General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How in the world do pool swim races work? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-08 7:12 AM

User image

Subject: How in the world do pool swim races work?
I keep thinking of the swims starts that I've been a part of.... waves of about 100 going off one after another. I can't picture the logistics of triathlons with a pool swim. How do they get all those athletes through? How do you count all those laps for all those people?

2014-11-08 7:30 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: How in the world do pool swim races work?
It's not a mass start, you come with a seed time and they send the swimmers off one at a time, usually like 15 seconds apart. You do one out and back in a lane, duck under the rope, and then onto the next lane, so by the end you've done a serpentine route back and forth progressing through each of the lanes.
2014-11-08 7:50 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

I'm guessing that these don't happen in 25 metre pools. In a 50 m pool, you'd have to do 16 lengths which means you'd need eight lanes to complete the 800 m swim for a sprint. If you have 300 participants, then it would be well over an hour before everyone started. Is that right? What do they do for Olympic distance? Is it difficult to pass?
2014-11-08 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by b2run

I'm guessing that these don't happen in 25 metre pools. In a 50 m pool, you'd have to do 16 lengths which means you'd need eight lanes to complete the 800 m swim for a sprint. If you have 300 participants, then it would be well over an hour before everyone started. Is that right? What do they do for Olympic distance? Is it difficult to pass?

I have only seen Sprint races in pool swims. 300 - 400 meter swims.

Goes by quick.
2014-11-08 8:48 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GODAWGS
Originally posted by b2run I'm guessing that these don't happen in 25 metre pools. In a 50 m pool, you'd have to do 16 lengths which means you'd need eight lanes to complete the 800 m swim for a sprint. If you have 300 participants, then it would be well over an hour before everyone started. Is that right? What do they do for Olympic distance? Is it difficult to pass?
I have only seen Sprint races in pool swims. 300 - 400 meter swims. Goes by quick.

That's what I've seen too. 400m pool swim. Serpentine, which is down & back, move over a lane. 8 lane pool gives a 400m swim. Different events have different rules on passing & flip turns. Another possibility is staying in the lane and counting laps.

2014-11-08 9:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
There is this great local sprint in Stowe that has heats and goes off 8 or 9 at a time. Then we do a pursuit start on the bike according to your pool time, and finish the run off normally. It's a great local event that many people do for their first taste of triathlon.

2014-11-08 9:36 AM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

Originally posted by rsmoylan

There is this great local sprint in Stowe that has heats and goes off 8 or 9 at a time. Then we do a pursuit start on the bike according to your pool time, and finish the run off normally. It's a great local event that many people do for their first taste of triathlon.

Doesn't that give the people who finished earliest longer to rest?
2014-11-08 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Originally posted by b2run

Originally posted by rsmoylan

Doesn't that give the people who finished earliest longer to rest?

It does. When we register, we submit a seed time and the heats are slowest to fastest. It absolutely gives an advantage to the earlier heats, but like I said, it is a really laid back local event that draws about 100 people. In the 5 years I have been doing the race, I have not seen anyone submit any egregious seed times.
2014-11-08 10:17 AM
in reply to: #5066129

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I've done both serpentine swims as have been described, and wave starts where there are as many as 5 in a lane that do a circle swim. The wave starts have a volunteer at each lane who counts the laps of each person. Passing is generally only allowed at the walls. You tap the swimmer in front on the feet and they let you pass at the next wall.

The only Olympic event I've done in a pool was a 50 meter pool, serpentine swim, after going through all lanes, get out and go back to lane 1 and do a second set.

I've done pool events with as many as 1000 people. Because of the time trial start of a serpentine swim it's not possible to be racing head to head with anyone. The wave starts allow head to head racing with everyone in a wave. It can take a few hours after finishing for results to be known.

All pool swims are based on seeded times, but some people seed themselves incorrectly.

I did one that I called a hilly swim because it involved starting in an inside pool, doing a serpentine swim of 300, then going outside, running up a hill and doing 200 more in an outside pool.
2014-11-08 11:58 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I did one that split the race over 2 days.
Basically, you swam to seed yourself for the duathlon the next day. The funniest part was the bike start. After the countdown, the gun goes off, and everyone stands around till the red clock shows their swim time.
2014-11-08 4:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have done several pool tris (I did sprint distance, but they also had Olympic). Sprint distance had a 700 or 800m swim (very few sprint tris have distances less than 700m here).

They are all time trial start with people entering the pool every 15s. You seed yourself by time, and there are waves of 20-30 swimmers every 15 minutes. When you get to the end of the lane at the other end you go under the rope, so up and down each lane once and you make your way across the pool serpentine-style. The pool had 8 lanes, so for the Olympic distance, participants would get out of the pool and start again.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-11-08 4:32 PM

2014-11-08 10:05 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

And yes, it sometimes is difficult to pass. Ideally if everyone seeded themselves properly this wouldn't be an issue, but many people don't swim at a consistent pace. There are usually rules about waiting to pass until you get to the end of a length. I have been stuck in a mass of people a few times, but other times I was slowing people down (lots of people seem to go out too fast or seed themselves too slowly). You just deal with it- to me it's a lot better than getting worried about getting kicked in the face or worrying about wearing a wetsuit outside.
2014-11-08 10:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Our local race has an indoor swim but it's a reverse order tri. You run a 5k, bike 12.5 and then finish with a 300 swim. The run and the bike spread the field out enough that there is plenty of space in the water.Works very well!

Edited by tedjohn 2014-11-08 10:18 PM
2014-11-10 7:08 AM

My son did a pool swim where it was 800y circle swim they had about 5 kids in each lane. There was a lap counter / timer for each lane.
2014-11-10 7:40 AM

User image

Groton, New York
The sprint tri I do every spring begins in the pool. I believe there are 5 or 6 lanes in the YMCA pool. They start two people in each lane. You stay on your side of the lane and swim back and forth for 16 pool lengths (400 yards). They have a volunteer assigned to each swimmer that stands on the end of the lane with a lane-counter flip book. Last page of the flip book is a red page signifying you are done. It is all run in multiple heats of 10 or 12 racers per heat. There are only a few hundred racers registered for the race and heats start every 15 minutes. It is a fun race and it is well organized. Seems to work out pretty well and it is a nice race for beginners (due to the short swim) and the fact that it is in the spring so it kicks starts you for the rest of the season. 400 yards swim, 15 mile bike, 4.2 mile run.
2014-11-10 8:00 PM

I have done sprint distances in the pool before. In my experience its usually done by time seeding fastest to slowest in multiple heats. Then depending on the # of participants its 2-3 per lane circle swimming. One or two counters per each lane depending on the race and # of volunteers available.

I have done one that was a serpentine swim, but that was only once when it was to cold (was in the 30's) so the swim was done last. Serpentine was used to ease congestion since there was no way easily do lane swimming with the counters available.

-S

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How in the world do pool swim races work? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How does a pool swim work?

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 1501 Posts: 19

2012-02-07 8:19 AM Musicodm

So how does a pool swim work?

Started by wrighthenry
Views: 3210 Posts: 10

2011-06-06 12:26 PM beebs

How does pool swim event work?

Started by SunBum
Views: 785 Posts: 7

2009-09-21 1:29 AM Bigpikle

Pool Swim Trianing to Lake Swim Racing

Started by Lance26.2
Views: 2334 Posts: 6

2008-04-20 6:33 PM Shoeless

Anyone done a Tri with a pool swim?

Started by keepitup
Views: 1172 Posts: 9

2005-05-18 12:21 PM tim_edwards
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on Ironman swim training without a pool and race pacing.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.