General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else looking at the 4iii power meter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-08 5:40 PM

, Wisconsin
Subject: Anyone else looking at the 4iii power meter?
In less than a year, I've gone from very "untech" (ie, didn't own a HR monitor until April) to wanting to train with power on the bike. I just don't want to spend more than some of my bikes are worth to do it. The 4iii power meter at $399 looks promising. Their website says first batch is sold out with more to ship 1st qtr of 2015. Anybody get one of the first ones? Anybody else thinking of ordering? I'd be using it with my Garmin 510.

2014-11-08 9:45 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Anyone else looking at the 4iii power meter?
I was, but does not work with the cranks I have on the bike. I don't want to switch cranks, so looking for an other option. I picked up a used SWorks Venge with a Quark power meter installed during the summer and really like training with power on the road. Been using a CompuTrainer for years but this is my first bike with a PM.
2014-11-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by magic

I was, but does not work with the cranks I have on the bike.

Same here. While I wouldn't mind switching to a compact crank, my bike has a megaEXO BB and I won't be keeping it forever. When I upgrade, I'll want to take the PM with me and it is unlikely that the new one will have the same, somewhat obscure BB. My hope is that the precision scares garmin into re-offering the $200 rebate and getting some vectors...or perhaps just the left for now.
2014-11-09 6:21 PM

I'm interested, but I'll probably compare vs a used power tap wheel as well.
2014-11-09 7:39 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Originally posted by dfroelich

I was, but does not work with the cranks I have on the bike.

Same here. While I wouldn't mind switching to a compact crank, my bike has a megaEXO BB and I won't be keeping it forever. When I upgrade, I'll want to take the PM with me and it is unlikely that the new one will have the same, somewhat obscure BB. My hope is that the precision scares garmin into re-offering the $200 rebate and getting some vectors...or perhaps just the left for now.

I ended going with Power2max with my Felt B16, which had an FSA BB. A BB30 fit my bike and only costs like $45 and was super easy to install. Something you may want look into. Don't limit your PM options just because of your stock BB. Anyway...

I think the 4iii looks sweet. My bike wouldn't work with Stages (hit the back brake) so I don't know if this would work too but if last year I'd be all over a $400 PM! It looks a little off for accuracy (according to DC rainmaker) but definitely close enough to make it a good tool. Also anyone looking to getting a PM, wait until Black Friday. I bought mine ~4 weeks before and then they had like a $150 off deal for black Friday. Grrr.... Maybe the 4iii will be even cheaper.
2014-11-09 11:07 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
I've been waiting for the Brim Brothers Zone as an option that follows me around and not the bike, crank, or wheel. I'm on their preorder and waiting. I race track and use SpeedPlays so the Zone works for me. Guess a draw back is my road and track shoes are different from my Tri shoes. I'd take the couple extra seconds in T1 to put on three strap shoe to have a PM in a race. I like training with the Quark on my road bike. Wow does it keep you honest.

2014-11-10 3:47 PM
in reply to: magic

, Wisconsin

I've been waiting for the Brim Brothers Zone as an option that follows me around and not the bike, crank, or wheel. I'm on their preorder and waiting. I race track and use SpeedPlays so the Zone works for me. Guess a draw back is my road and track shoes are different from my Tri shoes. I'd take the couple extra seconds in T1 to put on three strap shoe to have a PM in a race. I like training with the Quark on my road bike. Wow does it keep you honest.

Glad you mentioned this one, looks interesting. Over my price range and pedals on both bikes are Look Keos. Still, it would be nice to be able to switch the meter between different bikes. That's my new ideal: under $400 and switchable between bikes Funny thing is, I bet if I wait 12-24 months something like that will probably be available. But darn, I'm not getting younger and I really don't want to wait too long . . .
2014-11-11 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by MikeD1 In less than a year, I've gone from very "untech" (ie, didn't own a HR monitor until April) to wanting to train with power on the bike. I just don't want to spend more than some of my bikes are worth to do it. The 4iii power meter at $399 looks promising. Their website says first batch is sold out with more to ship 1st qtr of 2015. Anybody get one of the first ones? Anybody else thinking of ordering? I'd be using it with my Garmin 510.

I'm going to wait for the first round of bugs to clear out.  I am very interested in this PM.  The price point and size make it very attractive.

2014-11-11 5:33 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Originally posted by MikeD1

Glad you mentioned this one, looks interesting. Over my price range and pedals on both bikes are Look Keos. Still, it would be nice to be able to switch the meter between different bikes. That's my new ideal: under $400 and switchable between bikes Funny thing is, I bet if I wait 12-24 months something like that will probably be available. But darn, I'm not getting younger and I really don't want to wait too long . . .

Not quite at your price point yet, but the Watteam Powerbeat is supposed to be $499 when it gets released, and they are shooting for a $50 upgrade to add the sensors to another bike. We'll see if they can meet their summer of 2015 release date. Oh and that price is for both legs.

http://watteam.com/

Edited by bufordt 2014-11-11 5:33 PM
2014-11-12 8:02 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I'm keeping a close eye on the 4iiii to see how it performs. I'm looking to get power on my bike at the start of next season, so getting in on the first batch of 4iiii isn't a big deal for me (and as msteiner said above, let them work all the bugs out before I get in on round 2 or 3).

What I really like is the option to get two of them, put them on both cranks, and get true dual sided power like the Vector. Even though I will need to replace my crankset (My FSA Vision doesn't have the flat back that the 4iiii can adhere to), I can get dual power & a new Ultegra crankset for under $1,000. That's a pretty darn good price for true dual power.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else looking at the 4iii power meter? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 7950 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Can anyone calculate watts without a power meter??

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 4925 Posts: 23

2010-07-23 11:52 AM couch2kona

Anyone hear of metrigear force/power meter?

Started by Slidell4life
Views: 1824 Posts: 15

2009-11-17 12:20 AM audiojan

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1939 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui

anyone use a power meter?

Started by trish123
Views: 1081 Posts: 9

2005-07-14 11:29 AM Manatee Express
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.

date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.
date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.