General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me understand Ironman Kona u Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-06 12:08 AM

Subject: Help me understand Ironman Kona u
So I am new to triathlon. I happen to have a coworker (never really talk to due to national location ) who has qualified as ag 6 x times. His wife qualified for the first time this year. So for me that is really neat. I have no real dreams of going there ever happening. I just want to understand the jump from qualifying to actual times at kona and how can the discrepancy be so large. I have researched qualifying times for many different age groups on a world wide scope. It seems like no matter your age 40 to 60 you have to throw down a 9 hr to 11 hr (taking a guess on real averages ) to "garner a spot to,kona ". I am totally addicted to watching The 2013 iroanman world championship broadcast. If you see some of the pieces on some of the athletes you can't understand how they got there in the first place. Take for instance a father / daughter team.,, did not finish due to bike crash a couple of years ago. Made bike cutoff by short margin only to cash it in at 11 mile mark on run. If you watch farther in the program you see so many people finishing much closer to the 15 to 17 hr mark. I just don't understand how these people made it there. All my research shows they had to do so much faster to get to Kona. How can they slow down so much so they barely make the end 17 hr time end or even 25 hrs.
I understand Kona is the ultimate goal. How do people finish so far behind the research times to just get there. ???? This really bothers me

2014-11-06 12:16 AM
in reply to: #5065630

Subject: RE: Help me understand Ironman Kona u
Sorry. I guess I don't understand how you basically have to finish in 9 to 11 hrs to get into Kona and so many people finish kona around 15 to 17!hrs. Is it that much different than any qualifying race just to get there
2014-11-06 12:52 AM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Lots of those you see coming in late are there via lottery, or other means of getting. The vast majority get there by qualification, but there are other slots as well.

Plus, for some, that is the second IM of the year, and they are there just for the experience. But, for those you are talking about, they are likely there via some other method than qualification.
2014-11-06 2:06 AM

User image

Not everyone that races at kona qualified. If you want perspective at how fast the guys are at kona, look at what the median finish time is for kona and compare that to any other IM.
2014-11-06 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

How do people finish so far behind the research times to just get there. ???? This really bothers me

the same way you see people finishing the Boston Marathon in 7 hours... they didn't qualify.  As others have said, Kona has all sorts of slots for those who enter the lottery and get in, those for corporate sponsors, those they "give" to the folks you see on TV with the heartfelt stories, etc.

2014-11-06 7:54 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

(jra0lz.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
jra0lz.jpg (46KB - 1 downloads)

2014-11-06 10:40 PM

User image

Champion
MA

At Kona 200 slots are for regular folks. Some go to lottery winners and others go to 12x finishers of WTC IM branded races.  Plus some fast folks have off days just like any of us. There are far fewer 14+ hour finishers at Kona than a regular IM race. WTC does give slots to certain folks that they want racing...can be famous athlete in another sport, a celebrity, or whoever WTC deems worthy to enter. Apollo Ohno did it this year and he was a very fast triathlete for just getting into the sport. Former NFL players sometimes get spots as other famous chefs or the like.

What time is needed to qualify depends on race and what AG. Qualifying times for Men over 70 and women over 65 is slower than the 9-11 hour timeframe you mention.  I personally love seeing older athletes complete IM. A 84 yo man just finished IMFL last weekend as oldest finisher of any IM nd will be competing at Kona next year in the 85+ AG if WTC indeed makes that a new AG. How many of our parents or grandparents can you see doing IM in their 80's? It's awesome!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me understand Ironman Kona u Rss Feed