The North Face
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 22m 11s
Overall Rank = 78/123
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 10/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 06:00, ate a banana and some warmed up granola. It was c=old and blustery outside so I overdressed a little. Technical t-shirt, with a long sleeve cotton shirt over. The cotton shirt would be dropped at an aid station when no longer needed. Really debated before deciding to wear tights under my shorts. My tights are for cycling, and I have never had a good feeling run in them. I figured it was all mental, and decided to wear them.

Spent 15 minutes trying to do my "business" without any success. The Dr, and El Bruja blanco (the white witch, it's the Dr's nickname for his wife :) ) and I walked from the condo to start, and got ready to run in the cool morning. Ahead was a race from 7000-10,000 ft and back again (and more) through single track trails, aspen and pine forest, and across open ski slopes knee and hip deep in late season grass on each side of the trail. I was excited, and thought I was ready.
Event warmup:

No warmup, the slow start of the race would be sufficient
Run
  • 7h 22m 11s
  • 50 kms
  • 08m 50s  min/km
Comments:

Not sure how much to go into here. I think I'll try and keep it short.

Started off great. The first 12 miles I paced off El Bruja, and felt really good. No issues with anything for the whole climb. We climbed from 7,000 to 10,000 ft over the first 12 miles or so. I thought I had a chance to hang with my friends for some time. I did alright at the first two aid stations, I don't think I hurt myself there. A PB&J quarter, a couple shot blocks, a little sports drink and the like.

Around mile 12 I was dealt the first blow. The downhills were tough. We had been climbing single track through forest, but the trail was pretty much rock free. When we broke over the trail turned to loose broken granite. Fist sized, just perfect to turn an ankle or send you headlong into a painful fall. I'm a foot taller, and 50lbs heavier than my "pacer", she flew down these trails, and left me in the dust. I then made a tactical error. I pushed to catch her when the trails permitted. I cranked up my HR and effort for no real reason. After the next couple gnarly descents I got a hold of myself, and toned it down, but I burned matches I would sorely need later.

Somewhere in here I bit it. It was a easy open logging road. The view was incredible. I was looking over a gorgeous vista of Aspens in full color down in the valley below, and mis-stepped. Fortunatley I was able to tuck and roll and not take out the guy I was passing. No damage done, and I was still feeling good.

I made it into aid station 3. This is where I made several errors that really hurt me.
Error 1. I ate skittles, m&m's, drank Mtn. Dew, ate a PB&J quarter, and a single salted potato piece.Too much, too soon in all the wrong ratios.
Error 2. I saw my pacer come out of the porta and get ready to go. I did not avail myself to the facilities.
Error 3. I took off again with my pacer. She was refreshed, I was not.

The result. After less than a mile I fell off pace. It was a gentle downhill, and I was losing time. My stomach was queasy. The sugar overload, and backed up plumbing put me in a tough spot. My "pacer" pulled away and I was on my own for a bit. I kept going, running the flats and downs, and hiking the up. Soon El Bruja's husband caught up with me. He hung with me for a bit, then decided it was time to track her down. He tried to pull me along, but I just didn't have it, and I let him go.

I was miserable and ecstatic at the same time. My legs hurt, my stomach felt miserable, I couldn't stomach even a sip of sports drink, and could only drink water. I was not in good shape, and only halfway through the race. However, I am not whining or complaining, the trail was beautiful. It was a soft, moist mountain trail. I was running through pine forest, then into cleared ski runs with waist high green grass on both sides of the trail. Then into aspen groves. At one point I came around a corner in a grove to see the sunlight streaming through the treetops, with leaves gently floating down in the sunlight. It was one of the most serene moments in my life. Challenges notwithstanding, I was lucky to be out there, and I know it.

I kept at it. I was hiking all the uphills, and still running the downs. There was a nice long downhill into Aid Station 4, and I actually felt pretty good heading in, although I was tired. Turns out I actually made OK time. I came up to the awesomest aid station I have experienced yet, there was music, pretty girls dressed for Oktoberfest, and although I don't drink they may have handed over their own personal beers to other runners who needed that extra boost. My running friends were just finishing up. They had taken a good break there, I suspect they might have been waiting for me to give me a boost. They counseled me to take a rest, get refreshed and then go, then they took off.

I hit the aid station, and drank about 16oz of water, ate some potato chips, and a potato piece rolled in salt. I also ate a shot block or two. It's funny, I couldn't handle Lemon-Lime sports drink or anything else sweet, but the shot blocks were good. I dumped out the Lemon-Lime in my waist bottle, and filled both with water. After way too long at the station I took off again. Coming up was the most challenging part of the whole race.

The section from Aid station 4 to 5 was a loop, ending up back at the same station.The tough part was the 600+ ft of drop out of the aid station, and with every step down knowing I had to earn it back to make it back to Shangri-La. I'm not sure of all the reasons, mental or physical, but I found myself walking some of downhills. I tired to keep the walk breaks to a minimum, but they were more frequent than I would have liked. I made it to the bottom of the loop, and started the long hike back up. There was no thought of running up these hills. Just when I should have been the most discourage I had some fantastic experiences that perked me up a bit. Starting up the slope I merged with two ladies on horseback. We chatted about their horses, and I talked about mine (which are being severely underutilized now that I started using my own legs :) ) That helped pass some time and distance. Then coming around a corner an looking up a slope I saw several mule deer sneaking across a ski run. I'm sure they were very discomfited by all the crazies in spandex in their woods. Finally nearing the top, I noticed my fingers and wrists were swollen. I was a little concerned, and not sure if I was under, over, or just right hydrated, and what they cause was. eventually I was back to the aid station, now #5 hallelujah!

I took my time again. I dumped out my mostly full bottle of water that still tasted too much like Lemon-Lime for me to stomach and got fresh water. Then proceeded to chow down on a bunch of boiled potatoes rolled in salt, and chased with several cups of coke. Best decision I could have made. The coke settled my stomach, and the salt started to bring my electrolytes back into balance. (Within a mile of leaving the aid station the finger and wrist swelling had all but disappeared)

Leaving Aid station #5 I felt good again, mentally and physically. I was tired, don't get me wrong, but I was ready. Maybe it was the nutrition, or just knowing it was literally all downhill from there. Regardless I was ready. I took off at a steady trot, belching loudly to the amusement (or maybe disgust) of the ladies passing me on the trail.

Somewhere in here I found my mantra, you know that little saying you repeat to yourself to keep going. I was running along on legs of lead, huffing like a locomotive, and still stupid slow, and I just kept asking myself, "Why are still running?" Then I would answer, "because I can" That litany kept me going and running for much longer than I thought possible.

Funnily enough I finally decided to take off my stupid tights. I mean there was only about 2 miles left, and there I was sitting on a rock stripping off my tights. All of the sudden my running felt natural and good again. Stupid tights (yes I'm blaming them even though they are most likely not the issue :) )

Finally I could see the finish, hear the music, and then saw my wife and friends cheering me in to the finish line. No I didn't cry, yes my eyeballs did start to sweat a little.

What else can I say. It hurt. I wanted to just lay down and not move, but I felt incredibly alive. I'm already signed up for my next 50k trail run. (So much for keeping the report short)
What would you do differently?:

1) hydrate with water only between stations. Coke at later stations as needed.
2) Have a food plan for each aid station (yet, be willing to change as needed on the fly)
3)Work on trail running skills to pick up the free speed I lost on the tougher descents
4) Wear and race by my HRM (until I recognize my body better)
5) I should say to not run a marathon two weeks before, but I know that I will probably do the exact same thing next year. Instead, I will increase training to toughen myself up.

Post race
Warm down:

Ice bath for my cramping quads and calves. Hydrate, ate the post race meal. Wanted a massage, but there was too long of a wait. That is my one and only gripe about the race and post race, but it is a minor one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. cycling tights ( true or not, I'm blaming them, and never running In them again)
2. Overall fitness. I was road marathon fit, not trail 50k fit
3. GI issues, queasy and uncomfortable for almost the whole race
4. No nutrition strategy, suspect it led directly to issue 3
5. Relied too much on my competitive pacer, should have just ran my own race.
6. Inexperience, no idea of how I should pace myself for the distance
7. Fatigue from my first marathon 2 weeks prior.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
07:22:11 | 50 kms | 08m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 78/123
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-11-07 11:32 PM

User image

Subject: North Face Endurance Challenge

2014-11-12 9:30 PM
in reply to: #5066118

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: North Face Endurance Challenge
Nice work out there. Nothing worthwhile comes easy.
2014-11-13 9:18 AM
in reply to: #5066118

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Looks pretty epic! Two weeks after a marathon I'm usually just eating Twinkies...

Nice work and good luck with the next one.
2014-11-14 5:41 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Thanks for the comments. I agree on both counts, although I'm more ding dong than twinkie

I gotta admit, even though it wasn't a great performance I'm awfully proud of this race. In fact this is the only race shirt I've ever worn to work. Normally I'ma button up shirt guy, but I've worn the painfully bright green shirt to work several times now.

Overall a cool experience that I learned so much from
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Face Endurance Challenge Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

North Face Endurance Challenge 10K

Started by calimavs
Views: 981 Posts: 1

2009-12-06 7:20 PM calimavs

The North Face Endurance Challenge - Half Marathon

Started by Gritty
Views: 925 Posts: 1

2009-10-25 7:52 AM Gritty

North Face Endurance Challenge

Started by Daloraev
Views: 1025 Posts: 1

2008-10-28 9:42 PM Daloraev

The North Face Endurance Challenge

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1831 Posts: 10

2008-05-15 12:52 PM swbkrun

The North Face Endurance Challenge - 50 km

Started by poweredbyfear
Views: 1341 Posts: 3

2007-12-11 11:26 PM joebowler
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.