make sure you take the time to do it right so you will be happy in the long run.

#3 sounds like the best deal to me.

I usually would recommend staying away from used bikes as there is usually no warranty.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon bike advice please Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Help Buying a Bike - Advice Please!!

Started by harleyclone
Views: 789 Posts: 8

2009-08-04 7:28 AM KathyG

More bike advice please

Started by crea0029
Views: 1162 Posts: 14

2008-02-15 3:16 PM smilford

Tri bike advice needed please

Started by devotchkatata
Views: 1155 Posts: 5

2006-05-26 7:16 PM devotchkatata

I need a bike! please help (advice)

Started by Jbacon
Views: 871 Posts: 7

2006-01-04 12:48 PM hk94

Bike buying advice, please!

Started by kimj81
Views: 1738 Posts: 8

2004-06-23 9:35 PM keriann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.